What do employers look for in a computer science student resume?
A computer science student resume is generally written by CS Graduates and CS Students who are still pursuing the course.
As such, employers are inclined to look for your academic details, relevant projects, and internship experience in a computer science student resume.
But most importantly, employers look for signs of exceptionalism in your computer science skills (such as coding and website designing) and your technical skills.
For which you should present a list of the programming languages you know, databases you are familiar with, and software you can work with.
We will help you learn how to put this information effectively in your computer science resume.
But before we begin, here's a summary of our Computer Science Student Resume Blog:
- Write achievement-based internship sections and mention relevant certifications.
- Add the details of the project that you have been a part of or led successfully.
- Use one-liner points to communicate the details of your professional experience and past internships.
- Provide URL links to your personal websites or profiles like Kaggle, GitHub, etc.
- Write an impeccable computer science student resume objective for computer science student jobs & internships.
- Organize your resume using the right resume format for computer science students.
. . . all so you can get the entry-level CS job or internship of your dreams!
Now that you have a rough idea of what to put in your computer science student resume, let's discuss what you can do to perfect it:
- How to create an ATS-compliant resume?
- What format to use for framing your computer science student resume?
- How do I write a resume for computer science student?
- How to list education details in a resume?
- What skills should I put on my resume computer science?
- What is a good objective for a computer science resume?
We have also provided relevant computer science student resume examples for each section. This is aimed at helping you understand what each section of your computer science resume should look like when perfected.
That said, feel free to use our Online Resume Builder to revolutionize your resume. It has an in-built computer science student resume example template that is pre-filled & optimized.
What is an ATS-Compliant Computer Science Student Resume?
The Application Tracking System is the first hurdle on your way to landing your dream job.
It helps the recruiters in selecting only those resumes wherein the required skills and experience are easily identified by the ATS.
To ensure that your resume gets past the ATS you need to curate a resume that has the right content reflecting all those requirements that have been mentioned in the job description given out by employers.
- Compare your resume of computer science student with the provided job description.
- Include the skills that you possess and have been mentioned in the JD as requirements.
- Use words and phrases that relate your suitability to the targeted job profile.
To write an impeccable computer science student resume, go through the resume tips we have compiled for you.
Choose the Right Format for Your Computer Science Student Resume
Choosing the right resume format for computer science students should be the top priority. Why?
Because resume formats are important. They help you effectively shape the best resume for computer science student. As such, you need to choose the ideal computer science student resume format for you.
We advise you to use the reverse chronological resume format to structure your resume.
Here's why it is the best resume format for computer science student:
- It helps you present information in reverse order. This means that your most recent work or internship experience is displayed first, following by your education details and so on.
- This format helps you showcase your most relevant information first. As such, it helps you make a relevant resume for computer science student fresher.
- Secondly, this resume format is the preferred format for recruiters. It is also the most commonly used resume format, making it reader-friendly.
- This means that if you choose this computer science student resume format, you will be able to write a recruiter's preferred resume type.
You can also read about the other two resume formats to get an in-depth understanding of the importance of picking the right resume format:
Enhance Your Computer Science Student Resume Presentation Using Relevant Sections
Writing a resume for a computer science student is not as difficult as it might seem. All you have to do is present information using the following resume sections:
- Personal Information
- Profile Title
- Key Skills
- Project(s) (if any)
- Certifications (if any)
Make sure you use the above-mentioned order to organize your sections.
Doing this will help you write a presentable resume for a computer science student.
It might not seem this way, but presentation matters.
Without resume sections, your resume will be a poorly composed document with randomly arranged data. This badly presented information will hamper the readability of your computer science resume.
Without a good presentation, you can't make a reader-friendly resume. And without a reader-friendly resume, your resume would be less likely to get read & evaluated in totality. Meaning: you won't get shortlisted for the job.
Additionally, feel free to use our Online Resume Builder. It is designed to ace the resume perfection test and help you write an optimized computer science resume.
Perfect the Header Sections of Your Computer Science Student Resume
The header sections of a resume comprise of three things:
- Resume Header
- Personal Information
- Profile Title
Your job here is to perfect them all.
Computer Science Student Resume: Header
Here are some resume tips for the resume header of your computer science student resume:
- Don't label your resume with a generic 'CV' or 'Resume'.
- Instead, write your real full name at the topmost part of your computer science resume in a 16-20 font size.
- The idea is to use a relatively larger font size for your resume header so that a recruiter can instantly identify that the resume belongs to you.
- If you have a middle name, write your first name, followed by the first initial of your middle name in capital letters, followed by your last name. Example "Lana M. Davis"
Here's a computer science student resume example illustrating the ideal resume header:
This is a snapshot of a computer science student resume template that we have made using our Online Resume Builder.
For more computer science student resume examples like this, read on.
Computer Science Student Resume: Personal Information
Next comes the personal information section.
Don't be fooled. The personal information section does not mean that you should flood unnecessary & extremely personal details in your resume for computer science student fresher.
The goal of this section is to help a recruiter get in touch with you. As such, you should include only contact-specific details such as:
- Updated mobile number
- Professional email ID
- Current Location
Hiration Pro Tip: In addition to basic contact details, you can also attach an URL to your online portfolio if you have one. (Kaggle, GitHub, LinkedIn, etc.)
Read our Blog on perfecting the resume contact information to master the ins and outs of this section.
Here's a computer science student resume example showcasing a well-written personal information section.
Use our computer science student resume template to make an impeccable resume with perfectly optimized sections.
Computer Science Student Resume: Profile Title
A profile title is important in more ways than one. For example, it communicates the following details about you:
- Job designations held
- Place of work
- Duration of your work
Since you are writing a resume for a computer science student, you are likely to have no work experience. In this situation, your profile title can be written in the following manner:
- Computer Science Graduate (if you have graduated)
- Computer Science Student (if you are still pursuing the course)
- Former Programming Intern & Computer Science Graduate (if you have graduated + done an internship)
If you fall into the third category, don't write 'Programmer' just to appear more experienced or authentic!
Hiration PRO TIP: Incorrectly presenting your job title can lead to a loss of credibility. Recruiters are bound to catch your bluff sooner or later, so make sure you accurately present this data.
Here's a resume example showing a correctly written profile title for a CS Graduate who has internship experience:
In the meanwhile, get your existing resume for computer science student fresher reviewed by our Resume Experts at Hiration.
With an overall experience of giving valuable resume reviews to 3,000+ clients globally, our service is designed to give you the resume help you need.
Present your Computer Science Internship Details effectively
As a CS Graduate or Student, you probably don't have the actual professional experience to boast about in your computer science resume.
This leaves you with your internship.
If you don't have internship experience, get one.
If you have done an internship in the past, talk about it effectively in your resume for computer science student fresher jobs.
Perfecting this section can dramatically elevate your shortlist chances. Meaning: you need to perfect it at all costs.
Here are three ways to do it:
- Frame one-liner points
- Use the STAR format
- Practice Grouping & Highlighting
Use one-line points. Not paragraphs.
They make your resume of computer science student more reader-friendly and comprehensive.
Don't believe us?
Here are two computer science student resume examples to prove this argument.
We want you to observe them closely.
Computer Science Student Resume Example 1
Computer Science Student Resume Example 2
Framing One-Liner Points: Analysis
You can make the following observations from the two computer science student resume examples we have outlined above:
|Is difficult to read and grasp the main points
|Easy to read and understand
|Contains unnecessary words and phrases
|Contains only important points
Conclusion: As compared to a lengthy paragraph, the one-liner point makes more sense and the recruiters will easily understand your roles and responsibilities right away.
Making reader-friendly content will go to waste if you don't back up with text worth reading. In other words, you need to optimize each one-liner point.
You can achieve this by implementing the STAR format at each point;
- situation: The situation/backdrop/context of your contributions
- task: The actual task that was assigned to you
- action: The strategy you used to execute the assigned task
- result: The result/outcome of your action in the form of an achievement figure
Instead of saying something as basic as this:
- Wrote codes as part of my internship
Using the STAR format helps you make the same statement more impactful:
- Wrote codes for ~3 computer programs with 100% accuracy
Do you see what we did there?
Adding numbers and expanding the details helped us add more legitimacy to the work done. It also helped us communicate the depth of the Intern's programming responsibility.
GROUPING & HIGHLIGHTING
Now that you know how to make reader-friendly content that is worth the read, it is time to ensure that no recruiter ignores it.
Grouping & highlighting helps you achieve this.
Here are two computer science student resume examples to demonstrate this point.
Computer Science Student Resume Example 1
Computer Science Student Resume Example 2
Grouping & Highlighting: Analysis
We can draw the following conclusions from the computer science student resume examples we have discussed above:
|GROUPING & HIGHLIGHTING
|The points are not organized
|Every point is under relevant headings
|Key points do not stand out
|Key achievements and contributions are highlighted
Conclusion: By listing all the similar points under relevant groups you can easily organize your one-liners. The bold words and phrases make it easier for recruiters to identify your potential right away.
Make sure to start every point using a power verb to enhance the effectiveness of your sentences.
Computer Science Student Resume Sample for Internships
Read our Blog on perfecting the work experience section to learn intricate secrets for composing the professional experience & internship sections.
Here's a computer science student resume sample illustrating the perfect internship section for your resume for computer science student fresher jobs:
Moving on, get an expert opinion on your sample resume for computer science student jobs.
Provide Your Academic Details in the Education Section
The education section of your resume is an important section.
This is where you should put important academic details such as:
- Name of the school/university you have attended.
- Name of the courses you have pursued.
- The location of your school/university.
- Enrolment and graduation dates in month & year format.
Refer to Hiration's Guide on how to list education on your resume to read an exhaustive guide on how to correctly curate the education section.
Here's a resume sample showcasing the ideal education section for your resume.
Outline Your CS Skills Under a Distinct Key Skills Section
For those of you who are writing a resume for a computer science student, it is crucial to give a glorious presentation of your CS skills.
You need to make your skills highly visible in your computer science resume.
Recruiters should be able to identify your skills in one go.
Using a distinct 'key skills' section with a 'technical skills' subsection is a great way to achieve this.
Doing this helps you show the tools you are adept at and the work you can do - all in one glance.
Hiration PRO TIP: The key skills section of your computer science resume should be crisp and to the point. Do not use phrases like 'experienced in' or 'expertise in' to endorse your CS skills.
Read our Resume Skills Guide to learn how to use this section to your advantage.
Here's a computer science student resume example to visually demonstrate how to correctly put together this section:
Curate an Effective Objective for Your Computer Science Student Resume
What is a good objective for a computer science resume?
What should your computer science student resume objective look like?
How long should your computer science student resume objective be?
And most importantly when should you include a resume objective?
- Your resume objective should be crisp and written in 3-4 lines.
- It should actively advocate your skills in your functional niche/industry.
- It should be constructed with the end goal of convincing a recruiter that you are the ideal fit for the given job.
- To write an effective computer science student resume objective, draft it at the end after concluding the rest of your resume.
Write a computer science student resume objective to communicate your willingness to contribute towards organizational growth rather than highlighting your achievements and demands.
Here's a perfectly composed resume objective for computer science student resume:
You can also go through our guide on resume summary.
Resume Review Service
You don't have to be an expert resume writer to write an impeccable computer science student resume. Let us do the heavy lifting for you.
Our Resume Review Service is a premium service that gives you the resume help you need & more. We provide section-wise resume tips and offer valuable feedback based on the following parameters:
- ATS Compliance
- Global Compatibility
- Content Relevance
- Recruiter Friendliness
- Design Compatibility
- Conversion Scope
- Performance Assessment
- Resume Formatting (font, margins, the order of sections, etc.)
- Compliance with industry norms
Online Resume Builder
Hiration's Online Resume Builder is a bundle of joy and a stepping stone for shortlisting success.
The power of AI backs our resume-building tool. We designed it to transform your computer science student resume into a shortlist magnet.
How do we achieve this?
Here is a list of the features that come with our resume building tool:
- Auto bold feature
- 25+ resume designs
- LIVE resume score
- JD-resume matcher
- Option to save unlimited resumes
- Intuitive next text suggestion
- Full rich-text editor
- 1-click design change
- A sharable link
- LIVE resume editor
- Unlimited PDF downloads
- 100+ pre-filled resume templates
Hiration Cover Letters & Other Services
Hiration's Cover Letter Builder provides:
- 10+ ready to use templates
- 15+ designs
- Freedom to customize templates
- Create multiple cover letters
- Easy downloading
Make sure to check out the following services provide by Hiration:
Computer Science Student Resume Sample
Here's a perfect sample resume for computer science student jobs:
The provided resume template for computer science student is from our Online resume Builder and is the best resume for computer science student with a higher chance of getting shortlisted by recruiters.
Here are the key takeaways of our Computer Science Student Resume 2023 Blog:
- Use the reverse chronological resume format.
- Organize information using relevant sections in your computer science resume.
- Write your real full name in the largest font size at the extreme top part of your resume for a computer science student. Doing this will give your resume a unique identity of its own.
- Include your contact details in the personal information section. Additionally, include a link to your online work portfolio if you have one.
- Write your profile title as 'Computer Science Graduate'. If you are currently doing an internship, write your profile title in this manner: 'Computer Science Graduate & Programming Intern'.
- Use a distinct section to endorse your CS skills - both technical & non-technical.
- Keep your computer science student resume objective both crisp & effective. Stick to a 3-4 lines paragraph and highlight profile-specific career achievements.
- To get shortlisted, perfect the internship section at all costs.
- To improve the readability, use one-liner points. To draw attention to your key highlights in each point, mark them in bold.
- Present your education details. Write your GPA score if you have performed outstandingly well. If you were not a top performer, leave out your GPA scores.
- Write a list of your certifications if you have done any. Leave out those certifications that are not relevant to your target profile.
Now that we have reached the end of this blog, make use of all the computer engineering resume examples and computer engineering resume samples that we have provided in this blog as it can help you in writing a great resume.
Go to Hiration resume builder and create a professional resume for yourself. Additionally, reach out to us at email@example.com and you can get 24/7 professional assistance with all your job & career-related queries.