A great engineering internship is the first stepping stone to kickstarting a great career in engineering.
This is why you need to perfect it at all costs.
If you've been wondering how to write a resume for an engineering internship with perfectly optimized sections, read on.
Here's a summary of our Engineering Internship Resume 2020 Blog:
- Type down your contact details correctly. This will facilitate official communication with a recruiter via email and mobile number.
- Incorporate relevant keywords in your resume organically to optimize it for ATS-compliance. This will enhance your shortlist chances.
- Choose the right engineering internship resume format. It will help you endorse those aspects of your career trajectory that you want to draw attention to.
- Write a unique resume for engineering internship for every job application. This will help you write targeted resumes that are tailor-made for each job.
- Write an engineering internship resume objective only if you have less than three years or negligible work experience in engineering.
In this blog, we will show you how to get an engineering internship resume noticed using tries & tested resume tips. That's not all.
We have flooded this blog with a detailed explanation of what to write in each section. And to simplify it, we have given section-wise engineering internship resume examples to illustrate each section.
All of this will help you put together a resume that gets shortlisted. This is the goal of your engineering internship resume.
Go through the resume tips that we have outlined below to learn how to curate a shortlist-worthy engineering internship resume:
- Choose the correct engineering internship resume format
- Use relevant sections to organize information & enhance readability
- Write the header, contact information, and profile title correctly
- Perfect the key sections of your engineering internship resume
- Present your academic details
- Use Hiration's Resume Services
Following the above-mentioned resume tips will help you write an impeccable resume that is optimized for resume shortlists. That's not all.
We have covered these points in great detail in this blog. So read on.
Moving on, here's a list of the topics we will teach you in this blog:
Why do you need an impeccable engineering internship resume?
An engineering internship resume is important because it helps you land your first engineering internship.
And your first engineering internship is important because it can make and break your career. Since it has the potential to convert into a full-time job position, your first internships set the tone for the rest of your engineering career.
Point is, you need to land a great engineering internship at all costs. And to get it, you need an impeccable engineering internship resume.
This means that all sections of your resume should be perfect. This also means that your resume should be ATS-optimized. In other words, it needs to be compatible with the ATS recruitment software so that it reaches a human recruiter.
What this means:
- To land a civil engineering internship, you need an impeccable and ATS-optimized civil engineering internship resume.
- To land a mechanical engineering internship, you need an impeccable and ATS-optimized mechanical engineering internship resume.
- To land a chemical engineering internship, you need an impeccable and ATS-optimized chemical engineering internship resume.
- To land a software engineering internship. you need an impeccable and ATS-optimized software engineering internship resume.
How do you achieve this?
How do you make an ATS-compatible and shortlist-worthy resume for engineering internship?
We will show you how. Let's begin.
But before we do, we will show you what an impeccable engineering internship resume should look like in the first place!
Engineering Internship Resume Sample
A perfect engineering internship resume that follows all the rules of resume writing should look a lot like this:
Template used: Global Citizen Green.
You can modify & edit the content in this engineering internship resume template to suit your professional career trajectory. All you have to do is click on it and you will be redirected to this template on our tool.
OR you can simply sign up for our Online Resume Builder and search for this engineering internship resume template in the search box.
To learn how to get started with our platform, take a look at this video tutorial on getting started with Hiration's Resume Building Tool.
Choose the correct engineering internship resume format
Knowing how to write an engineering internship resume is not enough to get you an interview call from a top organization. Your resume needs to be perfect from top to bottom. Choosing the right resume format for internship engineering can help.
How is it relevant? Here's how:
Choosing the right engineering internship resume format helps you draw attention to the chosen aspects of your professional trajectory.
- If you want to emphasize your skills, you can go for the skill-based functional resume format or the combination resume format. We advise you to use the latter as it is recruiter-friendly and ATS-compatible.
- If you want to divert attention to your career trajectory, you can choose the chronological resume format. This is ideal for Engineering graduates with multiple internship experiences.
Whether you are writing a chemical engineering internship resume, a civil engineering internship resume, a mechanical engineering internship resume, or a software engineering internship resume; choosing the right resume format helps.
All you have to do is pick one engineering internship resume format outlined above based on the aspects you prioritize.
If you are a beginner writing your first engineering student resume for internship, feel free to read our resume guide for beginners titled: How to start a resume.
Now that you know the importance of choosing the right resume format for internship engineering, let's discuss the next aspect of this guide i.e. the importance of using resume sections.
Use relevant sections to organize information & enhance readability
Learning how to create an engineering resume for an internship is easy when you know what resume sections to include in your resume. Why?
Because it helps you organize and effectively present information.
Good presentation automatically leads to good readability which further helps you write an ATS-compatible resume.
And why does readability matter?
Good readability matters because an ATS recruitment software won't parse your resume if it is not even readable in the first place.
So make sure that you organize information under these relevant sections:
- Personal Information
- Profile Title
- Key Skills
- Professional Experience/Internships
- Certifications (if any)
- Awards & Recognition (if any)
If you don't want to get tangled in this fiery mess of making resume sections, use our Online Resume Builder.
It comes with pre-arranged resume sections that are positioned right where it should be. They are also well-spaced, which means you don't have to manually adjust the spacing. In case you want to, our space adjusting feature's got you covered!
What's not to like?
Use our resume building tool now!
Write the header, contact information, and profile title correctly
The header sections of any resume consist of three main parts name:
- Personal Information
- Profile Title
Let's discuss what they are and how you should write them correctly in your engineering internship resume.
The header is nothing but the thing you write at the top part of your resume.
Most professionals tend to write 'resume' or 'CV' right on top. This is where they go wrong. Why? Because it is implicit that your resume is a resume. You don't have to explicitly state it.
Hiration Pro Tip: Instead of writing 'CV' or 'Resume' at the top part of your resume, write your real full name. This tells the recruiter that the resume belongs to you in one go.
Here are some basic resume tips for the resume header:
- Write your real full name that can be verified through official documents like your birth certificate or any government identification such as your tax ID.
- Use a 16-20 font size. The idea is to write it in the largest font size. Doing this reduces the scope of resume misplacement.
- Give a single space between your first name and last name.
- If you have a middle name, write your first name, then initialize the first letter of your middle name, followed by a full stop, followed by your last name.
- Example: If your name is Dean John Winchester, simply write it in your resume header in this fashion: 'Dean J. Winchester'.
To learn more about the importance of resume headers, read our Guide to Writing a Resume Header to learn the art of curating the perfect header for your resume.
Here's an engineering internship resume example showing a perfectly written resume header:
This is a snapshot of an engineering internship resume template that we have made with our Online Resume Builder. To use this template:
After you do this, click on the sample to get redirected to this template on our tool.
The ideal personal information section should consist of 3 main details namely:
- Updated mobile number
- Professional email ID
- Current Location
Including contact-specific information (such as your email ID & mobile number) gives a recruiter the means to get in touch with you.
Using this information, a recruiter can reach you via a formal email or a phone call. As such, you need to be extremely careful while filling these details in your engineering internship resume
Moreover, an indication of your location helps a recruiter reach out to you if you are based in the city of the hiring organization.
Hiration Pro Tip: It helps if the recruiter knows that you have a vibrant digital presence, that you engage with professionals in your industry. As such, we encourage you to give a link to your LinkedIn profile or personal website/portfolio.
For a better understanding of this section, read our Guide to composing the resume contact information to unearth the tricks and trades of this section.
Here's an engineering internship resume example showing the ideal personal information section:
For more engineering internship resume examples like this, read on.
Our next point of discussion is the profile title section.
Hiration Pro Tip: Your profile title should be composed in the second-largest font size after your resume header (preferably 14 points). Doing this helps it stand out and get easily identified.
Simply put, you need to accurately present this section at all costs as it is symbolic of the following information:
- Your current job title or professional status.
- Your functional industry or job niche.
- Your seniority level & earning estimate.
- Your work specialization according to your job title.
If you are writing an engineering internship resume, your profile title can differ based on your specialization (software, mechanical, civil, chemical, etc.).
Let's say you are an engineering undergraduate looking for your first internship experience.
In this case, you can write your profile title in the below format:
- Software Engineering Undergraduate
- Mechanical Engineering Undergraduate
- Civil Engineering Undergraduate
- Chemical Engineering Undergraduate
Here's an engineering internship resume example showcasing the profile title of a Software Engineering Undergraduate:
If you have an existing engineering student resume for internship that you want to get reviewed, look no further.
Our Resume Strategists are here to help!
Perfect the key sections of your engineering internship resume
There are three key sections in your engineering student resume for internship. You should perfect them at all costs.
- Internship Section
- Key Skills Section
- Summary/Objective Section
We are going with the assumption that you are an engineering undergraduate with internship experience.
As the internship section is one of the most important sections in your engineering student resume for internship, it needs to be perfect at all costs.
Perfecting this section will help you land better internships and make you a more attractive candidate for a job when you finally graduate.
Here's what you can do to perfect this section:
- Use one-liner points
- Use power verbs
- Use achievement figures
- Use resume keywords
- Use bucketing & bolding
Use one-liner points to communicate your internship details
Many professionals make the common mistake of using big length paragraphs to communicate their work/internship details.
This is a resume blunder you should strictly avoid.
Because paragraphs are hard to read. When they are hard to read, it discourages the reader from reading it in its totality.
In this scenario, a recruiter is the one reading your resume.
If you use big paragraphs with no sentence breaks, your internship application is destined for doom.
Thus, we advise you to use one-liner points instead.
Crisp one-line communication of your internship experience helps you present it more easily. Moreover, points are easy to read and easier to comprehend.
They score high on the readability test.
Reader-friendly resumes have a higher chance of getting parsed by the ATS recruitment software. Your engineering internship resume won't get shortlisted if it does not even get parsed by the ATS as it won't reach a human recruiter.
Thus, we advise you to use crisp points instead of bulky paragraphs to communicate your internship details.
Begin each point with a power verb
Now that you know the importance of one-liner points, let us now discuss how you can give it a professional touch.
We recommend the use of power verbs. Use them to begin each point.
What are power verbs and why are they important?
Simply put, power verbs or resume action words are action-packed words. They help you give a professional tone to your resume.
They are professional words that you can use as a replacement for normal words that fail to make an impact.
Here are some examples of power verbs that you can use in your engineering student resume for internship:
Prove your expertise by using achievement figures
No recruiter wants to know that you did an internship. It's a given.
They also don't want to hear a boring account of your day to day roles & responsibilities. Why? Because it is likely to be the same for every other tom, dick, and harry with the same internship experience as you.
What we are trying to say here is this:
Instead of giving a bland testimonial of your internship responsibilities, they want to know your expertise. They want to know how the work you have done added value to the organization.
Your job here is to prove your expertise.
We advise you to use achievement figures/numbers to prove the value of your work contribution.
If you have always been wondering how to get an engineering internship resume noticed, this is it. Talking about your achievements and backing them with numbers can help you get on the cover page of a recruiter's filtered list of resumes.
Include relevant keywords from the JD of your target job/internship
The internship or job that you are targeting will always have a list of criteria that the ideal candidate would be expected to be equipped with.
Mainly, there are three types of keywords you will find in the JD of your target internship job posting:
- Education criteria i.e. education-based keywords
- Skill criteria i.e. skill-based keywords
Of relevance to this section id the skill-based keywords.
You need to identify them and incorporate those skill-based keywords into your resume that matches your own skill sets.
Including them into this section in an objective way will help you rank high by the ATS. Why? Because these recruitment bots are designed to look for these resume keywords in your engineering internship resume.
Perfect this section by using bucketing & bolding
Bucketing is the practice of clubbing similar points together under unique headings All you have to do is segregate matching points under one bucket and give it a suitable heading.
Doing this tells a recruiter your key expertise area in one go.
They can quickly identify it as all they have to do is read the bucket header to know your key expertise & skillset.
Bolding is the practice of highlighting words or phrases in bold. All you have to do is mark those words or phrases that stand out in importance. From a career highlight to the results of your professional contribution - it can be anything.
When you identify them and mark them in bold, it helps you divert the recruiter's interest in your key achievements in each point.
The best part?
They don't even have to read the whole sentence! All they have to do is read the highlighted words/phrases. And boom!
You have succeeded at keeping the recruiters hooked!
Engineering Internship Resume Sample for Internship Section
Once you successfully implement the five resume tips that we have highlighted above, you will be left with an impeccable internship section that can wow any recruiter reading it.
Learning how to get an engineering internship resume noticed is not easy, but implementing the above-mentioned tips makes it 3x easier.
Here's an engineering internship resume example showcasing the perfect internship experience section for your resume:
Have you been framing this section the right way?
Does it need some tweaking?
What can you do to improve it?
Find out the answers to all this and more with expert advice from our Resume Strategists @hiration.
Avail our Resume Review Service now!
Now that we have discussed the first key section i.e. the internship section, let us now move on to the next i.e. the skills section.
The skills section of your engineering student resume for internship is just as important, if not more.
As an Engineering Undergraduate, you might or might not have any working exposure in a professional set up. But what you will have is your skills.
Formal education and practical implementation of the knowledge imparted to you help you develop skill sets. The projects that were assigned to you as part of your coursework helps you build up your skills.
It is these skills that matter the most to an employer.
That's what they look for in your engineering resume.
So make sure that you make a distinct 'key skills' section to present all your engineering skills in one place. Distinguish your technical skills from your core skills by making a 'technical skills' sub-section within this section.
This section is perfect!
To learn more about this section, read our Guide on what skills to put on a resume.
Here's an engineering internship resume example showcasing the perfect key skills section. It illustrated what your resume skills should look like when composed in this section.
This is a snapshot of the key skills section of an engineering internship resume template that we have perfected using our Online Resume Builder.
It is available for use & download in our resume tool for everyone who signs up for it. If this is of interest to you, get your hands on it now!
The objective section is the third and final key section of your engineering internship resume.
You should write an engineering internship resume objective if:
- You are an engineering undergraduate
- You have zero to less than 3 years work experience
- You are hoping to land an engineering internship
You most definitely fall into the above-mentioned groups, so let us now discuss how to perfect the engineering internship resume objective:
- Highlight engineering relevant achievements.
- Keep it strictly limited to a 3-5 lines paragraph.
- Write it at the end after concluding all other sections.
- Focus on the value you can bring to their organization.
- Do not mention a list of what the organization can do for you.
- Example: Don't talk about how the organization can bolster your career.
Read our resume objectives blog to learn what you can do to make an effective objective for engineering internship resume.
Here's an engineering internship resume example showcasing the ideal objecitve for your engineering student resume for internship:
In the meanwhile, get a second opinion on your engineering internship resume!
Avail our Resume Review Service now!
Present your academic details
When you're on the lookout for engineering internships, you should present your academic details by default.
If you have relevant certifications that can give you an advantage, write them down in your engineering student resume for internship.
The university you went to and the courses you have done can help you bolster your application. Especially if you are from an ivy school.
Hiration Pro Tip: Leave out the details of your GPA if you have not performed exceedingly well.
Here's a list of what to include in the education section:
- University name.
- Name of the course pursued.
- University location.
- Enrolment & graduation dates.
Get a more in-depth explanation of this section on our Guide to resume education section.
Here's a engineering internship resume sample illustrating an ideal education section:
This is a snapshot of the education section of an existing engineering internship resume template on our Resume Builder.
Sign up to use this template and get AI-powered reviews!
Use Hiration's Resume Services
At Hiration, we offer the best resume help for you in the form of:
- Resume Review Service
- Online Resume Builder
Resume Review Service
Expert advice from Industry experts might just be the magic glue you need to put together an effective engineering internship resume.
Learn how to improve your resume via our one-to-one resume reviewing. With us, your resume will be reviewed in compliance with the below-mentioned parameters:
- Content Relevance
- Recruiter Friendliness
- Design Compatibility
- Conversion Scope
- ATS Compliance
- Global Compatibility
- Performance Assessment
- Compliance with industry norms
- Resume Formatting (font, margins, the order of sections, etc.)
You will get 2 resume templates for free with our Resume Review Service!!
Online Resume Builder
Now that you know how to write an engineering internship resume from scratch, will it write it yourself? or do need help?
If you're looking for a resume builder that can help you write an impeccable engineering internship resume, we recommend Hiration's Online Resume Builder.
This is the best that there is and comes with the below-mentioned features:
- 25+ resume designs
- LIVE resume score
- JD-resume matcher
- Full rich-text editor
- Unlimited PDF downloads
- 100+ pre-filled resume templates
- 1-click design change
- A sharable link
- Auto bold feature
- Option to save unlimited resumes
- Intuitive next text suggestion
Here are the key takeaways of our Engineering Internship Resume 2020 Blog:
- Use resume sections. It enhances readability.
- Use the engineering internship resume format that is most ideal for you. As you don't have relevant work experience yet, we advise you to go with the combination resume format.
- Keep your objective for engineering internship resume short, crisp, and effective, Highlight your engineering-specific achievements & expertise.
- As a rule of thumb, always write your real full name at the top of your engineering internship resume to avoid resume misplacement.
- Write your profile title in this fashion: Write 'Software Engineering Undergraduate' if you have not graduated. Write 'Software Engineering Graduate' if you have graduated.
- Make a distinct 'key skills' section to endorse your engineering skills.
- Perfect the internship section at all costs.
- Use one-liner points to communicate your internship details.
- Begin each one-liner point with a power verb.
- Use numbers or achievement figures to prove the value of your contributions.
- Use keywords that match your actual skillsets/expertise. In other words, use only those keywords that you can justify using to a recruiter.
- Always include the education section in your engineering internship resume.
With this, you have reached the end of this blog.
To learn how to create an engineering resume for an internship, all you have to do is read this blog with devotion.
Implement the resume tips we have outlined in this blog to write an impeccable engineering internship resume.
You can also write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org to resolve any queries or questions.