Is Canva good for resumes?
Resumes are often the first impression that potential employers have of you when you’re applying for jobs. And therefore, it is crucial to ensure that it presents the best professional version of you.
While a well-crafted resume can make all the difference in helping you stand out from the crowd of applicants, not everyone has the design skills to create one.
This is where free resume builders tools like Canva and Hiration come in. These are online design platforms that offer readymade templates for users to create visually appealing resumes without much effort.
These platforms offer a user-friendly interface along with a variety of design options to choose from, all of which are optimized for Applicant Tracking System (ATS), a software used by recruiters to select the most qualified resumes.
Plus, studies show that using online resume builders can save job seekers an average time of 2-3 hours while creating a resume.
Read on to learn more about Canva resumes and Hiration resume builder-related queries like the following:
- What are some of the best Canva resume templates?
- How can you choose the right Hiration and Canva resume templates for you?
- How to customize your resume on Hiration and Canva resume builder?
- What are some Hiration and Canva resume tips and best practices to build a stellar resume?
Hiration vs Canva Resume Templates
Since resume builders offer ample options for resume templates and designs, it can get overwhelming if you’re new to the platform.
The templates vary in format, style, and design and users can choose a template based on their requirements and industry.
One of the important factors that candidates must consider while choosing resume templates on Canva and Hiration is their industry and the targeted job profile.
For instance, if you are in a more traditional or conservative industry like healthcare and law, a traditional template might be the best choice. While job seekers who belong to a more creative or design-oriented field opt for a more creative template.
Given below are some of the categories into which Hiration and Canva resume templates can be divided:
Traditional Resume Templates
With a classic and professional design, traditional resume templates offer a clean and minimal layout with a single font style and format.
These templates are best for job seekers who are applying for jobs in traditional sectors like law, healthcare, finance, etc.
The following are some examples of traditional resume templates:
- Classic Resume Template - Featuring a clean and simple layout with traditional font choices and a minimal color scheme, this template is suitable for candidates in any industry.
- Professional Resume Template - This template includes some modern elements with a traditional resume design and clean lines that give it a professional look. It is well suited for professionals in the corporate or business world.
- Executive Resume Template - If you are applying for senior-level or executive positions, this template is a great option as it comes with a sleek and sophisticated layout.
Creative Resume Templates
As the name suggests, creative resume templates are tailored for job seekers who belong to the creative or design industries.
These templates come with bold colors, graphics, and eye-catching layouts that can help showcase the candidate’s personality and design skills.
Some of these templates also feature colorful backgrounds, infographics, and a separate section for the candidate’s portfolio.
Modern resume templates, creative resume templates, and infographic resume templates are some of the templates that belong to this category.
Minimalist Resume Templates
Minimalist resume templates are characterized by their clean and simple design.
They generally include a white background, a subtle color palette, and simple fonts and can be used by candidates from all industries.
Elegant resume templates, minimal CV templates, and minimalist resume templates are some examples of templates under this category.
Hiration vs Canva Resume Builder Features
While Canva resume builder is mostly focused on the design elements like shapes, icons, and backgrounds, Hiration offers a more comprehensive array of tools like AI review and job matcher to help perfect your resume.
In Canva, users can customize their resumes only on visual aspects by dragging and dropping elements, changing colors and fonts, and adding images and text.
Whereas, Hiration resume builder not only offers 100+ resume templates that users can switch between with a single click but also offers advanced AI-backed features like the following:
- AI reviewer that reviews your existing resume, gives a live score based on the content, design, and format, and provides actionable suggestions to improve your resume
- Job matcher that matches your resume against the target job listing to assess skill gaps
- An AI assistant that provides next-word prediction, content optimization, and suggestions for resume bullets points, skills, and summary
- An option to add/delete/reorder resume sections
- The tool comes with an automatic save feature that saves the user’s progress so they don't have to worry about losing any work
- The tool allows users to download their resumes in multiple formats like PDF and word and share them on different platforms
- The tool also provides 24x7 chat support to the users to resolve any queries
Irrespective of whether you’re only looking to enhance the design and visual aspects of your resume with Canva or you want to work on both the visual aspects and the actual content of your resume with Hiration, the following are some resume tips that you can implement to perfect your resume:
- Choose the right template: Consider your industry and targeted job profile while choosing your resume template.
- Tailor your resume to the job description: To make your resume all the more compelling, you must highlight the skills, qualifications, and experiences that are most relevant to the role you’re targeting.
- Use keywords: Since most employers use applicant tracking systems (ATS) to filter resumes, it is important to include industry-specific keywords in your resume to rank high in the ATS.
- Keep it concise: Unless you have 10+ years of experience, it’s best to keep your resume limited to a page.
- Use action verbs and bullet points: Rather than writing bulky paragraphs to showcase your professional experience, use bullet points beginning with action verbs like managed, led, oversaw, etc. that make your resume more compelling.
- Use figures and numbers: Emphasize your accomplishments and responsibilities by using numbers and percentages, which will be more impactful.
- Proofread your resume: Ensure to check your resume for typos, grammatical errors, and spelling mistakes before saving your final draft.
Hiration's resume builder is a user-friendly, feature-rich tool that offers a wide range of templates, customizable sections, real-time content optimization, and AI-powered writing assistance to help users create professional-looking resumes quickly and easily. Meanwhile, Canva resume builder is focused on the design and visual elements of resumes.
- Studies show that using online resume builders can save job seekers an average time of 2-3 hours while creating a resume.
- One of the important factors that candidates must consider while choosing resume templates on Canva and Hiration is their industry and the targeted job profile.
- While Canva resume builder is mostly focused on the design elements like shapes, icons, and backgrounds, Hiration offers a more comprehensive array of tools like AI review and job matcher to help perfect your resume.
- Since most employers use applicant tracking systems (ATS) to filter resumes, it is important to include industry-specific keywords in your resume to rank high in the ATS.
- Rather than writing bulky paragraphs to showcase your professional experience, use bullet points beginning with action verbs like managed, led, oversaw, etc. that make your resume more compelling.
- Ensure to check your resume for typos, grammatical errors, and spelling mistakes before saving your final draft.
If you want to build a job-winning resume that is not only visually appealing but also includes compelling content, use Hiration’s AI-powered resume builder that also offers 24x7 chat support.