What is a Sous Chef?
After the executive chef, a sous chef is the second in command in a kitchen and the main function of a sous chef is to ensure the smooth running of the kitchen.
As a part of their roles and responsibilities, sous chefs must master the essential techniques to cook all types of food served in the restaurant.
Moreover, a sous chef should also ensure proper hygiene and have basic knowledge of equipment repairs in the kitchen.
According to a popular career platform named Indeed, you must have at least 10-12 years of cooking experience in a restaurant to become a sous chef.
To apply for a sous chef job in 2022, you need to understand the basics of analyzing an executive sous chef Job description. By analyzing the job description, you will be able to filter suitable positions at your convenience.
Considering the lack of information for the sous chef profile, we are answering the following questions here that will clear your doubts related to the sous chef career:
- What are the duties and responsibilities of a sous chef?
- What does a sous chef do?
- What skills are needed to become a sous chef?
- What are the top colleges for sous chef education?
- What are the online certificates to boost my sous chef career?
Apart from the experience, skills, and educational degree, you will need a job-winning sous chef resume to get your targeted job. To ease the resume-building process, you can have a glance at Hiration’s Online Resume Builder.
This digital tool is powered by Artificial Intelligence technology that will help you build an impeccable sous chef resume without any complication.
Sous Chef Job Description Sample
A sous chef job description includes all the responsibilities associated with your role as a sous chef at your targeted hotel or restaurant. Before applying for any sous chef position, we recommend you read the job description with a focused mind. It will help you analyze your eligibility for the role.
Apart from this, you can leverage the sous chef job description to pick profile-centric keywords for your sous chef resume. The job description consists of numerous keywords that can be used in your resume to make it ATS friendly and parse through the screening round without any hurdle.
Let us have a look at some real-time sous chef job description samples to know the basic sous chef duties in the real world. These sous chef job descriptions will give you an idea of ‘What does a sous chef do?’:
Junior Sous Chef Job Description
Take a look at a real-time Junior Sous Chef job description showcased below:
We are seeking a sous chef who can assist the overall success of the food program and oversee culinary tasks. A perfect fit will assist in every phase of ordering, planning, food preparation, and inventory management.
The role includes responsibilities for addressing the Health Department’s regulations, client’s culture and guidelines, and the restaurant’s expectations & standards for food quality, presentation, and freshness. As a sous chef, you must also train, motivate, direct, and develop the associates cooking and preparing foods to address the operational objectives of client & customer satisfaction.
Take a look at the key responsibilities of a sous chef at our restaurant:
- Coordinate & participate in the cooking and preparation of all the food items present in the restaurant’s menu
- Assist with planning tasks and building food menus
- Develop and execute new culinary programs in coordination with the culinary and marketing team
- Assist with cost management and expenditure control within the restaurant
- Perform small repairs on kitchen equipment
Senior Sous Chef Job Description
You can see a real-time senior Sous Chef job description below:
We are looking for an executive sous chef who can work directly with or without the Executive Chef to improve and maintain all the culinary operations in the restaurant.
A perfect fit for this role must be able to monitor the culinary department's daily tasks, including offering guidance and support to the culinary team, ending in a marvelous guest experience. We hope to develop the skills of Executive Sous Chef into the role of Executive Chef via the training of Grade Manager, Banquets, and Restaurants.
As an Executive Sous Chef, you will be responsible for:
- Supporting seniors by assuming and developing essential management responsibilities
- Assuming the liaison role between all the departments within the Culinary division and other hotel departments
- Supervising departmental Link Chefs and Sous Chefs performance and council them to perform better
- Building and executing creative menu items suitable to the restaurant’s conscious brand standards and cooking philosophy
- Planning, coordination, and implementing functions and special events
- Managing kitchen staff via scheduling, training, payroll, evaluating, coaching, and hiring
- Coaching and leading the entire kitchen team towards achieving marvelous guest service as well as employee satisfaction outcomes
- Monitoring orders, food production, quality, and cost consistently daily to ensure controlled financial performance
- Ensuring proper sanitation and safety of every kitchen equipment and facility
- Facilitating and organizing training, departmental meetings, and goals setting
What Skills are Needed to Become a Sous Chef?
To get a sous chef job in this highly competitive market, you need to be equipped with the required modern sous chef skills.
We are listing the ten most effective sous chef skills that will help you beat your competitors during the recruitment process:
|Sous Chef Skills||Sous Chef Skills|
|Hygiene Management||Workplace Health & Safety|
|Organizational Skills||Leadership & Communication|
|Neat & Professional Presentation||Training|
Top Colleges For Sous Chef Education
Getting a degree in hospitality or culinary arts is one of the easiest ways to become a sous chef. However, selecting a suitable college to complete your degree course can confuse you as numerous colleges offer culinary arts degrees.
Considering this, we have filtered the ten best colleges to kickstart your sous chef career:
|Name of College||Location|
|Johnson & Wales University||Providence, RI|
|Culinary Institute of America||Hyde Park, NY|
|University of Western States||Portland, OR|
|The Art Institute of Houston||Houston, TX|
|Sullivan University||Louisville, KY|
|Kendall College||Chicago, IL|
|Western Washington University||Bellingham, WA|
|Schoolcraft College||Livonia, MI|
|The Art Institute of Atlanta||Atlanta, GA|
|The Restaurant School at Walnut Hill College||Philadelphia, PA|
7 Best Universities For Sous Chef in the United States
To upgrade your educational level as a sous chef, you can enroll at any of these below-listed universities in the United States. These universities will offer you higher-level degrees to earn better as a sous chef.
|Name of University||Location|
|Drexel University||Philadelphia, PA|
|University of Cincinnati||Cincinnati, OH|
|Cornell University||Ithaca, NY|
|University of Texas||Austin, TX|
|Boston University||Boston, MA|
|Southwest Minnesota State University||Marshall, MN|
|Inter American University of Puerto Rico Ponce||Mercedita, PR|
Online Certifications to Boost Your Sous Chef Career
We have picked some online certifications that will boost your sous chef career. You can opt for any of these certifications based on your experience and skills. Adding any of these certificates to your resume will make it stronger than your competitors during the recruitment process.
|Certification Name||Certification Provider|
|Certified Culinary Administrator (CCA)||ACF|
|Certified Food Manager (CFM)||IFSEA, MCFE|
|Food Safety Manager Certification||NRFSP, FSMC|
|ServSafe Food Protection Manager Certification||National Restaurant Association|
|Certified Nutrition Specialist (CNS)||BCNS|
|Certified Professional- Food Safety (CP-FS)||NEHA|
|Certified Master Chef (CMC)||ACF|
|Certified Executive Chef (CEC)||ACF|
|Certified Restaurant Server||AHLEI|
|Certified Sous Chef (CSC)||ACF|
Sous Chef Job Assistance at Hiration
You can get a sous chef job with the help of the above-given skills and a degree in hospitality or culinary arts. Additionally, you will need an impeccable sous chef resume to apply for your desired job.
Hiration has made resume-building easy via its AI-powered Online Resume Builder. This digital tool will help you build a highly professional resume in some easy steps. Additional job assistance tools you will get at Hiration includes:
Take a look at the key takeaways of this blog:
- Analyze the sous chef job description to craft your sous chef resume accordingly
- Pick profile-centric keywords from the banquet sous chef job description to make an ATS-friendly resume
- Learn and add modern sous chef skills to your resume relevant to the requirements in the sous chef job description
- Get online sous chef certificates to boost your career up to a new level and earn better
A job description is one of the key elements to analyze before applying for any job. Hence, we advise you to read the banquet sous chef job description with a focused mind before applying for your targeted job. For any additional sous chef job assistance, contact our experts at email@example.com.