Is Facebook internship hard to get?
It’s no secret that the 12-week Meta or Facebook internships are among one of the esteemed internships that pay extremely well and therefore, are quite difficult to land.
Facebook software engineer internship is more difficult to bag than internships at Microsoft, Google, or Apple.
The competition is intense but the perks that come with it and the valuable work experience you will gain make it worth the fight.
And not to mention the possibility of being offered a full-time position at the end of the internship, which is the crowning glory.
Generally, the hiring process for Facebook internships involves two rounds of interviews. The initial round is conducted virtually or over the phone, that lasts for around 30-35 minutes.
While the second round is a more comprehensive in-person interview that will last up to 45 minutes or an hour.
Read on to learn more about Facebook internships and related FAQs like the following:
- What makes Facebook internships so special?
- What does the Facebook internship interview process include?
- How to land Meta internships?
- What are some of the Facebook internship roles that you can apply to?
- What are some of the common Facebook internship interview questions?
Why Get a Facebook Internship?
Facebook is a leading social networking platform with 2.8 billion active users and 50k+ employees.
And without a doubt, working for this tech giant comes with a lot of benefits, including a rewarding paycheck. Simply having this work experience under your belt can help you kickstart a fulfilling career soon after graduation.
In 2021, Meta or Facebook ranked 11th on the list of Glassdoor’s best places to work and this tech giant boasts the second-highest rate of employee turnover in Silicon Valley.
Besides these impressive statistics, Facebook internships come with the following perks:
- If you are working at the Menlo Park campus, Facebook reimburses your round-trip air ticket and other transportation expenditures (within the United States) including transit cards worth $300, 250 Lyft credits, etc.
- Interns are offered housing facilities near the campus or cash subsidies to find their own accommodation.
- Interns get 3 complimentary meals every day at work with 24x7 open pantries.
- Within the Facebook campus, interns can opt for free gym memberships and during the weekends, there are plenty of social activities and events in which interns are encouraged to participate.
Also read: How to write a compelling cover letter for internship roles in 2022?
Facebook Summer Internship Interview Process
Depending on your background, you can opt for different internship roles like Facebook software engineer internship, Facebook data science internship, etc.
However, irrespective of the department, the Facebook internship interview process usually remains the same.
Every year, 1k+ interns are hired by Facebook and your location can vary between Seattle, New York, and San Francisco.
Facebook internships are primarily divided into 4 segments:
- Orientation invloving the onboarding process, introduction, and campus familiarization, including a boot camp of 2 days.
- Projects plans that will be drafted for you by your mentor. While some interns get a single large-scale project to work on during the whole internship, others will be tasked with 3-4 small projects.
- Midterm review will require you to write a self-review, a review of your team members and the manager.
- In the final calibration phase, you and your work will get reviewed by your manager, who will have the last say on whether or not you will be offered a full-time job offer.
Also read: How to use the STAR method to answer interview questions in 2022?
How to Land Facebook Internships?
Given below are some tips that you can follow to land Facebook internships:
Keep an Eye Out for Campus Recruitment Events
Studies show that 40% of interns who get shortlisted for Facebook internships fill in their applications at a campus event.
It is one of the best ways to connect with recruiters in person before you even get shortlisted for interviews. A golden chance that other candidates who apply through listings are not likely to get.
When you show up at campus recruitment events, ensure that you come prepared and put your best foot forward.
Remember to carry a copy of your resume and other documents that you might need.
Network for Referrals
If you know someone who works for Facebook, reach out to them and see if they can get you a referral.
Other ways you can find referrals are by getting in touch with your college alumni, asking your college professors if they know anyone, and by joining LinkedIn groups that are relevant to your industry.
Data shows that 20% of candidates apply for Facebook internships through a personal referral.
Choose the Right Role
Facebook internships can be broadly divided into technical and non-technical roles. You can find all the internship vacancies right on one of Meta’s career pages.
So, before you send out your application, ensure that you meet all the eligibility criteria for the role you’re applying for.
Assess your personal interest, college major, and skills, and choose the right role to increase your chances of getting shortlisted.
The following are some of the Facebook internship roles you can choose:
|AI Research Intern||Fleet Management & Energy Optimisation Intern|
|Wireless Communication Systems Engineering Intern||HR Intern|
|Research Scientist, News Feed, Ph.D. Intern||Critical Facility Engineering Intern|
|Product Design Intern||Sound Design Intern|
|People Research Scientist, Ph.D. Intern||Hardware Analytics Intern|
|Performance & Capacity Engineer Intern||Performance & Capacity Engineer Research Intern|
|Research Intern||Machine Learning Research Intern|
|Psychophysics Research Intern||Software Engineering Research Intern|
|Audio Research Intern||Cognitive Neuroscience Security Analyst Intern|
|Software Engineer & WhatsApp Intern||Core Data Science, Ph.D. Intern|
Upgrade Your Resume
Once you are clear about which internship role you’ll be applying for, you must tailor your resume according to the job description provided in the listing.
Make sure that your resume is ATS-friendly by including plenty of keywords from the listing, quantifying all your academic achievements, and writing a compelling objective statement that tells the recruiters how you can benefit the company.
This will help you significantly increase your chances of getting an interview call back.
Also read: How to build an impressive internship resume in 2022?
Prepare Well for the Interview
After your resume gets shortlisted, begin your interview preparation in full swing. As stated earlier, the competition is tough, and being average will not cut it.
You must analyze the job description thoroughly to probe the type of questions the recruiters are likely to ask based on the requirements.
Find the common Facebook internship interview questions for your role and practice answering them.
Additionally, make sure to research the company well and apprise yourself of its vision, work culture, and other details.
Also read: How to ace your first job interview in 2022?
Common Facebook Internship Interview Questions
Given below are some of the general Facebook internship interview questions that you can practice:
- What do you do to stay motivated?
- Why do you want to work for Facebook?
- What makes you different from the other applicants?
- If you had a chance to ask Mark Zuckerberg anything, what would you ask?
- What are your strengths and weaknesses?
- Tell me about a time you had to overcome a challenging situation.
Also read: What are some of the most common interview questions for internship roles?
Key Points from the Blog
- Facebook internships are one of the most esteemed and high-paying internships that can be equally difficult to land.
- They come with perks such as free travel expenses to reach the campus, housing facilities, free meals, and gym memberships.
- Facebook internships are primarily divided into 4 segments - orientation, project plans, midterm review, and calibration.
- Campus recruitment events are one of the best ways to apply for Facebook internships and meet the recruiters in person before the interview.
- Assess your personal interests, college major, and skills to choose the right Facebook internship role and increase your chances of getting shortlisted.
- Networking for referrals, tailoring your resume according to the job description, and preparing well for the interviews are some ways you can increase your chances of landing Facebook internships.
Should you require expert assistance to land Facebook internships, visit Hiration’s Carrer Activator Platform which offers 24x7 chat support and AI-powered tools. You can also write to us at email@example.com.