Click here to directly go to the complete scholarship resume sample.
How to write a scholarship resume?
Are you getting frustrated to write a perfect resume for a scholarship application?
We don’t recommend that making the best resume is the only way to bag the best scholarships.
Well, you could write a book, build a company, win a prize. But, writing a winning resume for scholarships is undoubtedly the easiest way to describe why you are a good candidate for a scholarship.
And your recruiters only want to know whether you are as skilled and whether you know it.
In this blog, we will walk you through:
- Why do you need a scholarship resume?
- How to write a scholarship resume?
- How to write the education section of a student resume for scholarships?
- How to write the work experience in aresume for scholarships?
- Additional tips for scholarship resume 2023?
Why Do You Need a Scholarship Resume?
A resume for scholarships is very different from what we often consider it to be. A student resume for scholarships is not the same resume that you use for a corporate job.
Not only should it be relevant and elaborate, but it also must be tailored according to the scholarship description.
Your scholarship resume plays the first role in getting the targeted scholarship.
Your scholarship resume can serve as a reference for you to fill out your college applications and your scholarship entrance forms.
With your scholarship resume in hand, you can be assured that you will not leave out any vital information that could help you get your target scholarship or gain admittance to the college of your choice.
How to Write a Scholarship Resume?
Let's look at the following college scholarship resume examples as we guide you through writing the most important sections that are relevant to the scholarship you are targeting.
Before writing the perfect scholarship resume template, the first important step is research.
The send step is listing all your academic achievements and other notable information in a Master Resume.
Your master resume could comprise of information ranging from the assignment you nailed, to the volleyball match you championed.
Once you have your Master Resume, start filtering out the irrelevant information. The actual relevance can be assessed from the targeted scholarship.
Not all of your previous accomplishments will have a bearing on your educational future. Consider contests won, higher grades achieved, jobs held, and community activities participated in.
Concentrate on those accomplishments that demonstrate your potential as a student and showcase your characteristic strengths.
After you have sifted through your past and found the achievements best representing you, it is time to make your final scholarship resume.
Also read: How to write a resume with no experience?
Starting a Scholarship Resume
From the given scholarship resume template, you can start your resume by dividing it into 4 sections with the following main headings:
- Academic Experience
- Extracurricular Activities
- Work Experience
- Awards and Honors
Almost all the necessary information to put on a scholarship resume falls into these four categories.
To fit your scholarship resume best, you may rephrase the headings according to the experiences they highlight. Also, leave enough spaces between sections to maintain a visually pleasing resume.
Scholarship Resume Contact Details
The name and contact should be the first thing a recruiter sees.
For the same reason, this must be on top of the resume. This is called the header section. This includes:
|Phone Number:||+1 234 512 1134|
To add a professional touch to your scholarship resume, make sure:
- The Nname is the largest text (>16 points)
- Phone number is reachable at all times
- Email address has your name in it and is professional (no email@example.com please)
- Location includes the city, state & country as required (skip your street address)
Scholarship Resume Title
The scholarship resume title must include the target domain and your current professional expertise.
The title is the next targeted step on your resume header. It demonstrates the level of your expertise.
It could be anything from an "Economics Scholar" to a "Financial Analyst" or a "Software Developer" to a "Finance Graduate.”
You may also include your licenses or certifications on the student resume for the scholarships, such as "FAA Licensed Commercial Pilot.”
Make sure that it is the first thing right after your name.
Scholarship Resume Objective & Skills
The scholarship resume objective should showcase how you exemplify the values underlining the scholarship and how your accomplishments are along the lines of previous scholars.
The objective is a short summary of your skills and expertise to rationalize your claim for getting that scholarship.
Your scholarship resume objective could be a tad bigger than a normal job resume. This is because the objective also acts as a snapshot of your statement of purpose.
It's okay if your purpose cannot be limited to just 2 - 3 lines. However, do not take the liberty to keep writing your scholarship resume objective till one or two pages.
It should still be short, relevant, and convincing.
We have exemplified a few scholarships resume objectives and corresponding skills to put on a scholarship resume.
Skills for Scholarship Resume
Your scholarship resume objective is commonly followed by the skills for scholarship resume section to add a professional touch.
Every academic institution is eager to accept candidates who, apart from having flawless grades, display qualities like Curiosity, Self-motivation, Leadership & Enthusiasm.
These are a few solid skills to put on a scholarship resume. However, instead of merely mentioning that you possess these skills, showcase just how exactly you personify these skills. Mention where all you demonstrated your leadership and community-centric approach.
Let's look at one of the scholarship resume objectives from one of the college scholarship resume examples:
Development Research Analyst & Consultant
Meticulous & detail-oriented Development Research Analyst armed with an extraordinary acumen for research encompassing both primary and secondary methodologies. Possesses a track record of consistently securing a top rank throughout the academic career. Adept at leading teams and coordinating with relevant stakeholders to analyze key parameters for consolidating information into actionable reports and presentations. Proficient in investigating significant social issues with keen insight and a unique perspective, and conducting socio-economic impact assessment (SIA) for development and research projects.
|Team Leadership||Reporting & Documentation||Impact Assessment|
|Research & Analysis||Communication||System Modelling|
|Behavioural Analysis||CBA Analysis||Primary/Secondary Research|
|Microsoft Office Suite||SPSS|
Also read: How to write a compelling analyst resume in 2023?
Result-oriented Mechatronics Engineer highly skilled in conducting research development predominantly in the Automotive Research domain. Possesses a rich experience of ~3 years in chassis & vehicle integration, research fund management & cost & business reporting. Additionally, I have undertaken a wide variety of technical projects in other domains to hone my research ability further and demonstrated the ability to lead a technical team effectively by providing direction, leadership, and motivation and hence ensuring that the team members perform to the best of their skills and deliver consistently.
|Chassis & Vehicle Integration||Technical Team Leadership|
|Partnerships||Research Fund Management|
|FEA Analysis||Research Fund Raising|
|Cost & Business Reporting||Automotive Research & Development|
|CAD Modelling – Solidworks, Siemens Uni-graphics, Creo Pro-E|
|Altair Hyper mesh (Finite Element Analysis)|
|Microsoft Office tools|
Also read: What are the guidelines you must follow to draft a great engineering resume?
Proactive Law Graduate with a strong work ethic and experience in handling major internship projects for a wide variety of client organizations. Offers strong communication, leadership, and organizational skills and an ability to work effectively with internal and external multidisciplinary teams. Highly skilled at interacting with clients and identifying their needs to create strategies that help them achieve their goals effectively. Adept in conducting legal research, drafting & vetting legal documents & meeting time-sensitive case objectives. Possesses hands-on experience of working on a wide variety of projects ranging from legal research, review & analysis to Due Diligence covering multiple domains such as finance, fair agreement terms, etc. Keen to apply the acquired gamut of skills to a challenging role in the management consulting domain
AREAS OF EXPERTISE:
|Due Diligence||Coordination & Liaison||Drafting|
|Legal Research||Vetting Documents||Document Review|
|Contracts||Agreements & Compliance||Legal Documentation|
Clinical Psychology Professional
Result-oriented Clinical Psychology graduate skilled at Patient Observation, Case History Examination, Patient Counseling, taking notes, etc. Have successfully pursued B.A. (Hons.) in Psychology from the University of New York & currently pursuing M.A. in Clinical Psychology. Have amassed vast experience in the domain of Clinical Psychology by working & interning in multiple organizations & assisting experienced Clinical Psychologists in OPD as well as IPD cases. Gained hands-on experience of examining detailed case histories of patients (including children) suffering from various conditions, including alcohol abuse, bipolar affective disorder, depression, anxiety, ADHD, etc. Proven leader who has demonstrated excellence in all domains, including professional engagements, academics, leadership roles, and extra-curricular activities. Deeply interested in the field of Clinical Psychology looking for challenging opportunities in this space.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE:
|Clinical Psychology||Patient Observation||Case Examination|
|Psycho Oncology||OPD & IPD||Patient Counseling|
|Art Therapy||Psychological Screening||Mental Health|
The scholarship resume objective is followed by:
Scholarship Resume: Education Section
List your Educational Qualification at the top of your scholarship resume.
Most scholarships ask for a certain GPA. For the same, you may include your weighted or unweighted GPA.
Add your advanced placement or honors classes along with any majors or minors. Include your expected date of degree completion.
Use action words to convey your qualifications and experience.
- Your major
- Your minors
- Graduation date
- Name of institution
The information mentioned above is a must-have for a scholarship resume. But to make your resume stand out from other resumes, write the following information.
- Extracurricular activities
- Favorite field of study
- Key academic achievements
Include only your high school educational information when applying for an undergraduate scholarship.
When applying for a graduate scholarship, you can skip writing about your high school unless you've got some outstanding accomplishments or it is a very prestigious school.
When applying for a postgraduate or a Ph.D. scholarship, mention both your bachelor’s and master’s degrees in your scholarship resumes.
Academic & Extracurricular Achievements
Follow your academic experience with academic or extracurricular activities
This section should also be targeted, and the activities should specifically be for the domain you are targeting.
For example, if the scholarship emphasizes computer programming, do not list your volunteer hours for community service. Instead, fill it up with a dated list of all the programming competitions you have won and your created applications.
The following template from a resume for scholarship sample should help you write the main pointers under the Achievements section.
- Award/Recognition | Institutional Affiliation | Location | Dates
The following snippet from a resume for scholarship application sample should help you understand how to write your academic and non-academic awards.
In the above example, we've highlighted a few places in yellow where there's scope to add performance figures. Follow a similar approach to identify more such places in your scholarship resume for high school students where you can include numbers.
Maintain the following thumb rules while writing your awards on your scholarship resume:
- Each activity begins on a new line with a bullet
- Highlight with bold your responsibilities and achievements
- Focus on duties related to the scholarship requirements
- Try to provide figures wherever you can
Within this section, you should include other scholarships that you have already won. But how to list scholarships on your resume?
Including a previous scholarship is easy within the "Academic & Co-curricular Achievements" section. Let's look at the following example.
Also read: How to make the most of your education on resume?
Work Experience & Internships
Your work experience is included in the third section. Even if you just had a summer job at the local supermarket, you should mention it.
Scholarship directors do not expect every applicant to do amazing internships abroad, but they do expect you to have spent your time doing something productive.
Work experience shows how you managed both your studies and your job.
If your work experience is directly relevant to the scholarship you are pursuing, you may reorder your sections too to showcase your expertise in the domain. Let's consider the following snippet from a scholarship resume template.
The technical expertise section is significant for the resume of a Mechatronics Engineer as it showcases that in addition to only educational qualification, the candidate has the right experience in the domain.
This increases your chances for a scholarship.
For a scholarship resume for high school students, the work experiences section or the internship section should ideally be placed below the "Educational Qualification" or "Academic Achievements" section.
However, here a few exceptions:
For the scholarship resumes of a "Law Graduate,” it is essential for the candidate to represent his or her practical expertise in the field rather than theoretical knowledge.
Prioritizing the "Internships" section over the work experiences section does the same.
The same priority is maintained if you are writing a resume for scholarship application for a medical school.
Let's look at the following high school scholarship resume template in the medical domain.
Also read: How to list your internship experiences and highlight your contributions?
Awards and Honors
List your awards and honors in the last section.
Include academic honors or honorary memberships.
To list your awards and honors on your scholarship resume, you may use the following academic award template:
- Award/Recognition | Institutional Affiliation | Location | Dates
Let us follow with a few examples:
- 1st prize | Inter-house economics quiz competition, LSDD | California, US | Jan '14
- 2nd position | Laissez Faire: "Psyconomic" analysis | California, US | Sep '11
Also read: How to write a resume for computer science students?
Finalizing Your Scholarship Resume
Once you have included all the necessary skills and relevant details, your scholarship resume should be passed through a final step of quality check.
Format Your Resume
Once you have created a general list of your personal and academic accomplishments, it is time to get them organized.
First, list your achievements in descending order, from current to earliest.
Always begin your scholarship resume with your most current accomplishments as they are typically the most relevant to your college applications and scholarship entrance forms.
Organize Your Resume
You may organize your resume in different ways. But once you've chosen the reverse chronological order, you must format it in the following way:
- Resume header - Name, address, phone number, and email address
- Scholarship Resume Objective: 2 - 3 to summarize your achievements and skills
- Education - List your high school and college courses along with GPA >3.0
- Work Experience/Internships - List jobs in a reverse chronological format including part-time & full-time employment
- Honors and Awards - List all honors, awards, and accolades you have received
- Courses Attended - Record seminars, conferences, or training courses attended (e.g., Red Cross Training)
- Training & Certifications
- Memberships: List your affiliations, memberships, and associations you belong to including leadership roles pursued in the same. Include school-sponsored clubs and/or honor societies.
- Community Involvement: List volunteer work or community activities
- Hobbies and Interests: List enrichment programs, travel programs, hobbies, and interests that compliment your educational qualification or target profile.
- Athletic Achievements & Performing Arts
- Languages: List your language skills along with the proficiency level of each.
An ideal resume contains distinct sections, so it is easier for you to highlight all the essential points.
Proofreading your scholarship resume
Write your scholarship resume. Let it sit for a day. Then proofread it.
Remove fluff and out-of-context points. Ensure that you follow the right guidelines before submitting your resume.
You should ask a domain-specific professional or career counselor to proofread your scholarship resume for typos or grammatical errors.
Write your resume using standard fonts like Calibri or Open Sans.
Using different fonts often makes your resume appear unprofessional, while many stylish fonts do not comply with all systems.
Ensure that all your accomplishments are true and avoid the temptation to exaggerate or make them up.
Limit your resume to 1 page unless suggested otherwise.
Scholarship Resume 2023 Tips
A neat and detail-oriented resume could increase your chances for a scholarship.
Scholarship resumes benefit most by outlining personal accomplishments. It is the most important document to refer to while completing the necessary forms or essays during the scholarship process.
The resume should first introduce you to a scholarship committee by highlighting your background relevant to the target job description.
The content of scholarship resumes should be specialized.
Considering that the readers in the committee want evidence for a high level of aptitude and performance, your resume should convince them that you are the most capable candidate.
So how does a scholarship resume offer the aura of expertise? Through details.
Your scholarship resume should be high detail-oriented by applying acronyms (and expanding them) used within the field like IPM, TRIP, ASTM, ARM, NCGE, etc., correctly writing the practical outcomes.
The use of active verbs within the scholarship resumes should be highly targeted. Use words or phrases like:
- Played a key role in
- Liaised with
These imply important roles involving authorship, collaboration, learning, leadership, and management.
The goal of the scholarship resume is to demonstrate advanced skills and a high level of achievement complemented by the most relevant evidence.
Your lack of experience should be covered in the scholarship resume using the following tips:
Highlight the most positive and relevant factors about you.
- Keep your scholarship resume relevant and targeted
- Limit your scholarship resume to 1 page
- Ensure readability by using a neat font
- Use a font size between 10 - 12 pts. for the body
- Keep your headings larger (14 - 16 pts.)
- Make your margins at least 1 inch
- Be specific and accurate without being too lengthy
- Always be truthful without exaggeration
- Your resume should be free of spelling or grammatical errors
- Avoid passive or weak phrases
- Begin sentences with action words
- Omit all personal pronouns like "I" and "we."
- Be consistent with tenses, dates, punctuation, and spacing
- Use bullets for your contribution and achievements points
- Remove irrelevant personal information like religious affiliation, sexual orientation, gender, marital status, and age
- Review and proofread your resume professionally
Resumes for college scholarships must include information around:
- Minors (if relevant)
- Graduation date
- Institution Name
Also read: What are the top 3 resume formats in 2023?
Resume Template for Scholarships
Check out the given example of resume for scholarships created using our Online Resume Builder:
- Rendered assistance in conducting multiple Emotional Quotient and Intelligence Quotient tests
- Counselled ~20 children under the tutelage of Dr. Izak
- Conceptualized and executed digital marketing initiatives under Ms. Beyonce Ronaldo
- Conducted SWOT analysis for multiple projects on public transport
- Tutoring ~40 students of 4th grade in maths to prepare them for final examinations
- Choreographed a dance sequence for their Annual Function
- Delivered menstrual awareness dialogues to ~500 women as part of spreading awareness while distributing clean and reusable sanitary napkins
- Organized the 'Showcase' event & managed the event by coordinating with multiple schools while delivering presentations in accordance with school policies
- Scholar Badge Holder | The National School | Jan '11 - Jan '18
- Qualified for Regional Round | International Financial Olympiad | Jun '17 - Jun '18
- State Rank 35 | International Olympiad of English Language | Jun '15 – Jun '16
- Scored 72/80 | International German Exam - Fit in Deutsch 2 | Jul '16
- Scored 55/60 | International German Exam | Fit in Deutsch 1 | Jan '14
- Advanced Math Applications | Kumon Mathematics Programme | Jun '15
Also read: What are the essential soft skills that you need to advance in your career?
Make it a habit to update your resume for scholarships.
Preparing your scholarship resume is as easy as making a list. It only requires a little time and self-examination to produce a scholarship resume by including your personal academic accomplishments.
Once you have finished compiling your master resume, remove all irrelevant information from it.
- Then include the most updated contact information.
- Write a targeted scholarship resume profile on the header.
- Include relevant section headers and prioritize the "Education" section.
- Prioritize Work Experiences/Internships in case your scholarship asks for it.
- "Academic Achievements" should be highlighted in your scholarship resume.
- Inspect scholarship resume samples to understand how to tailor your resume.
- Include more information around projects and extra-curricular.
Although your resume for scholarships should be ready to fit any scholarship or college admission applications, you must constantly tweak the necessary information to tailor it according to the description in the scholarship.
Go to Hiration career platform which has 24/7 chat support and get professional assistance with all your job & career-related queries. You can also write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.