How do you describe teamwork on a resume?
Showcasing teamwork on a resume can without a doubt, elevate your resume and increase your chances of getting hired.
With a few exceptions, almost all kinds of job profiles and industries require teamwork.
If you are someone who thrives in a collaborative environment, your resume needs to showcase the same and justify it effectively.
However, simply listing teamwork under the skills section in your resume is not enough.
You must showcase your teamwork skills by describing experiences where you’ve used your collaborative skills to complete a task and achieve great results.
Read on to learn more about teamwork on resume and related FAQs like the following:
- What are teamwork skills and why are they important?
- What is a team player resume and when do you need one?
- How to put teamwork on a resume?
- What are some examples of teamwork resume bullets?
- What are some examples of teamwork skills?
- What are the 7 essential skills for teamwork?
Teamwork Skills and Its Importance
Team working skill is a type of soft skill that can be applied to any kind of work.
The ability to work well with others and collaborate effectively to achieve a common goal can be termed teamwork skills.
A candidate who has good teamwork skills puts the goal of the team over their personal interests and facilitates a collaborative workspace.
Recruiters consider candidates with good teamwork skills an asset because they help foster innovation, better solutions, and higher productivity.
Here are some other reasons why employers value teamwork skills:
- Supports a healthy work environment
- Increases work efficiency
- Offers learning opportunities
- Increases accountability
- Facilitates the overall growth of the company
Also read: What are the most essential soft skills required to advance in your career?
What Is a Team Player Resume and When Do You Need One?
A team player resume is an approach to building a resume that highlights your teamwork skills.
This type of resume is generally built by candidates who want to apply for roles that require teamwork, leadership, and collaboration.
The best way to know whether or not you must focus on showcasing your teamwork skills on your resume is by analyzing the job description provided in the listing you're applying to.
If the job description prioritizes teamwork, you can highlight the same in your resume and increase your chances of getting shortlisted.
Also read: What are the top interpersonal skills you must have in 2022?
How to Talk About Teamwork on a Resume
To increase your chances of getting shortlisted for your desired roles, you need to effectively showcase your team working skills on your resume.
Given below are some tips to help you describe good teamwork on a resume:
Highlight Teamwork in Your Summary
As stated earlier, blatantly listing teamwork in your resume will not do you any good.
You need to rather subtly sprinkle instances that illustrate your teamwork skills on resume.
The first resume section where you can describe your team working skills is the summary section.
Doing so will help you grab the recruiters' attention immediately and provide an effective introduction.
Take a look at the following examples of teamwork skills that can be added to resume summaries:
- Adept at collaborating with cross-department teams to foster partnerships and devise product ideas.
- Proficient in organizing company events and activities by coordinating with staff members and vendors
Also read: How to write an impressive resume summary?
Another great way to exemplify your teamwork skills on resume is through your professional experience.
When listing the work that you did in your past roles, provide examples where you used your teamwork skills to achieve a goal.
You don’t necessarily have to use the word ‘teamwork’ in your sentences. You can rather begin your sentences with power verbs that are synonymous with teamwork.
Given below are some examples of teamwork resume bullets that you can use in the professional experience section:
- Provided technical oversight while working with a team of 6+ developers to conduct architecture and code reviews
- Coordinated with 5+ sales representatives to meet the weekly sales quota for the product department
- Communicated effectively with 10+ accountants to discuss resource allocation and delegate tasks among team members
- Communicated with stakeholders and translated their needs to technical requirements for providing effective solutions
- Communicated with project managers and brainstormed recommendations to increase efficiency by 43%
- Collaborated with a data engineering team of 5 to create 10+ useful plugins for improving user experience by 22%
Include Teamwork in Your Skills
And lastly, the simplest way to describe your ability to work well with others in your team player resume is by listing teamwork under the skills section.
Refer to the below-given table to see some teamwork skills examples:
|Conflict management||Creative thinking|
|Critical thinking||Decision making|
|Interpersonal skills||Language skills|
Also read: How to list soft skills on a resume in 2022?
7 Essential Skills for Teamwork
Teamwork skill is not a standalone skill that can be acquired or honed independently.
Meaning that if you want to build teamwork skills to showcase the same on your resume, you must work on other skills that will support your collaborative ability.
Listed below are 7 essential skills that will support your team working skills:
Having good communication skills is extremely important if you want to be a team player.
The ability to convey information and express ideas clearly among team members is crucial for achieving set goals.
When you are working in a team, minor misunderstandings and conflicts are bound to happen.
Thus, the ability to mediate conflicts and reduce workplace tension is important in building your teamwork skills.
In a team, every member is allotted a set of tasks that support the bigger goal or the project.
And when one of the team members fails to do their part, it hampers the entire team.
Therefore, reliability and accountability are essential teamwork skills.
Organizational skills are vital for teamwork because, without a proper structure and order, it would be impossible for teams to reach a common goal within the stipulated time frame.
If you have good organizational skills, you can support your team by creating a work structure, planning, delegating tasks, and streamlining workflow.
Active Listening Skills
Possessing active listening skills is an essential part of being a good team player.
If you are not able to grasp important information or understand the allotted tasks with clarity, you can bring down the entire team.
Because to achieve a common goal as a team, every team member needs to understand the pit instructions clearly and cooperate as a unit.
Thus, the importance of active listening skills to build team working skills.
Also read: What skills to put on your resume in 2022?
Key Points from the Blog
- Showcase your teamwork skills by describing experiences where you’ve used your collaborative skills to complete a task and achieve great results.
- Recruiters consider candidates with good teamwork skills an asset because they help foster innovation, better solutions, and higher productivity.
- Highlight your team working skills in your resume summary to grab the recruiters' attention.
- When listing the work that you did in your past roles, provide examples where you used your teamwork skills to achieve a goal.
- Good communication, active listening skills, and reliability are essential to becoming a great team player.
Visit Hiration’s Career Activator Platform with 24X7 chat support to get expert guidance on your career-related queries and write to us at email@example.com.