What do employers look for in a computer science student resume?
A computer science student resume is generally written by CS Graduates and CS Students who are still pursuing the course. As such, employers are inclined to look for your academic details, relevant projects, and internship experience in a computer science student resume.
But most importantly, employers look for signs of exceptionalism in your computer science skills (such as coding and website designing) and your technical skills. As such, you should present a list of the programming languages you know, databases you are familiar with, and software you can work with.
Here's a perfect sample resume for computer science student jobs:
We will teach you how to put this information effectively in your computer science resume. But before we begin, here's a summary of our Computer Science Student Resume 2020 Blog:
- Write an impeccable resume summary for computer science student jobs & internships. It should be crisp and effective to keep the recruiter interested.
- Use the month & year format to showcase dates. Example: Jun '20. Use the city/state code format to showcase your location. Example: New York, NY.
- Use one-liner points to communicate the details of your professional experience and past internships. Mark relevant words or phrases in bold to divert attention to your achievement and career highlights.
- Based on the nature of your career trajectory, organize your resume using the right resume format for computer science students.
- To perfect a resume for computer science student fresher jobs, perfect the objective statement. Moreover, write an achievement-based internship sections and mention relevant certifications (if any).
. . . all so you can get the entry-level CS job or internship of your dreams!
Now that you have a rough idea of what to put in your computer science student resume, let's discuss what you can do to perfect it.
To write an impeccable computer science student resume, follow the 7 resume tips we have listed below:
- Choose the Right Format for your Computer Science Student Resume
- Enhance your Resume Presentation using Relevant Sections
- Perfect the Header Section of your Computer Science Student Resume
- Present your Internship Details effectively
- Provide your Academic Details in the Education Section
- Outline your CS Skills under a distinct Key Skills Section
- Curate an Effective Summary for your Computer Science Student Resume
Perfecting your computer science resume can help you catch the recruiter's attention and advance your shortlist chances. Following the above tips can help you achieve the resume perfection you deserve to get shortlisted for your target jobs.
In this blog, we will discuss the above-listed resume tips in detail. This will teach you how to write an impeccable computer science student resume from scratch.
We have also provided relevant computer science student resume examples for each section. This is aimed at helping you understand what each section of your computer science resume should look like when perfected.
That said, feel free to use our Online Resume Builder to revolutionize your resume. It has an in-built computer science student resume template that is pre-filled & optimized. You can easily modify the template to design your resume - just how you like it.
Moving on, here's a list of the topics we will cover in this blog:
Choose the Right Format for your Computer Science Student Resume
Choosing the right resume format for computer science students should be top of priority. Why?
Because resume formats are important. They help you effectively shape your resume. As such, you need to choose the ideal computer science student resume format for you.
We advise you to use the reverse chronological resume format to structure your resume. Here's why:
- It helps you present information in a reverse-timeline order. This means that your most recent work or internship experience is displayed first, following by your education details and so on.
- This format helps you showcase your most relevant information first. As such, it helps you make a relevant resume for computer science student fresher.
- Secondly, this resume format is the preferred format for recruiters. It is also the most commonly used resume format, making it reader-friendly.
- This means that if you choose this computer science student resume format, you will be able to write a recruiter's preferred resume type.
Enhance your Resume Presentation using Relevant Sections
Writing a resume for a computer science student is not as difficult as it might seem. All you have to do is present information using the following resume sections:
- Personal Information
- Profile Title
- Key Skills
- Certifications (if any)
Make sure you use the above-mentioned order to organize your sections.
Doing this will help you write a presentable resume for a computer science student.
It might not seem this way, but presentation matters.
Without resume sections, your resume will be a poorly composed document with randomly arranged data. This badly presented information will hamper the readability of your computer science resume.
Without a good presentation, you can't make a reader-friendly resume. And without a reader-friendly resume, your resume would be less likely to get read & evaluated in totality. Meaning: you won't get shortlisted for the job.
Our advice: use the resume sections we have presented above.
Additionally, feel free to use our Online Resume Builder. It is designed to ace the resume perfection test and help you write an optimized computer science resume.
Perfect the Header Sections of your Computer Science Student Resume
The header sections of a resume comprise of three things:
- Resume Header
- Personal Information
- Profile Title
Your job here is to perfect them all.
Computer Science Student Resume: Header
Here are some resume tips for the resume header of your computer science student resume:
- Don't label your resume with a generic 'CV' or 'Resume'.
- Instead, write your real full name at the topmost part of your computer science resume in a 16-20 font size.
- The idea is to use a relatively larger font size for your resume header so that a recruiter can instantly identify that the resume belongs to you.
- If you have a middle name, write your first name, followed by the first initial of your middle name in capital letters, followed by your last name. Example "Lana M. Davis"
Here's a computer science student resume example illustrating the ideal resume header:
This is a snapshot of a computer science student resume template that we have made using our Online Resume Builder.
For more computer science student resume examples like this, read on.
Computer Science Student Resume: Personal Information
Next comes the personal information section.
Don't be fooled. The personal information section does not mean that you should flood unnecessary & extremely personal details in your resume for computer science student fresher.
The goal of this section is to help a recruiter get in touch with you. As such, you should include only contact-specific details such as:
- Updated mobile number
- Professional email ID
- Current Location
Hiration Pro Tip: In addition to basic contact details, you can also attach an URL to your online portfolio if you have one. Doing this will give a better sense of your expertise to a recruiter.
Read our Blog on perfecting the resume contact information to master the ins and outs of this section.
Here's a computer science student resume example showcasing a well-written personal information section.
Use our computer science student resume template to make an impeccable resume with perfectly optimized sections.
Computer Science Student Resume: Profile Title
A profile title is important in more ways than one. For example, it communicates the following details about you:
- Job designations held
- Place of work
- Duration of your work
Since you are writing a resume for a computer science student, you are likely to have no work experience. In this situation, your profile title can be written in the following manner:
- Computer Science Graduate (if you have graduated)
- Computer Science Student (if you are still pursuing the course)
- Former Programming Intern & Computer Science Graduate (if you have graduated + done and internship)
If you fall into the third category, don't write 'Programmer' just to appear more experienced or authentic!
Hiration PRO TIP: Incorrectly presenting your job title can lead to loss of credibility. Recruiters are bound to catch your bluff sooner or later, so make sure you accurately present this data.
Here's a resume example showing a correctly written profile title for a CS Graduate who has internship experience:
In the meanwhile, get your existing resume for computer science student fresher reviewed by our Resume Experts at Hiration.
With an overall experience of giving valuable resume review to 3,000+ clients globally, our service is designed to give you the resume help you need.
Present your Internship Details effectively
As a CS Graduate or Student, you probably don't have the actual professional experience to boast about in your computer science resume.
This leaves you with your internship.
If you do'thave an internship experience, get one.
If you have done an internship in the past, talk about it effectively in your resume for computer science student fresher jobs.
Perfecting this section can dramatically elevate your shortlist chances. Meaning: you need to perfect it at all costs.
Here are three ways to do it:
- Frame points
- Use the STAR format
- Use Bucketing & Bolding
If you have not heard this before, here's a valuable resume tip for composing the details of your internship experience:
Use one-line points. Not paragraphs.
They make your resume more reader-friendly and comprehensive.
Don't believe us?
Here are two computer science student resume examples to prove this argument.
We want you to observe them closely.
Computer Science Student Resume Example 1
Computer Science Student Resume Example 2
Framing Points: Analysis
You can make the following observations from the two computer science student resume examples we have outlined above:
- Example 1 uses one long bulky paragraph to communicate the roles & responsibilities of the computer science intern.
- Given its bulky nature, the content in example 1 is difficult to read.
- Bad readability makes it difficult to read the content in its entirety.
- On the contrary, example 2 uses crisp one-line points to communicate the same information as example 1.
- It is easy on the eyes and reader-friendly.
- You probably read example 2 all the way through. So did 9/10 people who evaluated both computer science student resume examples.
- Your job here is to improve the readability of your computer science resume. Using points helps you achieve this goal.
- TO conclude, use one-line points. It makes your resume reader-friendly and thus, encourages a recruiter to evaluate it.
Making reader-friendly content will go to waste if you don't back up with text worth reading. In other words, you need to optimize each one-liner points.
You can achieve this by implementing the STAR format at each point;
- situation: The situation/backdrop/context of your contributions
- task: The actual task that was assigned to you
- action: The strategy you used to execute the assigned task
- result: The result/outcome of your action in the form of an achievement figure
Instead of saying something as basic as this:
- Wrote codes as part of my internship
Using the STAR format helps you make the same statement more impactful:
- Wrote codes for ~3 computer programs with 100% accuracy
Do you see what we did there?
Adding numbers and expanding the details helped us add more legitimacy to the work done. It also helped us communicate the depth of the Intern's programming responsibility.
Bucketing & Bolding
Now that you know how to make reader-friendly content that is worth the read, it is time to ensure that no recruiter ignores it.
Bucketing & bolding helps you achieve this.
Here are two computer science student resume examples to demonstrate this point.
Computer Science Student Resume Example 1
Computer Science Student Resume Example 2
Bucketing & Bolding : Analysis
We can draw the following conclusions from the computer science student resume examples we have discussed above:
- Example 1 simply uses one-liner points. While they're reader-friendly, clubbing multiple points together makes it look cramped & ineffective.
- It fails to produce the desired result: effectiveness.
- Example 2 helps you achieve this by grouping similar points under a unique title (bucketing) & highlight relevant words and phrases (bolding).
- You can quickly identify the Intern's main expertise area by reading the bucket headers. You can also identify the key highlight of each point by reading the text that is marked in bold.
- Bucketing & bolding together helps you improve the overall effectiveness of your content. It also helps you strategically divert the recruiter's attention to key highlights or achievements at each point.
- To conclude, use bucketing & bolding.
Computer Science Student Resume Sample for Internships
Read our Blog on perfecting the work experience section to learn intricate secrets for composing the professional experience & internship sections.
Here's a computer science student resume sample illustrating the perfect internship section for your resume for computer science student fresher jobs:
Moving on, get an expert opinion on your sample resume for computer science student jobs.
Provide your Academic Details in the Education Section
The education section of your resume is an important section.
This is where you should put important academic details such as:
- Name of the school/university you have attended.
- Name of the courses you have pursued.
- The location of your school/university.
- Enrolment and graduation dates in month & year format.
Refer to Hiration's Guide on how to list education on your resume to read an exhaustive guide on how to correctly curate the education section.
Here's a resume sample showcasing the ideal education section for your resume.
Outline your CS Skills under a distinct Key Skills Section
For those of you who are writing a resume for a computer science student, it is crucial to give a glorious presentation of your CS skills.
You need to make your skills extremely visible in your computer science resume.
Recruiters should be able to identify in one go.
Using a distinct 'key skills' section with a 'technical skills' subsection is a great way to achieve this. Doing this helps you show the tools you are adept at and the work you can do - all in one glance.
Hiration PRO TIP: The key skills section of your computer science resume should be crisp and to the point. Do not use phrases like 'experienced in' or 'expertise in' to endorse your CS skills.
Read our Resume Skills Guide to learn how to use this section to your advantage.
Here's a computer science student resume example to visually demonstrate how to correctly put together this section:
Curate an Effective Summary for your Computer Science Student Resume
What should your computer science student resume summary look like?
What points should emphasize in it?
How long should your computer science student resume summary be?
If you are plagued with these questions, read on to read our tries & tested resume summary tips:
- Your resume summary should be crisp and to the point. to do this, trim down the length of your computer science student resume summary to 3-5 lines.
- It should actively advocate your achievements in your functional niche/industry.
- It should be constructed with the end goal of convincing a recruiter that 'you're the ideal fit' for the given job.
- To write an effective computer science student resume summary, draft it at the end after concluding the rest of your resume.
- Doing this will eliminate the need to repeatedly go back and redrafting your resume. You will also be able to write a comprehensive summary of your core achievements in one go.
- After you have prepared a draft of your computer science student resume summary, all you have to do is fine-tune it. To do this, retain that information which will help deliver maximum impact. Example: your career highlights & achievements within your current niche/industry, key skills, no of work ex, and your current job title.
Here's perfectly-composed resume summary for computer science student resume:
Your resume summary should replicate the tone of this summary example.
In the meanwhile, make use of the best of our AI-powered Resume Building Tool to make an impeccable computer science student resume.
Get intuitive section-wise suggestions on your resume to learn what you can do to enhance each section of your resume - including the summary.
Resume Review Service
You don't have to be an expert resume writer to write an impeccable computer science student resume. Let us do the heavy lifting for you.
Our Resume Review Service is a premium service that gives you the resume help you need & more. We provide section-wise resume tips and offer valuable feedback based on the following parameters:
- ATS Compliance
- Global Compatibility
- Content Relevance
- Recruiter Friendliness
- Design Compatibility
- Conversion Scope
- Performance Assessment
- Resume Formatting (font, margins, the order of sections, etc.)
- Compliance with industry norms
Online Resume Builder
Hiration's Online Resume Builder is a bundle of joy and a stepping stone for shortlist success.
Our resume building tool is backed by the power of AI. It is designed to transform your computer science student resume into a shortlist magnet.
How do we achieve this?
Here is a list of the features that come with our resume building tool:
- Auto bold feature
- 25+ resume designs
- LIVE resume score
- JD-resume matcher
- Option to save unlimited resumes
- Intuitive next text suggestion
- Full rich-text editor
- 1-click design change
- A sharable link
- LIVE resume editor
- Unlimited PDF downloads
- 100+ pre-filled resume templates
Here are the key takeaways of our Computer Science Student Resume 2020 Blog:
- Use the reverse chronological resume format.
- Organize information using relevant sections in your computer science resume.
- Write your real full name in the largest font size at the extreme top part of your resume for a computer science student. Doing this will give your resume a unique identity of its own.
- Include your contact details in the personal information section. Additionally, include a link to your online work portfolio if you have one.
- Write your profile title as 'Computer Science Graduate'. If you are currently doing an internship, write your profile title in this manner: 'Computer Science Graduate & Programming Intern'.
- Use a distinct section to endorse your CS skills - both technical & non-technical.
- Keep your resume summary for computer science students both crisp & effective. Stick to a 5 lines paragraph and highlight profile-specific career achievements.
- To get shortlisted, perfect the internship section at all costs.
- To improve the readability, use one-liner points. To draw attention to your key highlights in each point, mark them in bold.
- Present your education details. Write your GPA score if you have performed outstandingly well. If you were not a top performer, leave out your GPA scores.
- Write a list of your certifications if you have done any. Leave out those certifications that are not relevant to your target profile.
Now that we have reached the end of this blog, make use of all the computer engineering resume examples and computer engineering resume samples that we have provided in this blog as it can help you in writing a great resume.
You can also write to us at email@example.com to resolve any queries or questions.