A resume header is the first thing a recruiter will look at on your resume.
You've come to the right place to learn how to make a resume header that will increase your chances of getting that coveted interview.
Resume Headings carry all your personal, contact and social media information information. They introduce you to the recruiter and are (correctly) given a lot of importance while making a resume.
Using a poor resume header format can even mess with the ATS software used by many hiring managers.
Imagine that your contact information in resume header is not correctly picked up by the Applicant Tracking System. Now, the recruiter can't get in touch with you even if they are interested!
Do not worry! We have got your back.
By the end of this guide, you will be able to:
- Tell what differentiates good resume headings from bad ones
- Create the best resume header that that will grab the recruiters' attention as well as pass the ATS test
- Use our resume header examples given at the end of this guide to create your own header for resume
This blog post will cover the following topics:
What is the Resume Header?
Well as the name suggests, a resume header is the heading of your resume. It's at the top of your resume and mainly contains your name, resume title, contact information along with social and professional information.
To make your resume writing experience effortless, we have got some hacks:
- Put your personal contact info in the correct order
- Include your name, resume title, location, phone number, & email address
- Add extra information like LinkedIn id, only if relevant
- Make it easily readable by styling it right.
- Do not start your resume by naming it as Resume
Skip to the end of the article to see our resume header examples.
Why do you need Resume Headers?
It is convenient to have the name of the candidate at the beginning of you resume - both for the recruiter and for the candidate.
A resume header serves the purpose of identifying your resume. In fact, we suggest the use of colours in this section to differeniate it from the body of the resume.
Hiration PRO TIP: Additionally ensure that your resume file name is saved as per the name in your resume header.
Resume Heading Format
The resume header format that you choose, should always be at the starting of the page.
Select it as the left margin or ut it at the center. Your name is the most important thing, and the second most important things being your phone number and e-mail address.
Then add additional unformation like a clickable website or social media links.
There are different type of resume header formats but contact information format is always the same and it comes first.
If you want to directly look at resume headers examples, you can skip to the end of this article.
Make sure that your name is the most visible part of your resume. Your name will make your resume stand apart from hundreds of other resumes.
- Make your name the biggest thing on your resume.
- If you have different names (like Tenneth, Tenny, or a maiden name), you should use the version that is most searchable on the internet.
- Keep the name same across all of your profiles that you have listed. Your portfolio website, Twitter handle, and LinkedIn profile should all belong to you.
What is resume title?
A resume title presents your profile to the recruiter in one word or a couple of words. It's what you are professionally- your work profile summarized in a word or two.
As important as it sounds to list the title on your resume, it is the most unattended one. Take care of the following points so that you do not forget to add the right title:
- Add the job title to your resume in a 1 or 2 pt smaller font than the name. Example: DevOps Engineer.
- If you have certification or a key license, list it in the professional resume header. Example: Certified MongoDB Architect.
To find the right resume title example for your resume, head to our online resume builder.
Next thing is to add your address, however, this is the aspect that can be left unlisted for privacy concerns.
Hiring managers usually look for people near their company. This prevents them from funding their travel.
Instead of your full address, you can simply list the city/region.
A phone number is by far the most common way for hiring managers to contact you!
- List your personal contact number and which is widely accessible.
- Do not include your present work phone.
- Make sure that your phone has a decent voice mail message.
Email is a fairly common way that managers use to reach out to the fellow applicants.
- After your phone number, write a professional-looking email address.
- A good looking email would contain first name, last name and a widely used email provider like gmail or microsoft.
- One email address is enough.
- Do not use your current work email.
- Avoid any email id that includes slangs or jargons. Ex: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Still wondering about the best resume contact information ideas? Check out Hiration's guide for 2019: Contact Details in Resume: 2019 Guide to Listing Contact Information on Resume
How to Make a Resume Header stand out
We have got some extra tips for an actractive resume name header design.
Usually people do not consider these hacks and fall short of scoring in the interviews.
Spend less time wondering and more time conditioning your resume header with the following tips:
A web address is usually not needed in your resume heading.
However, if you have a job-related online portfolio or website, you can include it. It is a good way to let the recruiter focus on your potential.
Adding a portfolio will work exceptionally for good online projects. The software engineers, architects, interior designers, graphic designers and artists should include portfolios.
A lot of recruiters now use LinkedIn to hire potential job seekers.
Adding a decently managed LinkedIn profile in your resume header will help the recruiter to know more about you. He can browse through your endorsements and key skills, projects and volunteer expereinces.
Your connections and past jobs will give him a fair idea of your reach and professional potential.
Your LinkedIn orofile should be up-to-date and prsonalized. Optimize your profile with the right profile summary, background oicture, profile image and ATS keywords.
If you're a person in the field of information technology, or a student who has completed many coding projects, it is ideal that you include your Github profile for your resume to stand out from the rest.
Want your resume to stand out? Get our free 2019 checklist and learn what makes a job-winning resume: [2019 Resume Tips: Must Read List of Do's and Don'ts for your Resume +Example
If you directly want to choose a resume header template, you can move to the last section of this guide.
What not to include in your resume header
A prominent question right now from job seekers, especially those who recently graduated from an online degree program, is: Should I include social media links on my resume?
Since most of us use Facebook and Instagram for personal interests, catching up with friends, sharing articles and photos, etc. it may be better to leave your personal profiles off of your resume.
Recruiters hardly look for these links anyway. In case they do, your personal account may have the potential to change the recruiters decision.
However, if you maintain an official or a professional account or a portfolio page on either Facebook or Instagram which would serve to leave an impression to the recruiter, you should mention it in your resume header or your resume body.
However, be very sure that the page or profile is professionally maintained and does not defy any standards or abuse guidelines.
It is best to keep your resume as professional and as crisp as possible. However, most might consider the inclusion of Twitter as it expresses opinions.
Once again, opinions can be extremely personal and may not align with the views of the organization which the candidate is targeting.
Once again, if you maintain a professional Twitter page, you may include it compliment your resume.
Irrelevant personal details
Quite like anything personal, your physical characteristics like:
or beliefs or creed like:
- political wing
opens the door to the possibility of accusations of discrimination against the company.
Recruiters prefer that you do not include any physical descriptions or any political or personal channels so as to reduce any possibilities of prejudice during the time of hiring.
It is ideal that you are only hired on the basis of your professional expertise.
10+ Resume Header Examples
Each of these resume heading example has been created by our experts on our online resume builder.
Feel free to build your own resume heading using these!
To see more resume heading examples, log in to our online resume builder and see 100+ templates.
2 Page Resume Header
Although a 1 page resume header is fine in most cases, sometimes you might want to create a resume header on every page of your resume.
You can easily do this in word. Read the section below.
How to Create a Word Resume Header
If you want to create a resume header in word, we have got some hacks for you.
- When creating a word resume header, do not use Word's document heading. It is not applicant tracking software friendly.
- You should left align your margin or pu it in center.
- Try to use large 20-24 point font for your name heading.
- Put the rest of your contact information in 10-14 point font below.
- The most readable resume heading font that look professonal, like Helvetica, Arial and Cambria.
DO NOT hit send, yet
Before sending your resume, one thing you need to recheck is:
You should reread your contact details and make sure they are correct. This is to avoid accidental mishaps.
Make sure you have added the right portfolio or certification.
Do not overly design your resume header to make it stand out. Odd designs, colors, and fonts distract from important contact information. Exhibit your skills in your LinkedIn profile or online portfolio instead.
Resume Header Checklist
The key to get your contact information noticed by the recruiter is a nicley aligned resume header!
Follow the following steps to stand out:
- Give the biggest font size to your name. Make it a resume heading.
- Add your job title as a sub heading and mention any required certification or license.
- Add your best accessible phone number and a professional email address.
- Mention your region and state. You may omit the full street address.
- Add the relevant social media handles if the job requires social media skills.
Earn brownie points by inserting a link to a LinkedIn profile and/or a portfolio site.