Click here to directly go to the complete stage manager resume sample
Let your stage manager resume orchestrate a show.
As an all-encompassing figure in theater production, the role of a stage manager is expansive. How will you reflect this responsibility in your stage manager resume?
We'll help you figure it out!
Before we get into the nitty-gritty of how to ace your stage manager resume, here's a quick summary:
- Choose the reverse chronological format to categorize your work experience in your stage manager resume
- Group your work experience and highlight the important points to enhance the readability of your resume
- Add suitable soft and hard skills relevant to theater production in your stage manager resume
- Mention any certifications or training in production in the certifications section
- Add your volunteer experience or membership at a theater club in the additional information section
We fully understand that you're full of unanswered questions about stage manager resumes. We took the liberty to answer them for you. Read on!
- What Are the Duties of a Stage Manager?
- How Much Do Stage Managers Get Paid?
- What Is a Stage Manager Resume and Why Do You Need It?
- How to curate the Professional Experience Section in a Stage Manager Resume?
- What Skills Do Stage Managers Need?
- What Does an Excellent Summary Section Look Like in a Stage Manager Resume?
- What Are the Qualifications of a Stage Manager?
- What Constitutes an Excellent Cover Letter for Your Stage Manager Resume?
Want to get this over with already? Use our Online Resume Builder, and we'll make them for you! Not only that, we offer services for cover letters, digital portfolios, interview prep, and LinkedIn review.
A one-stop shop to guarantee the stage manager job of your dreams!
What Is the Role of the Stage Manager?
Aside from a production manager, a stage manager assists and assembles the various teams into a coherent system.
Stage Manager Definition:
The stage manager handles all the major functions of theater production, right from rehearsals to an entire performance, all while guaranteeing the smooth running of all departments.
They provide assistance to all members of the production, such as:
- Stage Crew
This function of a stage manager is crucial during rehearsals, as the director's sidekick, and communication details between the director and the rest of the members.
What Are the Responsibilities of a Stage Manager?
How to be a good stage manager?
The post of stage manager has a lot of responsibilities. It is important to acquaint yourself with them before you prepare your stage manager resume and prep yourself to find stage manager jobs. Some of the stage manager responsibilities are:
- Schedule rehearsals and costume fittings
- Acting as a link between director and stage crew
- Ensure the coordination of all departments
- Noting feedback and overseeing the rehearsals
- Ensure the props are ready for the actors and stage crew
- Work with the production manager to fix budgets
- Handle on-stage and offstage functioning during performances
The stage manager ensures that every little aspect of production is fixed and ready for every rehearsal, and keeps updating them as per the director’s wishes.
How Much Do Stage Managers Get Paid?
Stage manager jobs get paid differently based on their position. However, the consensus is the following.
- Salary says that stage managers get paid USD 44,655 annually.
- According to PayScale, stage managers earn a yearly income of USD 40,373.
- However, Indeed says that stage managers are paid USD 39,250 yearly.
Keep in mind that the salaries will change depending on the country and the popularity of the art itself.
How Do You Describe a Stage Manager on a Resume?
The process of making a stage manager resumes is more nuanced than it was a decade ago.
That is because of the implementation of the ATS or Applicant Tracking System in the recruiting process to make it easier.
The ATS is a software that screens through all of the applicants’ resumes and narrows it down to a bunch of eligible ones.
This eligibility test is done based on keywords, so your goal is to inculcate those keywords that appear on the stage manager job description in your stage manager resume.
Hence, you need to have an ATS-friendly resume ready at your disposal whenever interesting stage manager jobs pop up!
If this is confusing, you can check our blog on ATS Compliance to ensure that you’re on the right track.
Which Resume Format Should You Choose for Your Stage Manager Resume?
For highly competent stage manager jobs, you need a highly competent resume. Here is where resume formats come in.
There are three resume formats for your stage manager resume, and they are:
Reverse Chronological Format
In this format, the spotlight will be given to your work experience which will be written in reverse chronological order. Your most recent work experience will be written first and your first experience towards the end.
This is of relevance to the recruiter because they care more about your recent experience as it aligns with your present character more.
Here’s why you should pick reverse chronological format for your stage manager resume:
- Recruiter friendly and easily readable
- Lists your most recent work experience first
- ATS compliant
- Gives more importance to your work experience
Wanna know more? Check out a detailed blog on Reverse Chronological Format to ace all details of this format
Have gaps in your career that you can’t explain? Perhaps you’re having a career change?
Functional format highlights your stage manager skills more than it does your work experience. This format will put your stage manager skills in the forefront so that your hiring manager knows how you can contribute to their theater!
Check out our blog on Functional Format to know more!
If neither of the above two appeals to you, this can be your savior!
The combination format is a hybrid of reverse chronological format and functional format. The first half is written in reverse chronological format and the second half in combination format, giving you the best of both.
You can highlight your stage manager skills and your work experience!
Sounds like a winner? Check out our blog on Combination Format to know how you can inculcate this format into your stage manager resume.
Our pick is the reverse chronological format as it is the standard. However, you can pick yours and submit it to our Online Resume Builder to make it simple for you!
Include the Right Sections to Your Stage Manager Resume
To categorize your information, you can divide your stage manager resume into sections so it does not seem scattered.
The important sections that you need to pay extra attention to are:
- Resume summary/objective
- Key skills
- Professional experience
Other resume sections that complete the resume are:
- Personal information
- Profile title
- Awards and recognition
- Additional information
We’ll be delving into each section to get you a bomb stage manager resume. Or you can rely on us at Hiration’s Online Resume Builder with 100+ pre-filled stage manager resume templates, and you can leave the rest to us!
Create the Perfect Professional Experience Section in a Stage Manager Resume
The professional experience section of your stage manager resume is what the hiring manager will zero in on, so make sure that it is groomed to perfection!
In your work experience section, make sure that you do not omit:
- Job title
- Name of the theater
- Key achievements
As assumed, we have tips to ace your professional experience section as well!
Concise One-Liners For the Win
Let’s be real, your recruiter will not have all the time in the world to go through the wall of text that you’re planning to put in your stage manager resume.
Instead, use one-liners that deliver the point and start your sentences with power verbs so that you minimize beating around the bush.
Don't know what power verbs to use? Check out our post on Power Verbs to know more!
Group and Highlight
Under each section in your work experience part of your stage manager resume, make sure that you highlight or bold the major points. Doing so will ensure that your hiring manager will easily get an idea of your career trajectory.
The idea here is to divide your work experience section of your stage manager resume so that each division is dedicated to a company, and its specifics are listed below.
Hiration Pro Tip: Quantify whatever data you can so that your hiring manager has a clear idea of what you achieved during your term at a company. Make it even more catchy by highlighting it. You’re welcome!
Follow the STAR Format
- Situation, for the predicament you found yourself in
- Task, for the tasks that were assigned to you
- Action, for the actions you undertook to complete the task
- Result, or the outcome of the actions that you took
By following this method, you can create a cause-effect methodology that will be a testament to your competence.
If you’re hesitant to play the guessing game and cant take risks with your stage manager resume, use our Online Resume Builder to get a top-notch resume that checks all the boxes.
To give you an example, here is the work experience section in a stage manager resume sample:
Add Your Core Skills in Your Stage Managers Resume
For such a huge role, there are some desirable skills that a stage manager would need. A hiring manager in production is on the hunt for these stage manager skills while scanning your stage manager resume.
Some of these desired skills are:
|Soft Skills||Hard Skills|
|Leadership||Understanding of current technology|
|Team player||Organizational skills|
|Interpersonal communication||Scheduling rehearsals|
|Problem-solving||Managing stage crew and technicians|
|Crisis management||Enforcing directors feedback|
|Time management||Arranging props and costume checks|
Since stage management systems are constantly updated, stage manager qualifications will also include acquaintance with relevant software or other technical skills.
In this case, make a subcategory of technical skills and mention the software names. Feel free to add MS Office among other software, as it will be appreciated.
The key skills section in your stage manager resume can look like this:
Include a Summary Section in Your Stage Manager Resume
A resume summary is the first important thing that a hiring manager sees. Hence, it is crucial that this section is readable and packed with important points.
Keeping in mind that the hiring manager will not spend more than 10 seconds on your stage manager resume.
Hence, it is crucial to follow the tips given below:
- Use phrases instead of sentences
- Make it concise and not wordy
- It has to be 3-4 lines
- Mention your work experience in cause-effect methodology
- Focus on your work experience and skills more
However, if you have less than 3 years of experience in the field, you can write a resume objective. Read our blog on how you can perfect your stage manager Resume Objective.
Want us to do the job for you? Use Hiration’s Online Resume Builder and worry no more!
To give you a fair idea, here is an example for a good summary section in a stage manager resume:
Mention Details of Your Qualifications in a Stage Manager Resume
A stage manager has more to it than specific windows of qualities. Your stage manager skills probably outweigh your educational qualifications.
However, an eye for creativity or a background in creative arts can be beneficial for stage manager roles.
A few subjects that can be considered to be stage manager qualifications are:
- Drama and Theater Studies
- Performing Arts
- Theater Production
If you have years of experience in the field, just mentioning your degree, university, location, and graduation year would do.
If you want to pull focus to your degree and you do not have as much work experience for stage manager roles, you can:
- Mention the name and location of the university
- Add it in the (mm/yy - mm/yy) format of the start and end date
- Attach the names of relevant course modules
An appropriate stage manager resume template for the education section is:
Add Extra Details in Your Stage Manager Resume
If you have a certification in stage management or training you want to include, you can shine with this section of your stage manager resume.
You can divide them into sections, namely:
If you think your education will not cut it for stage manager jobs, you can divert the attention to your certifications or training.
When you list your certifications, make sure that it follows the format of:
Certification | Certifying Authority | Time Period
You can elaborate on them if you think it is important, but ensure that it does not cross four lines.
Any relevant information from achievements to positions of responsibility, you can add here! You can also add any volunteer experience or languages that you are fluent in.
If you want, you can give a brief description of what you have listed, and make sure that it is short and concise.
Given below is a stage manager resume template for the additional information section:
Frame the Right Header for Your Stage Manager Resume
As it is the very first thing your recruiter will see, it is a piece of information that acts as your ID.
To make a positive impression right away:
- Make sure that it is boldly stated with a clean font
- It has to be within a size range of 16-20 points
- Enter your middle name as an initial only
- Leave a single space between the first and last name
- Avoid writing the word Resume, for it is pointless
A stage manager resume example for an appropriate header is:
Enter Your Personal Information on Your Stage Manager Resume
This section tells your recruiter how they can contact you if they liked your stage manager resume, so make sure you update them as required.
As personal information, you can give:
- Contact number with your country code
- Professional email address
- Location with the city, state format or city, country format if applying abroad
- LinkedIn profile, if you regularly use it.
Check out our blog on Contact Information so that you don’t go wrong in any aspect!
Here's a stage manager resume template for a good contact information section :
A Stage Manager Profile Title Should Look Accurate
The profile title section of your stage manager resume shows your designation and expertise level as a professional.
There are many profile titles for stage manager jobs such as:
- Assistant stage manager
- Deputy stage manager
- Stage manager
- Company stage manager
Add your designation in a size range of 14-16 points, as it is one of the ways to get a direct idea of your professional status.
Given below is a stage manager resume example of a proper profile title:
Include an Excellent Cover Letter for Your Stage Manager Resume
A customized cover letter is the surest way for you to stand out from the rest of the applicants. A cover letter is where you can talk about how you can prove to be a good fit for stage manager jobs.
Before writing a cover letter, keep these in mind:
- Make it easily readable
- Do not use complicated sentence structures
- Try not to exaggerate your achievements
- Don't add anything extra to your stage manager resume
- Keep it short and readable by diving them into small paragraphs
If you don’t want to risk it, we offer Cover Letter Building services as well! With 10+ cover letter templates, you can choose what works best for you and impress your hiring managers.
Use Hiration’s Resume Review Service
You can upload your stage manager resume to our Resume Builder and get suggestions as to how you can improve your resume.
You can also send your details in, and we can make a fresh one just for you. Leave the official things to us, and you can prepare for your interviews because that shortlist will not pass you!
The experts at Hiration will review your stage manager resume with these in mind:
- Content Relevance
- Compliance with industry norms
- Design Compatibility
- Performance Assessment
- Conversion Scope
- ATS Compliance
- Global Compatibility
- Resume Formatting
- Recruiter Friendliness
Hiration’s Online Resume Builder
We understand that the pressure of making a perfect resume is too much to handle. That is why we offer our services where our experts will consult you to build just the stage manager resume you want.
Our Online Resume Builder offers a range of features like:
- Option to save unlimited resumes
- Intuitive next text suggestion
- Auto bold feature
- Unlimited PDF downloads
- 25+ resume designs
- JD-resume matcher
- Full rich-text editor
- 100+ pre-filled resume templates
- 1-click design change
- LIVE resume score
- A sharable link
- LIVE resume editor
Aside from these, we offer other services to face your job applications head-on, such as our:
Stage Manager Resume Sample
Before you get started with the blog, we wanted to give you a stage manager resume sample for you to cross-check!
- Planned & delivered a project concerning expansion of audience size from 50% to ~100% within the set budget
- Orchestrated and coordinated ~ 20 major shows with budgets of USD 30k
- Successfully liaised with casts and crews of 50–70 professionals while ensuring quality performances and on-time action
- Collaborated with designers and craft professionals as part of communicating the director's requirements and adhering to it
- Coordinated the tasks delegated to the stage crew, and oversaw the entire show each time it is performed
- Scheduled all rehearsals and notified everyone w.r.t rehearsal timings, meetings, costume/wig fittings and coaching sessions
- Performed a crucial role in marking out the dimensions of the set on the floor of the rehearsal hall
- Ensured availability of rehearsal props and furnishings for the actors, and attended all rehearsals
- Recorded all lights, sound and set change technical cues in the prompt book for effectively coordinating the onstage action
- Assisted in theatre productions and preparing everything before the show comprising props, scenery, lighting and sound
- Supported the designers and performers before and during the show and monitored timely actions
- Played a key role in building the set, including mechanical or moving parts while ensuring its proper functioning
- Superintended loading, unloading and assembling moving scenery and oversaw special effects such as trap doors
- CGPA: 3.8/4.0
- Member of the Theatre Club | Jun '13 - Jan '15
- Member of the Childcare NGO | Jun '15 - Present
- Organizing various events, including plays and performances, by liaising with 10+ volunteers during weekends
- Languages: English (native) and French (fluent)
If you want an equally professional-looking stage manager resume, consider signing up for our Online Resume Builder service.
- Ensure your stage manager resume is ATS-compliant by following the necessary guidelines
- Choose the reverse chronological format for your stage manager resume
- Group your professional experience under titles and elaborate on one-liners
- Add any stage manager skills in the key skills section of your stage manager resume
- Add your stage manager qualifications in the education section to highlight your knowledge
- You can add achievements, volunteer work, or membership in any club in the additional information section
- Update your contact information as required in your stage manager resume
- Draft an equally bomb cover letter to go with your stage manager resume
Go to Hiration resume builder and create a professional resume for yourself. Additionally, reach out to us at email@example.com and you can get 24/7 professional assistance with all your job & career-related queries.