A Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) is an individual that assists doctors and other medical staff to deliver high-quality health care facilities for patients.
A CNA's fundamental duties include serving meals, making beds, maintaining hygiene, monitoring patient activities, setting up medical equipment, and assisting medical staff in performing required medical operations.
The CNA is an entry-level position that reports to the team leader of a nursing department or a healthcare unit.
In 2022, you do not need any educational degree to become a CNA. Instead, you can apply for the certification just after high school, where you recieve training in infection prevention, patient care, communication, vital signs, mental care, and other basic care.
This difinitive guide is focused on clearing all your doubts related to the essential CNA Skills in 2022. Here you will get the answers to every fundamental CNA skills related question such as:
- What are the essential CNA resume skills for CNA jobs 2022?
- How can I become a CNA in 2022?
- What are the responsibilities of a CNA?
- How can I increase my wage as a CNA?
- What career paths can I pursue with CNA experience?
You can become eligible for a CNA job with a diploma or certificate in a CNA program, but you will not be able to apply for a CNA Job without a professional CNA resume.
Resume-building is not everyone’s cup of tea. Hence, you might need an expert to complete this task. Hiration can work as a panacea in this case with its AI-powered Online Resume Builder that is effective enough to build an impeccable CNA resume without any complication.
Handbook of CNA Skills
A diploma or certificate in a CNA program will only make you eligible for a CNA job. But you will need to upgrade your skill set with modern CNA skills to bag your desired CNA job in 2022.
Here are we listing some technical and non-technical skills that you can consider to learn and add to your CNA resume skills section while applying for a CNA job in 2022:
|CNA Resume Skills- Technical||CNA Resume Skills- Non-Technical|
|Diagnostic Testing||Patient Care & Safety|
|Patient Monitoring||Patient Advocacy & Support|
|Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)||Vital Sign Analysis|
|Proficiency in Handling Medical Record Software||Personal Care|
|Drug Administration||Customer Service|
|Mastery of Medical Terminology||Communication|
You can use the above-given CNA skills list to build a professional and technically strong CNA resume skills section.
The Essential 25 Skills to clear the CNA exam in 2022
The above-given skills might help you bag a CNA job. However, you will have to complete the CNA training and pass the CNA exam to become an eligible CNA aspirant.
Considering this, here we are listing the essential 25 skills to clear the CNA exam and get CNA certification in 2022 flawlessly:
- Putting & Removing Gown & Gloves
- Positioning Patient in a Lateral (Side-Lying) Position
- Positioning in a Fowler's Position
- Assisting in Walking Using a Gait Belt
- Transferring from Bed to Chair Using a Gait Belt
- Making an Occupied Bed
- Perform Passive Range of Motion on the Lower Body
- Perform Passive Range of Motion on the Upper Body
- Mouth Care for an Unconscious Patient
- Brushing the Dentures
- Giving a Partial Bed Bath to Upper Body
- Giving a Partial Bed Bath to Lower Body
- Giving Perineal Care to a Female Patient
- Giving a Back Rub
- Cleaning & Trimming Fingernails
- Assisting in dressing with a paralyzed arm
- Serving the meal and feeding paralyzed patients
- Measuring and Recording the Height
- Assisting with Bedpans
- Measuring and Recording the Weight
- Counting and Recording Radial Pulse
- Counting and Recording Respirations
- Taking and Recording Blood Pressure
These are the must-have 25 Prometric CNA skills to clear your CNA exam in 2022 and be eligible to apply for a CNA job in desired healthcare and hospitals.
Also Read: CNA Resume
How to Become a CNA?
To become a CNA, you can enroll for CNA training and prepare for a CNA test authorized by the government of the United States. Here are the four steps to becoming a CNA in 2022:
- Get your high school diploma
- Complete the state-approved CNA training
- Polish your CNA skills
- Pass the CNA test and get CNA certification
25 Best CNA Program Offering Institutes in the United States
After completing your high school diploma, you will need to learn CNA skills and methods before getting your CNA licence.
We are listing the best 25 CNA course offering institutions of the United States below. You can choose any of them and start your CNA journey without any hassle.
- Central Cost College | Salinas, CA
- Charlotte Technical College | Port Charlotte, FL
- Cuyahoga Valley Career Center | Brecksville, OH
- Emily Griffith Technical College | Denver, CO
- Green Country Technology Center | Okmulgee, OK
- Hacienda La Puente Adult Education | La Puente, CA
- Healthcare Career College | Paramount, CA
- Indian Capital Technology Center-Muskogee | Muskogee, OK
- International Tranining Careers | Miami, FL
- Miami Valley Career Technology Center | Englewood, OH
- Michigan Career and Technical Institute | Plainwell, MI
- Pontotoc Technology Center | Ada, OK
- Quest College | San Antonio, TX
- Regional Center for Border Health | Somerton, AZ
- Ross Medical Education Center-Midland | Midland, MI
- South Texas Training Center | San Benito, TX
- Southwest Technology Center | Altus, OK
- Suncoast Technical College | Sarasota, FL
- Technical College of the Rockies | Delta, CO
- Treasure Coast Technical College | Vero Beach, FL
- Uintah Basin Technical College | Roosevelt, UT
- Valley Grande Institute for Academic Studies | Weslaco, TX
- Vantage Career Center | Van Wert, OH
- Washington County Career Center-Adult Technical Training | Mariette, OH
- Waynesville Career Center | Waynesville, MO
Typical CNA Responsibilities
A certified nursing assistant has to deal with numerous duties under the supervision of a nurse. CNAs work directly with patients to offer direct health care requirements.
Here is a list of some fundamental responsibilities of a certified nursing assistant at a hospital, clinic, or any healthcare unit:
- Gathering Medical Supplies
- Turning or Moving Patients
- Grooming Patients
- Bathing Patients
- Feeding Patients and Documenting Their Liquid and Food Intake
- Answering Patient Calls
- Checking Vital Signs Including Heart Rate and Blood Pressure
- Cleaning Rooms & Beds
- Documenting Information
- Assisting with Medical Procedures
- Stocking Supplies
- Transporting Patients
- Taking Care of Wounds
- Safety Procedures
Where can you apply for a job as Certified Nursing Assistant?
Certified nursing assistants can work in every kind of healthcare unit, including:
- Nursing Homes
- Long-term Residential Facilities
- Adult Daycare Centers
- Clinical Facilities
- Rehabilitation Centers
In simple words, we can say that CNAs can get a job in every niche that offers medical facilities.
How to Earn More as CNA?
Like every other profession, your work experience as a CNA will define your wage in this niche. To earn better as a certified nursing assistant, you need to:
- Upgrade your skills
- Consider relocating to other cities
- Work later shifts
- Select industries with higher pay
You can consider following these points to increase your CNA salary in 2022.
Optional Career Paths For CNAs
After getting experience as a certified nursing assistant, you can also switch to other profile titles for steady career growth. Here are some optional career paths that you can opt for after becoming a CNA:
Critical Care Technicians
These professionals provide medical assistance for emergency cases in hospitals or any healthcare unit.
Patient Care Technicians
Patient care technicians support doctors and nurses to offer health care services for patients with mental and physical health concerns.
These are general CNAs who offer on-location health care assistance required by doctors, nurses, or other medical staff.
Qualified Medication Aide
Qualified Medication Aides are the CNAs who have cleared the state-approved Qualified Medication Aide course.
Home Health Aide
Home Health Aide is a professional that provides basic care services to ill, elderly, or disabled people.
Certified Medical Assistant
These are medical professionals who have credentials from the Certifying Board of the American Association of Medical Assistants.
Physical Therapy Assistant
Physical therapy assistants are the professionals who offer physical therapy services under the supervision of a physical therapist.
Also Read: CNA Cover Letter
FAQs About CNAs
To clear the fundamental queries about certifiend nursing assistant career, we are answering these frequently asked questions:
How much do CNAs earn?
According to the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average CNA salary across the country in 2020 was USD 32,050. The top 10% salaried CNAs earned USD 42,110, while the bottom 10% earned USD 22,750.
How much time does it take to become a certified CNA?
Some individuals take months while some become certified nursing assistants in some weeks. It depends on how quickly you want to start your professional CNA journey. Hence, you can find a course as per your needs and availability.
Is medical assistant and CNA same job position?
Both medical assistants and CNAs work in healthcare sector but have different responsibilities. CNAs usually offer direct patient care, while medical assistants deal mostly with clinical and administrative tasks.
What is the difference between nursing assitant and CNA?
Many nursing assistant positions do not require specialized certifications. However, if you want to become an RN, LPN, or other nursing professional it would be better to get certified.
CNA Job Assistance at Hiration
You can get a CNA job with the help of a diploma/certificate and modern CNS skills. However, you will need a well-versed CNA resume to apply for a CNA job. To ease your resume-building process, Hiration has built an AI-powered Online Resume Builder. It comes with 24/7 chat support to offer you a smooth resume-bulding experience without any hurdle.
You can use this marvelous online tool to craft a highly professional CNA resume with ease. Apart from this, you can also consider checking out Hiration’s other job assistance tools listed below:
Take a look at the key takeaways of this reference guide:
- You can gate a CNA license start your CNA career after graduating from high school
- You will need a government-approved CNA certificate to kickstart your CNA career
- You need to learn modern CNA skills to grow better as a certified nursing assistant
- You can also switch to other profiles like CMA after getting CNA experience
We have showcased every essential skill you will need to grow as a successful CNA in 2022. We recommend you to keep upgrading your CNA skills to grow and earn better as a certified nursing assistant. If you need any additional job assistance, you can contact our experts at firstname.lastname@example.org.