Who is a project manager?
A project manager is someone who is responsible for planning, execution, and closure of a project, while ascertaining the scope, resources, and schedule pertaining to the project.
An in-depth understanding of the project manager job description will be helpful to anyone seeking to establish a career in the field or those looking to recruit the best candidate.
Here's a summary of what you will find in this guide:
- The project manager job description can be useful for the candidate to gauge whether he or she will be able to meet the expectations or not.
- A job posting must be descriptive enough for the applicant to understand the exact requirements of the job.
- A well-crafted project manager job description will bring clarity and purpose, whether you are looking to hire or if you are seeking to join an organization.
- Project management is required by organizations across industries which is why project managers are to be found in every sector.
Here is a brief overview of the topics that we shall discuss in this blog:
- What is the importance of a project manager job description?
- What are the roles and responsibilities of a project manager?
- What are the qualifications and requirements for project manager job description?
- What are the industries that require project managers?
- What are the qualities of a good project manager?
Importance Of A Project Manager Job Description
Project manager job description is important for two main reasons.
From an employer’s perspective, it describes the type of work and the requisite project manager skills to accomplish the task.
The project manager job description can be useful to give a thorough overview of the nature of work that needs to be accomplished. Whether the applicant is expected to work in a fast-paced work environment or if it is fieldwork, such descriptions will give a proper perspective for those that are applying for the job.
From a job applicant’s perspective, it helps in deciding whether he/she is suitable for the role. A better understanding of a typical project manager job description will give a bird’s eye view of the overall job responsibilities.
It will be helpful for the candidate to gauge whether he or she will be able to meet the expectations. It will also give an idea about the tools or technical skills that the applicant will get to familiarize with.
Project Manager Job Description For A Job Posting
Hiring managers can curate the project manager job description in such a way that they can list out the specific objectives & approach required to successfully complete the job.
An ideal project manager job description has to communicate the following key information:
- Project manager duties
- Project manager responsibilities
- Project manager qualifications
- Project manager requirements
A job posting must be descriptive enough for the applicant to understand the exact requirements of the job.
Hiring managers can post job openings on their company website or on various job portals so that job seekers can easily upload their project manager resume without any hassle. Alternatively, the job openings can be published on professional networks as well to reach out to potential candidates.
After a brief overview of the job, the job description should be listed.
Here is a sample of an effective project manager job description for job posting:
Project Manager Job Description:
Product Manager Job Requirements:
Project Manager Job Description For A Resume
A job applicant on the other hand must highlight his/her job role on the project management resume and also specify how effectively it was handled from start to finish by detailing the appropriate project manager job description on the resume.
The candidate must ideally communicate how well he or she was able to contribute towards the project by quantifying the results as much as possible.
Project Manager Roles And Responsibilities
What does a project manager do?
A project manager is the one who plays a lead role in formulating and executing a project. A project manager also takes into consideration, the scope of the project, budget, and timely delivery of the project.
Depending on the type of organization and the industry, the roles and responsibilities of a project manager will vary.
However, the following are some of the typical roles and responsibilities of a project manager, regardless of the industry:
- Staff coordination and allocation of resources
- Monitoring the progress & motivating the team
- Estimating the cost and budget planning
- Risk mitigation and conflict resolution
- Project review & documentation
- Handling multiple teams, clients & stakeholders
Qualifications And Requirements For Project Manager Job Description
The role of a project manager is multi-faceted, as it involves a set of collective skills that are interdependent.
To demonstrate this, you need to meticulously plan your resume in such a way that everything adds up. Having clarity on the resume means that you have already communicated your intentions well and soundly.
Depending on your experience level and proficiency, that is, whether you are an entry-level project manager/ junior project manager or a senior project manager, your qualifications must be as follows:
- Relevant certifications
- Formal training
- Relevant experience
- Internship/volunteer work
Key Skills For Project Manager Job Description
Every project manager has a set of key skills and additional skills which are a bonus. However, key skills are indispensable and most importantly, should be proficient.
The key skills required for a project manager are as follows:
- Leadership: Leadership which includes team management is the foremost skill required by a project manager
- Budgeting: A proper budget planning is key to successfully finish the project on time
- Inventory management: Must be able to allocate the resources effectively
- Decision making: Must be accountable
- Attention to detail: Must have a keen eye for detail
- Time management: Has to conscious about deadlines and commitments
- Staffing: Must be able to build a great team from scratch
- Communication: Should be able to communicate effectively
- Problem-solving: Should be able to troubleshoot any issue
Whether you are writing a project manager job description for a job posting or a project manager job description for a resume, these skills must be highlighted.
Industries That Require Project Management
What is a project?
A project is defined as a series of tasks, usually undertaken collaboratively to achieve a common goal.
Project management is required by organizations across industries which is why project managers are to be found in every sector.
Some of the major industries that require project managers are listed below:
- IT project manager - Tech Industry
- Construction project manager - Construction Industry
- Marketing project manager - Advertising
- Healthcare project manager - Healthcare industry
- Banking project manager - Banking industry
Top 5 Qualities Of A Good Project Manager
Over and above the functional and technical skills, a good project manager must possess some unique qualities. We have listed out the top 5 qualities desired in a good project manager:
- Delegation - Important to delegate when required. Micromanaging will be counterproductive
- Critical Thinking - Should have the clarity and conviction
- Team building - A great team is the foundation for any successful project
- Conflict resolution - Ensures harmonious progression
- Leadership that inspires - A distinguishing quality of a good leader
Hiration Interview Preparation
Want to ace that project manager jobs interview?
Hiration is the one-stop solution that can help you prepare for an interview and boost your confidence.
You can make use of the following features from the Hiration's Interview Preparation:
- Database of 20,000+ interview questions and sample answers
- An overview/objective of each question
- Know what the interviewer is expecting
- Easy search for job interview questions and answers
- Job interview Questions and Answers for 150+ work profiles
- Search for specific questions, key strengths, focus areas and more
- Link to additional information for specific job and question
A well-crafted project manager job description will bring clarity and purpose, whether you are looking to hire or if you are seeking to join an organization.
Project management is a much sought-after job role, which is why every effort you put into that job description will be rewarding.
We have analyzed the significance of project manager description and the method of writing a good job description in detail. We have also discussed the job responsibilities and the required skill set for a good project manager.
We trust that this information was thorough and helpful to you. We would love to hear your thoughts on this and if required, we are willing to help you better.
If you would like to get in touch with one of our experts, you can write to us at email@example.com and we will get back to you at the earliest.