What are some top interview questions for Scrum Masters?
According to reports, 66% of Agile methodology uses Scrum, making it immensely popular. Consequently, a Scrum Master is in high demand and earns a handsome remuneration.
But what kind of questions can be expected to land a Scrum Master job?
A Scrum Master is responsible for managing the team as per the Scrum framework. In other words, a Scrum Master is the one who helps everyone understand Scrum in theory as well as practice.
If you want to become a Scrum Master in 2022 and looking for interview questions that can ease your selection process, you have landed at the right place.
Here, we will discuss the most frequently asked questions related to Scrum Master interview questions.
- What are some common Scrum Master interview questions and answers?
- What are popular entry-level Scrum questions?
- What are some mid-level interview questions for Scrum Master?
- What kind of Scrum questions can you expect for senior-level?
- What are some Scrum Master situational interview questions?
- Are there any Scrum Master behavioral interview questions?
- What are the Scrum Master technical interview questions?
What Are Some Common Scrum Master Interview Questions and Answers?
You must have a general idea of what can be asked by the interviewer to crack any interview in 2022. Similar goes for the Scrum Master profile.
Our Scrum Master interview questions are designed to assess your knowledge of the framework and your awareness of the roles and responsibilities that you will be performing as a Scrum Master.
Let us first look at some common Scrum Master interview questions and answers.
What is Scrum?
Interviewers will ask this question to make you feel comfortable and confident. You can quickly answer this question with confidence and panache but do not forget to stick to the point.
"Scrum is an Agile framework that helps to develop products. It is not just a framework or methodology but a philosophy. It allows the teams to learn from their mistakes, self-organize, reflect, and improve."
What is Agile? Can you explain Agile in your own words?
The question can be confusing as a concrete definition of Agile is never agreed upon. But fret not, we have some ideas about how to frame the answer to this question.
"Agile refers to methods and practices based on values and principles that encourage iterative development and collaboration between self-organization teams. In other words, it focuses upon process adaptability and customer satisfaction by rapid delivery of working software products."
What are the roles in Scrum?
To answer this question, stick to the significant three roles known in the Scrum world. You can frame an answer in the following manner.
"There are three major roles in Scrum: Product Owner, Scrum Master, and Scrum team.
A product owner is responsible for increasing ROI by identifying product features and prioritizing them.
A Scrum Master takes the leadership role and ensures that Scrum is opted by the team members.
The Scrum team takes care of stakeholders' requirements."
What are some major principles of Agile?
Some important principles of Agile are:
- Customer satisfaction
- Face to face communication
- Continuous feedback
- Quick response to changes
- Sustainable development
- Collective work
Do you think the Scrum framework is better than a traditional waterfall? If so, how?
This question will primarily test your knowledge of Scrum and previous frameworks like Waterfall.
"Scrum is a framework that implements agile mindsets, values, and principles. Due to early feedback, Scrum offers the flexibility to make desired changes. In Scrum, feedback is received earlier, while in Waterfall, feedback comes into play in the later stages. Waterfall could be a good choice for a defined process, but Scrum is safer to avoid risk and uncertainty."
What is a Scrum sprint? What is an ideal duration of a sprint?
This type of question is commonly observed in Scrum Master interviews. To answer this, you can say
"A sprint is a repeated regular cycle of work in Scrum methodology. Within a sprint, whatever has been planned to achieve is reviewed. The duration of the sprint largely depends upon the size of the project and the team working on it. On average, the duration of a sprint falls into the range of 2-4 weeks."
That is not the end of it, but rather the beginning. There can be a lot of questions depending upon your responses and the interviewers’ perspective.
Some other interview questions for Scrum are listed below:
- What is Scrum-ban?
- What is sprint 0 and spike?
- What is user story mapping?
- What are some limitations of using Scrum?
- How can a Scrum Master coordinate between several teams?
- What are Scrum values?
What Are Popular Entry-level Scrum Questions?
An entry-level person might come with little experience. The questions asked from them would be testing their approach to Scrum-based questions. More than the person's knowledge, it would be checking the methodology.
- How do you assist team members in compelling stories?
- When should a Scrum Master not act as a facilitator?
- As a Scrum Master, how will you track sprint progress?
- What is the objective of the user story in Scrum?
- As a Scrum Master, how will you help product owners?
- What techniques can you use to perform estimations in Scrum projects?
- How would you handle any conflict in the team as a Scrum Master?
- What is MVP in Scrum?
What Are Some Mid-level Interview Questions for Scrum Master?
A mid-level Scrum Master possesses some experience based on which the interviewer might test the knowledge and the approach they take to handle the world of Scrum. You can expect questions based on situations like this one.
What are your views on when a user story is assigned to team members by the product owner?
Your team is failing to meet the deadlines. What will you do in such a situation?
Some questions can examine your experience. Interviewers ask them to test your understanding of the domain you have practiced.
- What are some of the tools you have used previously in your work as a Scrum Master?
- What does "Scrum of Scrums" mean?
- How can you prevent scope creep?
- What are your views on change management in Waterfall and Agile?
- As a Scrum Master, what would you do when you realize Agile principles are broken?
What Kind of Scrum Questions Can Be Expected for Senior-level?
You become eligible for a senior-level Scrum Master through your experience. The interviewer will test your Scrum knowledge and working experience during the personal interview round of your recruitment process.
The most common Scrum Master questions for senior-level are:
- Will you be okay with 200 tickets in the backlog? What steps will you take?
- How has your experience as a Scrum Master changed over time?
- What is your take on retrospective fatigue?
- How will you overcome stakeholder resistance?
- What do you understand by "confidence vote"? What is its significance?
- Which Scrum artifacts have you got hands-on?
What Are Some Scrum Master Situational Interview Questions?
As its name suggests, situational questions will put you in a situation, and your response will be assessed. It can be based on how you would handle the team that is reluctant to adopt Scrum or manage the stakeholders.
- You've recently been hired as a Scrum Master. The team you'll be working with has no prior experience with Agile and is skeptical of Scrum. They prefer to concentrate solely on coding and are unwilling to keep track of their progress or attend meetings. What methods will you use to persuade and motivate them to use Scrum?
- The product manager you have to coordinate with has experience only in Waterfall. He does not like participating in Scrum events. How would you ensure that the Scrum process is followed?
- You have already performed Scrum training for stakeholders. When the first obstacles are encountered after an initial period of attempting to implement the concepts, you see that these colleagues developed severe resistance to continuing with Scrum adoption. What is your plan for dealing with such a situation?
- The product owner of your team has kept adding ideas to the backlog, which has resulted in the accumulation of over 200 tickets. How will you deal with this as a Scrum Master?
- You received the story on the last day of the sprint. You have noticed that the story has some defects. Will you mark it as done, or what will you do?
Are There Any Scrum Master Behavioral Interview Questions?
Behavioral questions are designed to understand how a candidate behaved in a past situation. It expands beyond just skills. Through the Scrum interview questions, interviewers get an idea about how you might behave in different kinds of problems.
Behavioral-based Scrum Master interview questions will assess your team handling and leadership abilities.
- What would you do to motivate your team members when they feel discouraged?
- How would you make a new member feel comfortable working with your team?
- Describe when you faced the biggest challenge in the Scrum Master role. How did you overcome it?
- Give an example where you made integrating the Scrum process more effective.
- How will you handle it if a team member disagrees with you regarding using the Scrum framework?
- Your team failed to meet the goal. How would you take it? How would you report it to your manager?
What Are Scrum Master Technical Interview Questions?
Technical Scrum Master interview questions will check your technical knowledge. As a Scrum enthusiast, you must have a strong understanding of the technical aspect of the Scrum framework.
- What is automation testing? Do you think it has a place in Scrum?
- What are some of the major components of Agile?
- What is a storyboard in the Scrum framework?
- What does a Scrum burndown chart comprise?
- What do you understand about velocity in Agile? How do you measure it?
- What is empirical process control? How is Scrum-based on it?
- When can one go with the Waterfall model over Scrum?
A Scrum Master is a leader who manages the team and ensures the Scrum framework is followed. Before preparing for the Scrum Master interview questions, you must keep these points in mind.
- The role of a Scrum Master is both technical and strategic. They need to know the software and how to implement them to remove any roadblocks.
- Scrum Master interview questions will check behavioral, situational, and technical aspects.
- You will have to enhance your knowledge of these three aspects while preparing for Scrum Master interview questions.
- Interview questions for Scrum Master jobs can vary depending on the years of experience you have.
- While an entry-level Scrum Master questions will focus on your approach to handling the team, the mid-level or senior level will center around your experience in previous work.
Need career-related guidance?
Reach out to Hiration's Career Activator Platform, which has 24/7 chat aid and professional assistance with all your job & career-related queries.
You can also write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.