What does a bar manager’s job description include?
To put it straight out on the table, the role of a bar manager comes with tons of responsibilities, and to execute these duties efficiently, aspiring candidates need to possess a combination of key skills and soft skills.
From the drinks menu to the ambiance, decor, music, the type of experience and service you get when you walk into a bar is curated by bar managers.
They not only ensure a smooth workflow at the bar but also try to give customers a one-of-a-kind experience, compelling them to come back over and over again.
An ideal bar manager maximizes the profit of the bar, helps grow the business and maintains a strong customer base by providing the best service and ambiance.
If you have prior experience working at a bar and are deliberating if your skillset matches the job description of a bar manager, read on.
You will get clarity on the following FAQs about bar management and bar manager job description:
- What are the duties and responsibilities of a bar manager?
- What are some bar manager skills for resume?
- What does a typical bar manager job description sample include?
Bar Manager Duties and Responsibilities
When you write your bar manager resume, be sure that the skills you list in your resume are the exact set of skills that are required to execute the various duties and responsibilities of a bar manager.
To get a general idea of the tasks they are responsible for, take a look at the following bar manager duties:
- Prepare monthly budgets and maintain an accurate track record of the same
- Oversee the inventory and supply of liquor, sodas, and other necessary items
- Create feasible work schedules for bar tenders and other staff members to ensure there is no shortage of staff during peak hours
- Formulate and constantly update the food and drinks menu according to customer feedback
- Ensure cleanliness of the bar, working stations, and the restrooms
- Strategize marketing plans to increase sales and boost revenue to facilitate the overall growth of the business
- Oversee event plans and come up with happy hours ideas and other seasonal offers
- Supervise the entire hiring, training, and onboarding process of new recruits
- Document drink recipes for future reference and training
- Choose tasteful playlists and arrange live band performances during the weekends to create a pleasant ambiance
- Coordinate with vendors, suppliers, and other management staff to ensure smooth operations
- Ensure compliance with the local and state regulations for bars and restaurants
- Keep the bar license and the liquor license up-to-date at all times
- Suggest and make occasional decor updates to maintain the standard of the bar’s ambiance
- Use POS systems and other accounting tools to streamline sales and accounting procedures
- Make adjustments in the work schedules according to the business demands and leave requests
- Implement customer feedback to improve service and the food & drink menu
- Efficiently diffuse tense situations and resolve customer complaints according to the company guidelines
- Take part in marketing and promotional activities whilst maintaining an online presence of the business
- Ensure accurate cash management and review any discrepancies
- Keep bar owners updated at all times and schedule regular meetings
Bar Manager Skills for Resume
To get shortlisted for interviews, your bar manager's resume needs to showcase skills that are indispensable for executing the variety of duties they are responsible for.
Your resume skills have to match the job description of the particular job you are applying for.
Meanwhile, here are some of the general bar management skills that you can list in your resume:
|Menu Planning||Hygiene & Health Code Compliance|
|Inventory Management||Bar Operations|
|Hospitality & Customer Service||Time Management|
|Payroll Management||Restaurant Management|
Apart from these key skills, you need to be familiar with at least one accounting software, along with competence at using the POS system.
Also, bar owners look for managers who have soft skills like:
- Multitasking skills
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Attention to details
- Leadership and organizational skills
Bar Manager Job Description Template
Now that you have a proper understanding of the duties, and skills of a bar manager, take a look at a typical bar manager job description sample that employers provide in their job listing.
And the reason why you need to review a job description sample when you apply for bar manager jobs is that your resume needs to be customized according to the specific job listing you’re applying to.
That way you can boost your chances of getting shortlisted for the position.
Here’s the bar manager job description template:
Looking for a dedicated and proactive bar manager to join our restaurant’s management team, who can provide excellent customer service and boost our sales in the long term. The bar manager must be great at dealing with people, solving problems and must enjoy working in a fast-paced environment. Apart from managing the inventory and employee schedules, the bar manager needs to have a bird’ eye view on growing and developing the overall business. Additionally, the candidate needs to have good communication and strong interpersonal skills.
BAR MANAGER DUTIES
- Managing and maintaining proper inventory of liquor and other supplies
- Hiring, training, and onboarding new employees
- Managing the schedule of the staff members whilst considering their leave requests
- Keeping an accurate track of profit, expenses, and overall budget
- Dispensing biweekly payments for employees and their overtime wages
- Providing excellent customer service by ensuring the safety and comfort of the customers
- Curating drink menu and allotting suitable price range for the same
- Ensuring all the licenses are up to date and compliant with the local and state regulations
- Maintaining a safe, pleasant, and enjoyable atmosphere for the customers
- Ensuring the cleanliness of the bar and the working areas
BAR MANAGER SKILLS AND REQUIREMENTS
- 7+ years of experience in the hospitality or customer service industry
- Competence in using the Point-of-Sale system (POS)
- Familiarity with using Quickbooks or any other accounting tools and software
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills with an ability to defuse tense situations
- Comfortable with working on night shifts, holidays, etc on a flexible schedule
- Minimum educational background of high school diploma
Key Points from the Blog
- Bar managers not only ensure a smooth workflow at the bar but also try to give customers a one-of-a-kind experience, compelling them to come back over and over again.
- An ideal bar manager maximizes the profit of the bar, helps grow the business, and maintains a strong customer base by providing the best service and ambiance.
- If you want to boost your chances of getting shortlisted, your bar manager resume needs to be customized according to the job description provided in the job listing.
- To become a bar manager, you must possess prior work experience in the service industry.
- Menu planning, inventory management, and budgeting are some of the must-have bar manager skills.
- Apart from the key skills, bar managers need to have exceptional interpersonal, communication, and customer service skills.
You can also write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you need further assistance.