What is the best job description format?
Job descriptions for even the same profile can look different for different companies and organizations.
However, to make a job description template a great one, it must include some must-have components irrespective of the profile and industry.
Job descriptions are key to attracting the right talent and also for job seekers to put their best foot forward to get hired.
Read on to learn more about job description templates and to get an insight into the following related questions:
- What is a job description template?
- Why is it important to have a good job description template?
- How to write a job description template?
- What are some good examples of job description templates?
What is a Job Description Template?
A job description is an official description that lists the expectations, duties, and requirements of a job profile vacancy.
It is a part of job listings that employers issue to attract the right candidates and fill vacancies.
And as the name suggests, a job description template is a reusable set format that employers can customize for various job profiles and effectively communicate what they are seeking in a potential candidate.
A good job description template has the following components:
- A specific job title
- An appealing overview of what the job entails
- A brief explanation of how the applicant is expected to fit into the role and the company
- The location of the job
- A detailed description of the day-to-day duties of the role
- Mandatory requirements in terms of skills, experience, and qualifications
- Good to have skills and certification
- Required licenses, etc.
- Salary range
Importance of a Good Job Description Template
A well-written job description is not only crucial for employers to begin their recruitment process the right way, but it also helps job seekers to prepare well for the entire process.
A job description essentially sets the tone for future expectations and communications between the recruiters and the applicants.
Here are some other reasons why a good job description template is indispensable:
- Job description is the best place to set the standard for potential employees
- It helps attract the right talent
- The job description can be as a parameter to gauge whether or not the employee has executed the duties efficiently post-hire during performance reviews
- When the requirements and eligibility criteria are listed clearly in the job description, the pool of applicants who apply for the job will be refined
- It facilitates training plans post hiring and simplifies the onboarding processes as both recruiters and recruits will be clear about the role expectations
How Do You Create a Strong Job Description Template?
Given below are some steps that you can take to create an impressive job description template for your company or business:
Begin With the Job Title
The job title is the primary keyword in your job description; therefore, it must be specific and clear.
Ensure to use key phrases that describe the role effectively and avoid using company lingo to refer to the role. Use job titles that are familiar in the industry.
Also, make sure that the job titles that only include around 80 characters as concise job titles receive more clicks.
Write an Attention-grabbing Job Overview or Summary
The job description template must begin with a good 3-4 lines of summary or overview of the job roles, expectations, and company culture.
Writing a few words about the company is important as this is what will set your listing apart from others and also give the applicants an idea about the company’s management style and culture.
Why do you believe applicants would love to work for your company?
Highlight key details like those to make your job description summary engaging and attractive.
Additionally, the summary can include the following details to help the listing rank high in search results:
- How the role fits into the department and the organization as a whole
- The goals of the job position and how it contributes to the growth of the company
- The exact location of the office that the applicant will be expected to work at
List Out a Detailed Description of Everyday Duties that Applicants will Be Expected to Perform
Rather than listing the duties and responsibilities of the role in a bulky paragraph, list them out in bullet points and make them concise yet informative.
Outline the core tasks that they will be responsible for, and if there are any specific programs or software that applicants need to use to execute their tasks, specify the same.
For instance, if the job description template is for the role of an account manager, specify the CRM software they will be using, like Zoho, HubSpot, etc.
Detail the Requirements of the Role
To receive applications from only the most qualified and able candidates, the job description template needs to provide extensive details on the skills, educational qualifications, proficiency with different tools & software, and professional experience requirements for the role.
Along with technical skills, the job description template can also include a few critical soft skills under the requirements for the role.
If the job position requires candidates to speak a specific language, mention that as well and ensure to keep your requirements list concise.
Provide a Salary Range
Since job seekers are more likely to apply to listings that have displayed the salary range, it is advisable to include the same in your job description template to attract more candidates.
If your company is not comfortable stating the monthly range upfront in the listing, provide an annual salary range.
Job Description Template Examples
As stated earlier, job description templates can look different for different companies even for the same job position.
However, the fundamentals of a good job description template remain the same.
For your reference, below are a few examples of profile-specific job description templates:
CNA Job Description Template Example
Looking for a certified nursing assistant (CNA) to provide outstanding care to patients at our multispeciality hospital branch at Dukin’ street, New York. The applicant must be state-certified and have the ability to endure high-pressure work situations and must be comfortable working in a fast-paced, time-sensitive environment.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Administering medications to patients on a timely basis as per the direction of the physicians
- Assisting patients with personal hygiene, bathroom activities, dressing, and other physical activities whenever required
- Providing pre and post-surgical care including wound dressing, fecal output, and food intake
- Providing adjunct patient care by delivering ice packs to help relieve pain, changing dressings, and providing bedpans
- Monitoring patients’ vital signs and keeping an accurate record of their recovery progress
- Liaising with doctors and briefing patients’ family members or friends about proper post-op home care
- Overseeing patients’ dietary restrictions, allergies, and preferences and ensuring they get meals on time
- Staying abreast with the latest industry practices and adhering to the hospital’s policies and procedures
- Must possess state-certified Nursing Assistant Certification
- CPR trained and certified
- Nursing degree from a recognized CNA program
- Basic computer skills
- Ability to work independently and for extended periods
- Comfortable working during odd hours on a shift basis
- Good communication skills and compassionate nature
- 2-3 years of professional experience preferred
Also Read: How to write a stellar CNA resume in 2022?
Key Points from the Blog
- A job description is an official description that lists the expectations, duties, and requirements of a job profile vacancy.
- A good job description template has a specific job title, an informative yet concise list of duties and responsibilities, and a detailed description of requirements and qualifications.
- A job description sets the tone for future expectations and communications between the recruiters and the applicants.
- The job title is the primary keyword in your job description and therefore, it has to be specific and clear.
- The job description template must begin with a good 3-4 lines of summary or overview of the job roles, expectations, and company culture.
- Along with technical skills, the job description template can also include a few critical soft skills under requirements for the role.
- Since job seekers are more likely to apply to listings that have displayed the salary range, it is advisable to include the same in your job description template to attract more candidates.
Visit Hiration’s Career Activator Platform to get expert help for writing a compelling job description template and for any other job-related assistance. You can also write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.