Click here to directly go to the complete teacher with experience cover letter sample.
Are you aspiring to get a job as a teacher?
Then you must create an outstanding teaching cover letter along with a resume to put your best foot forward for a teaching job.
The teacher cover letter will help you highlight your relevant experience and achievements for the job and further help you connect your expertise with the job description.
Whether you are a fresh graduate or a seasoned professional, these cover letter examples for teachers guide will help you create a stellar teacher cover letter for yourself.
This teacher cover letter guide will help you understand:
- What is a teacher cover letter?
- Teacher cover letter sample.
- What should a cover letter for a teacher include?
- What is the correct format of a cover letter?
- How do you mention teaching experience in a cover letter?
- Teacher cover letter writing tips.
What Is a Teacher Cover Letter?
Teachers create the foundation of education for the students. A teacher’s responsibilities consist of:
- Lesson planning
- Learning about new teaching methods
- Teaching students
- Taking assessments of students
- Conducting tests
- Maintaining records
There are other responsibilities too that a teacher may have to undertake.
Writing a teacher cover letter allows the candidate to highlight relevant teaching and related skills to the hiring manager. Additionally, it conveys the candidate’s enthusiasm for the position.
Ideally, a teacher’s cover letter has five elementary sections:
- Main body
- Ending Salutation
Sample Teaching Cover Letter for New Teachers:
Cover Letters for Teachers Header:
A professional cover letter for teachers starts at the cover letter header section.
This section includes:
- Your name - as the cover letter title
- Personal contact number
- Professional email id
- Current designation or prospective job title
- Residential location
- LinkedIn profile link (optional)
The cover letter header design might change depending on the template you use.
Teacher Cover Letter: Date
At the beginning of the cover letter teacher, include the date of writing. As a cover letter for a teacher is a business letter, inserting a date of writing is essential.
Teacher Cover Letter: Hiring Manager’s name
After the date, include the full name of the hiring manager. If you don’t find the hiring manager’s name, have the principal or superintendent’s name.
Teacher Cover Letter: Organization Details
Next, add the school name and complete address.
Here’s how the cover letters for teachers header must look:
Sample teacher cover letter - starting:
As the hiring managers only have a couple of seconds to look at your application, you need to start the new teacher cover letter with a compelling statement to pique the hiring manager’s interest in your application.
Here’s how to do that:
Teacher Cover Letter: Salutation
You can easily find the hiring manager’s name with a quick Linkedin search. Additionally, you can go to the school website and find the hiring manager or the principal's name. You can also call the school helpdesk and ask for the hiring manager’s name.
If the hiring manager has some professional title, accurately mention that in the salutation. For example:
- “Dear Mr. Fox”
- “Dear Dr. Smith”
- “Dear Prof. Xavier”
If you don’t find the hiring manager’s name, address the cover letter with a generic salutation:
- “Dear Hiring Manager,”
- “Dear Principal,”
Also Read: How to Address a Cover Letter?
Teacher Cover Letter: Introductory Statement
The introductory statement of a cover letter for a teacher job application must hook the recruiter to read the cover letter to the end.
Here are three ways to start the sample cover letter for teacher:
- Start the teacher cover letter with your years of work experience
- Overview of your teaching achievement in the introduction
- Mention if you have any certification or license for teaching
Here’s one of the teacher cover letter examples with experience - introduction:
I am a dynamic and committed three years of experienced middle school teacher armed with a track record of designing and implementing course curriculum along with an efficient grading system for grades 7-9 to ensure complete student success. I am certified by the University of learning with an “A Grade English Teacher” and proficient in training new teachers and school administrative works.
Note: This example works because it perfectly nails the teacher cover letter introduction by mentioning years of experience, certification, and an overview of teaching experience
Note: This example does not work because it starts with years of experience or certification. Moreover, it does not successfully address the teacher’s expertise.
Sample cover letter for teacher with no experience - Introduction:
Dear Ms. Maximoff,
I am an enterprising and detail-oriented teacher pursuing a Bachelor of Arts in Education Science from Brandeis University adept at developing lesson plans to meet individual students’ needs. I am also proficient in monitoring student growth and preparing student progress reports. I’m also skilled at planning and executing field trips for students.
Possessing expertise in lesson planning and monitoring students to bolster student success, I am incredibly interested in a teacher’s profile. I firmly believe that I’ll be a valuable addition to Greendale High School.
Cover Letters for Teachers - Middle Section:
According to Glassdoor statistics, each corporate job opening gets approximately 250 resumes.
That means you need to set yourself apart from these 250 capable candidates to get the teaching job.
A well-crafted teacher cover letter middle section can help you stand out from the crowd. Here’s how to do that.
Divide the middle section of the cover letter for a teacher into two parts
- In the first part, write about your teaching accomplishments and why you are the perfect fit.
- In the second part, write about why you think the school is perfect for you.
Why You Are the Perfect Fit
You have successfully hooked the readers with a powerful introduction.
This section proves your experiences with numbers and statistics and shows that you are the perfect fit for the hiring manager.
Sample teacher cover letter with experience - example middle section:
Note: This example works perfectly because it successfully addresses the teacher’s skills and expertise with relevant statistics and power verbs.
Sample cover letter for teacher with no experience - example middle section:
In my previous experience as a teacher intern in Dreamland School, I have successfully assisted the senior teachers in creating lesson plans for grade 5- 8 students. Additionally, I have performed administrative duties such as preparing progress reports, grading students, conducting intra-school events, etc. Apart from that, I have headed a team of 20 students on field trips each month.
Note: This example never works because it’s vague. And does not address the candidate’s experience well.
Why Do You Think the School Is Perfect for You?
You have successfully shown them why you are the right fit for them. But to make the new teacher cover letter more personalized, write on why you think the school is perfect for you.
This will indicate that you have done your research and are genuinely interested in the job to the hiring manager.
Here’s an example:
The passion for excellence that Westwood School has shown to date towards elementary & middle school education has been nothing short of extraordinary. As part of being an A-list school, it has always prioritized the growth and well-being of its employees. Owing to such great values, I consider Westwood School to be my most preferred employer.
Note: However, do not be overly praising. It may sound unauthentic and cheezy.
Sample Teacher Cover letter- Ending:
Writing the perfect introduction and middle section is not the end.
You need to end the sample teacher cover letter with a powerful call-to-action so that hiring managers can not resist themselves from taking action after reading your teacher cover letter.
Teachers cover letter samples - example:
Note: This ending statement successfully includes a CTA for an interview in a professional manner. Also, enclosing the resume below forces the hiring manager to read your resume.
P.S.- Please find the attached resume below.
Note: This example does not work because it does not have an excellent call to action for an interview.
Teacher Cover Letter: Closing Salutation
Always end the cover letter with a professional closing salutation. Here’s a list of closing salutations for a cover letter for a teacher:
- Sincerely yours
- Best regards
- With best regards
- Kind regards
- Yours truly
- Most sincerely
- Thank you
Do not use casual or informal closing salutation in the teacher cover letter. Such as:
- Best wishes
- Warm regards
- Warmest regards
- Take care
- Take it easy
- Have a great day
- Have a nice day
- Yours faithfully
Also Read: What is the most professional way to close a cover letter?
How to Format the Sample Teacher Cover Letter:
A cover letter is a professional letter that accompanies your teacher resume. If it is poorly presented to the hiring manager, it will surely end up in the trash along with your candidacy.
Here are some tips for formatting the sample teacher cover letter professionally to ensure the hiring manager does not discard it.
- Length: A teacher cover letter should ideally consist of 3-4 paragraphs and should not exceed one page.
- Format: Ensure that the resume and cover letter use the same format, heading, font style and size, and colors.
- Cover letter Font: Ensure to use a clean and easy-to-read font. These fonts are ATS-friendly and also improve readability. Best fonts to use in sample teacher cover letter:
|Verdana||Open Sans||Times New Roman|
Note: Keep the font size between 12-14 points.
- Margin: Keep at least 1” margin on each side of the sample teacher cover letter. If the cover letter exceeds one page, then only reduce the margin to ¾” or ½” on each side. But make sure the margin is uniform on each side. Not 1” on one side and ½” on the other side.
- Whitespace: Ensure that the cover letter has plenty of whitespaces. To do that, keep the line spacing between 1- 1.15. More whitespace will make the cover letter easy to read and ATS-friendly.
- File format: Always send the cover letter to hiring managers in PDF format. Not in Docs format or jpg/png format.
Also Read: How long do recruiters prefer cover letters to be?
Sample Teacher Cover Letter - Checklist:
Let's give you a quick recap of all essentials to keep in your checklist gathered from these cover letter examples for teacher:
- Your name as the cover letter title
- Your contact information, including a phone number and professional email id
- Your residential location in “City, Country Code” format
- Desired job title as the subheading of the cover letter
- Date of writing
- Hiring manager’s name
- Organization’s name
- The full address of the organization
- Professional salutation
- An attention-grabbing opening paragraph
- A short paragraph on your experience and accomplishments as a teacher
- A paragraph on why you feel the organization is proper for you
- Closing paragraph with a powerful CTA for an interview.
- Closing salutation followed by your name
- Enclosure - resume
Also Read: How can you make the most of your teaching jobs on your cover letter?
Additional Tips for Sample Teacher Cover Letter:
Teaching is one of the highly-responsible jobs in the world. Because of that, hiring managers want to hire the best candidates.
Read these tips to write the best teacher cover letter and get your dream job:
Mention Your Skills in the Cover Letter:
The candidate must have some essential hard and soft skills to land a job as a teacher.
Mentioning these skills in the cover letter will allow the hiring manager to quickly understand the candidate’s competency for the teaching job.
Some common skills for sample teacher cover letter:
- Conflict Management
- Lesson Plan Development
- Organizational Skills
- SMART Boards
- Communication Tools
- Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)
Note: Do not just randomly mention the key skills in the cover letter. Give examples with stats(if possible) on how you have applied those skills in your sample teacher cover letter.
Research has shown that numbers get much more attention than words.
For the same reason, using numbers and stats to quantify your teaching accomplishments is the best way to stand out as a strong candidate. It also gives the hiring managers more context about your work and increases their confidence in you.
Here are some ideas to quantify your accomplishments in a cover letter:
- Mention how many students you have managed in the class
- How many lessons plans you have created
- How many of your students have got top grades.
Customize the Cover Letter According to the Job Description
A teacher cover letter should focus on the candidate’s achievements and address the schools’ needs.
To do that, you need to read the job description carefully and tailor the teacher cover letter to the specific job you are applying for.
Here are two ways to do that:
Research about the school:
Do some research about the school online, read their news about the section or magazine, and mention something you learned in the teacher cover letter. These personalized details hook the hiring manager and improve your chances of getting an interview.
Include keywords in your cover letter:
ATS software sorts the cover letters based on included keywords. So, read the job description carefully and identify the relevant keywords. Use these keywords in the sample teacher cover letter to effectively describe your skills and accomplishments.
Sample Teacher Cover Letter With Experience:
Also Read: How to create a recruiter-friendly teacher resume in 2023?
Writing a teacher’s cover letter is not as complicated as it looks. You just need to keep the abovementioned points in mind when writing the cover letter.
Here are some of the key takeaways from the blog:
- Craft the new teacher cover letter header section professionally
- Address the hiring manager directly by using professional salutation. Such as “Dear Dr. Xavier”
- Start the teacher cover letter with a powerful opening statement, preferably with your years of experience.
- Use the cover letter middle section to showcase your accomplishments and write about why you think the school is right for you.
- Finish the cover letter for a teacher with a strong call to action for an interview.
- Always enclose your resume below the cover letter.
- Ensure that the resume and the cover letter for teachers use the same template
With that, you have successfully created the sample teacher cover letter. Now it’s time to send the cover letter to the recruiter and prepare for an interview.
Go to Hiration career platform which has 24/7 chat support and get professional assistance with all your job & career-related queries.
For any queries or concerns, reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.