What do shipping and receiving clerks put on a resume?
Since shipping and receiving clerks do not work directly with clients or handle finances, it can be tricky to gauge what goes in a resume and what does not.
The simple answer to this is - everything that you do.
Even though you may not have exact numbers to display on a resume with the extensive and important work that shipping clerks do, you have a comprehensive list of duties to add.
On top of that, a resume for shipping and receiving can be of varied nature, depending on the different jobs within that realm. Taking into consideration a shipping and receiving clerk and a warehouse associate, we find that while warehouse associates accept product deliveries and inspect them, receiving clerks organize reports and maintain the inventory.
Other than a warehouse associate, similar job profiles are shipping specialist, shipping and receiving attendant, warehouse clerk, inventory control specialist, logistics clerk, and inventory specialist.
Before preparing a resume for shipping and receiving clerk, here are a few questions that can help you:
- How do you describe shipping and receiving on a resume?
- What is the job description of shipping and receiving?
- How should I draft my professional experience section?
- How do I create a shipping and receiving resume summary?
- Should I list my educational details?
With our Online Resume Builder, you can choose from our repository of pre-made templates to create a perfect shipping and receiving resume!
Here are a few similar profiles that may be of interest to you:
Shipping and Receiving Clerk Job Description
Here is a sample job description from Indeed to showcase shipping and receiving responsibilities:
- Obtain and process product orders, including receiving deliveries, registering them, and distributing packages and letters within the company
- Maintain the company stockroom through organizing, cleaning, and cataloging items regularly
- Schedule large shipments and plan logistics to ensure that there is sufficient storage space for incoming items and staff on hand to manage the shipments
- Keep files of goods shipped and received by preparing regular shipping and receiving reports for managers
- Handle issues arising in shipping or inventory handling
- Ensure adherence to environmental management and systems
- Troubleshoots shipping issues and customer complaints that arise and work to solve them
- Place merchandise in a warehouse or storage facility by packaging, lifting items as necessary, operating forklifts and pallet jacks for large goods
When you receive a standard shipping and receiving job description like this, you must evaluate it to extract relevant keywords and integrate them in your resume for shipping and receiving clerk.
Skills to List in your Shipping and Receiving Clerk Resume
To frame this section effectively, you need to perform a thorough study of your competencies. Here are some of the skills you can add to your shipping and receiving clerk resume:
Shipping and receiving clerks usually process outgoing and inbound shipments as part of their job. They verify, weigh, and measure them by adhering to industry specifications.
Along with that, they process receipts and manage all documentation related to the process. Once the formalities are done, they contact the designated courier to pick up the shipment.
Managing the inventory is a major portion of a typical shipping and receiving clerk's work. They ensure that the materials in the inventory are available at all times for use and negotiate with vendors to constantly update them.
In addition to maintaining the inventory, shipping and receiving clerk also ensures proper documentation of inventory control activities.
As a warehouse worker, there are certain guidelines that you must follow to protect yourself from occupational hazards. These regulations are set in place to protect people, objects, and the environment.
A shipping and receiving clerk does not only secure their safety but of co-workers too, by informing them on safe practices and ensuring compliance with safety regulations.
Purchase orders are commercial documents that shipping and receiving clerks use to place orders to purchase materials in advance. Diligently preparing purchase orders is a revered skill as it helps to keep any warehouse afloat.
Such a skill also necessitates a degree of cross-functional coordination and communication to ensure maximum availability of materials across the warehouse. With a single skill, you are crossing out a few other demanded skills as well!
Shipping and receiving clerks are usually requested to maintain documents such as shipment invoices, purchase orders, and other necessary papers.
It is a crucial skill in a warehouse, and will impress the recruiters as it communicates your competence with them!
Here is a skills section of a resume for shipping and receiving clerk that covers all of these bases:
How to Highlight Professional Experience in your Shipping Receiving Resume
The current job environment necessitates resumes to be concise and readable. Here is how you can achieve that with your resume for shipping and receiving clerk:
- Draft one-liners and add them to a bulleted list to improve readability
- Organize your one-liners under relevant subheadings and highlight the important points
- Maintain a cause-effect relationship in sentences to give more context to your work functions
- Quantify relevant information and provide numbers to add credibility to your work
If it gets challenging, you can fall back to our Online Resume Builder and get valuable suggestions on how you can improve each factor of your work experience section!
Meanwhile, here is one of our shipping and receiving resume examples for a professional experience section:
Top Resume Summary Examples Related to Shipping and Receiving Resume
Another important section wherein you can demonstrate your work experience is the resume summary. By mentioning your best accomplishments in a curated paragraph, you can hook your recruiters to know more about you.
Here are a few samples for shipping and receiving resume summaries:
Diligent shipping and receiving clerk possessing skills in negotiating with vendors to secure profitable deals. Proficient in maintaining communication with clients while collecting feedback as part of improving operations. Highly skilled in managing shipment delivery to optimize delivery time and increase client satisfaction.
Seasoned shipping and receiving manager with 5+ years of experience in managing warehouse operations and processing inbound and outbound shipments with 100% accuracy. Proficient in conducting quality checks to ensure maximum efficiency in warehouse operations. Adept at troubleshooting shipping issues and handling client complaints to ensure maximum customer satisfaction.
3+ years experienced shipping and receiving professional possessing skills in processing orders and registering shipments by adhering to clients’ orders. Adept at maintaining inventory records and purchase orders for the stakeholders.Proficient in organizing company stockroom to ensure availability of materials at all times.
Does all of this seem too intimidating for you to achieve? You can go over to our Online Resume Builder to get similar recommendations!
The Do's & Don’ts for the Summary Section of Your Resume
Writing a perfect resume summary is crucial to ensuring that your resume is application-ready. There are certain methods that you can follow to elevate your content in a way that benefits you and the recruiter skimming through your shipping and receiving clerk resume.
Here are some of those methods:
- Start your sentences with power verbs instead or pronouns like I or We
- Maintain a cause-effect relationship to highlight your contributions
- Cover all the main accomplishments of your career
Right Approach:Diligent shipping and receiving clerk possessing skills in negotiating with vendors to secure profitable deals. Proficient in maintaining communication with clients while collecting feedback as part of improving operations. Highly skilled in managing shipment delivery to optimize delivery time and increase client satisfaction.
Wrong Approach:I am a diligent shipping and receiving clerk who possesses skills in negotiating with vendors. I am also proficient in maintaining communication with clients. Along with that, I am skilled in managing the delivery of shipments.
Confused? You can check our detailed blog on drafting a Resume Summary to make sure that you perfect yours!
Here is one of our shipping and receiving clerk resume examples for a summary:
What to Include In The Education Section of Your Shipping Resume
Most shipping and receiving job descriptions will enlist a requirement for a degree related to your profile. Even while writing your educational qualifications, there are certain tips you can adopt to enhance its appeal.
Here is what you can add to your warehouse shipping and receiving resume:
- Name of the degree
- Name of the university
Figuring out the spacing for each of these details can be confusing! With our Online Resume Builder, all you have to do is enter your details!
Here is an example for a shipping and receiving clerk resume education section:
Shipping and Receiving Resume SampleIf you follow our tips, your shipping and receiving clerk resume can look a lot like this:
Drafting a perfect shipping and receiving clerk resume can be challenging without the right resources. With our Online Resume Builder, you are assured to remain on the right track of creating a shortlist-worthy resume!
With a prolific list of work experience, you can keep progressing in your career if you have an updated shipping and receiving clerk resume!
Here is what you can take away from this blog:
- Add desirable skills like inventory control, shipment management, record maintenance, etc. to enhance your warehouse shipping and receiving resume
- Draft your professional experience by providing a bulleted list of one-liners and maintaining a cause-effect relationship in each of them
- Analyze all of your accomplishments to create a perfect resume summary that includes major feats in your career
- Include your academic details like your degree name, GPA, etc. to match the requirements of a company
For any queries, you can reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will get back to you asap!