How to make a resume for a B.Com fresher?
In the current job market with ever-growing competition, having a compelling resume is indispensable for freshers looking to secure a job and it’s no exception for freshers with a Bachelor’s degree in Commerce.
But crafting a resume that adequately highlights your strengths and knowledge can get confusing because a resume is not just a summary of your educational qualifications and skills.
It is in fact your first and only chance to make a lasting impression on recruiters to get shortlisted for interviews.
According to surveys, recruiters only spend about 6 seconds reviewing a single resume to decide its suitability for the role. This means that as a B.Com fresher, you just have a few seconds to prove your potential to employers.
All the more reason to put in the extra effort while building your B.Com resume.
So, continue reading to get insightful tips that adhere to the industry’s best practices for making a B.Com resume that will land you your first job.
- What is the best B.Com resume format?
- How do I write a resume for a commerce student?
- What are some must-include skills for a B.Com fresher resume?
- How to create an impressive B.Com fresher resume education section?
B.Com Graduate Fresher Resume Format
A resume format refers to the way a resume is sectioned and organized. It also refers to the order of sections and information presented in a resume, which can determine which details are highlighted the most.
There are 3 types of resume formats that can be used by B.Com freshers while making their resumes. They are:
Reverse Chronological Format
The reverse chronological format is the most preferred and widely used format that showcases a candidate’s most recent qualifications and experiences, followed by the older ones.
A resume following this format generally includes sections like header, contact information, summary/objective, skills, professional experience, internship experience, education, and certifications.
Functional Resume Format
A functional resume format highlights a candidate’s skills over their experiences.
Instead of a section like professional or internship experience, resumes following this format include a section titled ‘summary of skills’ wherein the skills of the candidate are exemplified.
Combination Resume Format
As the name suggests, this resume format incorporates elements of both functional and reverse chronological resume formats.
This means that if you create a B.Com fresher resume following this format, you need to create sections for both summaries of skills and internship experience.
Also Read: What is the best resume format for freshers in 2023?
B.Com Fresher Resume Writing Tips
To streamline the entire process of creating a stellar B.Com fresher resume for you, here are some useful tips you can follow:
Grab the Recruiters’ Attention Right Off the Bat with an Impressive Objective Section
One of the first things that recruiters will read in your B.Com fresher resume is your objective section as it is placed at the top of a resume.
Thus, you need to make the best out of it by highlighting some of your most notable academic accomplishments, certifications, skills, and knowledge in 2 to 3 sentences.
You can also highlight any academic awards and honors that you may have received for excellent performance in academics.
Also, don’t forget to express your enthusiasm to leverage your skills and knowledge to benefit the company in a concrete, real manner.
Also Read: How to write a winning resume objective as a fresher in 2023?
Go Beyond Soft Skills
When listing skills in your B.Com fresher resume, don’t just limit them to communication, time management, analytical skills, etc.
To create a more impactful skills section, identify and list skills that show your expertise and knowledge.
Given below are some of the in-demand skills for B.Com freshers that you can list in your resume if you possess them:
|Financial analysis & reporting||Accounting|
|Business communication||Taxation laws & regulations|
|Data analysis & interpretation||Budgeting|
|Project management||Market research & analysis|
|Bookkeeping||SAP & Tally|
Tailor Your B.Com Fresher Resume for a Specific Job Listing
To significantly increase your chances of getting shortlisted for jobs, you need to curate your B.Com resume as per the requirements of a specific listing.
To do so, you must analyze the job description and identify the key requirements of the role and showcase skills & knowledge that exemplify your potential to meet them.
And if you don’t want to do this manually, you can use Hiration’s ChatGPT powered resume builder that offers a job match feature wherein you can copy-paste the job description of the role you’re targeting and have your resume assessed for skill gaps.
Format Your B.Com Fresher Resume the Correct Way
To enhance the readability of your B.Com fresher resume, you must follow the following pointers and give it a professional look:
- Create distinctly titled sections in your B.Com resume to showcase your career trajectory
- Use your full name as the header for your B.Com fresher resume in 14 to 16 points font size
- Use bullet points to describe volunteer or internship experiences you may have. You can also use bullet points in your skills and education sections
- Avoid using fonts with fancy characters as it can hamper your resume’s ATS readability
- Leave ample space between resume sections to avoid a cramped look
- To make your B.Com resume ATS friendly, use keywords across your resume and avoid using graphs, illustrations, or charts
Include Details of the Course Modules in the Education Section
To emphasize your industry knowledge, you must list key course modules that were a part of your syllabus under the education section of your B.Com fresher resume.
Apart from this, you must clearly list the name of the degree you completed, the name of the university, commencement & completion dates, location, and GPA if it is higher than 4.0.
You can also include details of your academic achievements like Dean’s list, scholarships, study abroad experience, etc. in this section to make it more impressive.
Here’s a sample of what an ideal education section looks like for recent graduates:
Also Read: What are some of the best work-from-home jobs for freshers in 2023?
Key Points from the Blog
- Use the reverse chronological resume format to create your B.Com fresher resume as it is recognized by most recruiters and also supports the ATS-friendliness of your resume.
- Your B.Com fresher resume objective must highlight your most notable academic accomplishments, certifications, skills, and knowledge in 2 to 3 sentences.
- To significantly increase your chances of getting shortlisted for jobs, curate your B.Com resume as per the requirements of a specific listing.
- To emphasize your industry knowledge, you must list key course modules that were a part of your syllabus under the education section of your B.Com fresher resume.
- Use bullets points, action verbs, and keywords in your B.Com resume to make it more impactful.
- Include details of your academic achievements like Dean’s list, scholarships, study abroad experience, etc. in the education section to make it more impressive.
Want to create a brilliant B.Com fresher resume within minutes? Use Hiration’s ChatGPT-powered resume builder with 24x7 chat support and if you have any other queries, you can write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.