How much are network engineers paid?
You’ve come to the right place to explore the topic.
Given the steady growth of employment opportunities in the tech industry, the job outlook for network engineers is projected to grow by 5% from 2020 to 2030
And yes, the career trajectory of a network engineer is lucrative, as these professionals earn an average salary of $82,728 per year in the US while network engineer salary per hour averages around $43.02.
However, network engineer salaries are influenced by factors such as geographical location, experience level, skillset, company, and education.
Network engineers are responsible for setting up, maintaining, and troubleshooting computer networks within an organization.
They facilitate smooth operations by ensuring high-quality network infrastructure and performance for in-house users.
Read on to learn more about the following topics related to network engineer salary:
- What are the roles and responsibilities of a network engineer?
- Network engineering salary based on experience level
- Highest paying US cities and states for network engineer job salary
- Top US companies hiring network engineers
- Network engineer salary by educational background
- Network engineer skills that can help you earn more
- Top network engineer certifications to help your career
- Is network engineering a good career?
- What are some of the common FAQs about network engineer salary?
Network Engineer Duties
Not only do network engineers secure the internal network of a company, they also work closely with the users of the company's network to determine potential issues and troubleshoot problems.
Given below are some of the roles and responsibilities of a network engineer:
- Executing disaster recovery functions and backing up data when required
- Devising strategies to protect data and implement security measures
- Overseeing the maintenance of system hardware parts and replacing inadequate components when required
- Maintaining and configuring software and email applications for virus protection
- Servicing master consoles to assess network performance and computer systems
Also read: How to find network engineer jobs in 2022?
Network Engineer Salary Based on Experience Level
As with any job profile, one of the most crucial factors that affect network engineer salary is your experience level.
The more experienced you are, the higher your network engineer pay.
Take a look at the following table of network engineer salaries with varying experience levels:
|Experience Level||Average Annual Salary|
|Entry-level network engineer salary||$57,308|
|Junior network engineer salary||$59,023|
|Mid level network engineer salary||$85,086|
|Senior network engineer salary||$102,446|
Also read: How to write a compelling networking resume?
Highest Paying US Cities and States for Network Engineering Jobs
Due to varying costs of living across different US states and cities, the salary of a network engineer also changes based on this factor.
The difference in pay based on geographical location is also caused due to varying demand for talent in different regions.
States and cities that have a high demand for network engineers usually offer a higher wage to attract valuable employees.
Some of the highest paying US States for network engineers are:
|US States||Average Salary|
|Network engineer salary California||$89,073|
|Network engineer salary Maryland||$85,901|
|Network engineer salary Washington||$81,352|
|Network engineer salary New york||$80,048|
|Network engineer salary New jersey||$78,131|
|Network engineer salary Massachusetts||$77,194|
|Network engineer salary Texas||$71,731|
|Network engineer salary North Carolina||$71,484|
|Network engineer salary Colorado||$70,451|
|Network engineer salary Georgia||$67,442|
|Network engineer salary Virginia||$64,015|
|Network engineer salary Florida||$64,015|
Meanwhile, the following are the highest paying US Cities for network engineers:
|US Cities||Average Salary|
|Network engineer salary San Francisco, CA||$103,220|
|Network engineer salary Los Angeles, CA||$95,662|
|Network engineer salary Dallas, TX||$87,890|
|Network engineer salary Atlanta, GA||$88,411|
|Network engineer salary Houston, TX||$86,168|
|Network engineer salary Austin, TX||$85,561|
|Network engineer salary Chicago, IL||$84,844|
|Network engineer salary San Diego, CA||$80,696|
|Network engineer salary Seattle, WA||$80,177|
Also read: How to network for a job in 2022?
Top Companies Hiring Network Engineers in US
Also read: How to write a network administrator resume?
Network Engineer Salary by Educational Background
Also read: How to write a good system engineer resume?
Network Engineer Skills for Resume and Raise in Salary
If you want to earn more as a network engineer, whilst living in the same city and working for the same company, you can do so by acquiring new skills and asking for a raise at work.
Also, if you list these top-paying skills in your network engineer resume, employers are more likely to hire you, and you can negotiate a higher pay based on these skills.
Here are some of the specialized skills of a network engineer that can influence your pay scale:
|Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)||MPLS (Multiprotocol Label Switching)|
|Microsoft Access||Programming Languages|
The best way to acquire these specialized skills is by taking data security related certification courses, such as:
- Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNP)
- Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA)
- Citrix Certified Associate - Virtualization (CCA-V)
- Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert (CCIE)
- IT Infrastructure Library (ITIL) Certification
- Wireshark Certified Network Analyst (WCNA)
- VMware Certified Professional 6 – Data Center Virtualization
- Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP)
When you become certified by taking these courses, you can confidently seek promotions and earn more.
Plus, if you are a fresher with no prior experience or a professional who’s considering making a career switch to network engineering, getting certified will boost your chances of getting hired.
Is Network Engineering a Good Career?
If a fulfilling career with financial security and ample career options sounds good to you, a network engineer is a good career.
Since companies from all sectors are moving towards digitalization, cloud computing, and big data, network engineers are growing in demand and they no longer have to confine themselves to the tech industry.
And with about 10 years of experience in the industry, you can easily advance your career to managerial and other senior-level positions that pay extremely well.
In case you are interested in the business side of things, you can get an MBA with the goal of becoming a Management Information Systems director or IT director.
Another option that is open to network engineers is specializing in the field of security by taking up certification courses like CISSP (Certified Information Systems Security Professional) and CEH (Certified Ethical Hacker) to land jobs as network security officers.
Lastly, if you have a lot of experience and an extensive client list as a network engineer, you can work independently and start your own network company.
The career options are plenty with great returns. You can make the best choice for yourself depending on your interest, skills, and qualifications.
Network Engineer Salary FAQs
Do network engineers make good money?
Yes, network engineers make good money as they earn relatively higher than the technology industry average of $94,000.
What is the starting salary for a network engineer?
The entry-level network engineer salary in the US is $54,675 per annum.
What is a Facebook network engineer salary
The average salary of META (formerly known as Facebook) network engineer salary is $144,641 per year.
What is a Verizon network engineer's salary?
Network engineers who work at Verizon make an annual salary of $90,895 per year.
What is the average Cloud network engineer salary?
The median salary of cloud network engineers in the US is $121,141 per year.
What is the network engineer salary in Wipro?
Wipro network engineers make an average salary of $98,167 per annum in the US.
Also read: How to use LinkedIn to find a job in 2022?
- The career trajectory of a network engineer is lucrative , as these professionals earn an average salary of $82,728 per year in the US while network engineer salary per hour averages around $43.02.
- Network engineers set up, maintain, and troubleshoot computer networks within an organization.
- Network engineer salaries are influenced by geographical location, experience level, skillset, company, and education.
- Due to varying costs of living across different US states and cities, the salary of a network engineer also changes based on this factor.
- If you list specialized skills in your network engineer resume, employers are more likely to hire you, and you can negotiate a higher pay based on these skills.
- By getting certified after taking network engineering courses, you can seek promotions and even boost your chances of employment if you are a fresher or making a career switch.