Is HR a high-paying job?
HR generalists are essential human resource department members who handle various duties like recruiting new employees, managing employee benefits, and performance evaluations.
Studies show that the job outlook for HR generalists is projected to grow by 8% by 2031, which is faster than the average growth rate for other occupations.
And given that these professionals play a vital role in any organization, they are paid fairly well.
While the average salary for an HR generalist is $61,458 per annum, it can widely vary depending on the location, employer, industry, and experience level.
Read on to find out more about HR generalist salary and get clarity on related queries like the following:
- What are the HR generalist roles and responsibilities?
- What are the factors that affect HR generalist salary?
- Which are the highest paying cities for an HR generalist job?
- What are the highest paying companies for HR generalists?
Who is an HR Generalist?
Human resources (HR) generalists play a crucial role in managing and optimizing the talent within an organization and are responsible for various HR functions, such as employee relations, recruitment, benefits, and training.
They serve as a point of contact for employees, providing guidance and support on HR-related issues. The following are some of the general duties of HR generalists:
- Ensuring the implementation of company policies and procedures
- Formulating onboarding plans for recruits and executing them
- Assisting in the recruitment and screening process
- Resolving employee-related complaints and grievances
- Overseeing employees’ performance evaluation and reviews
- Administering employee benefit and retention programs
- Ensuring adherence to local and federal labor laws
- Collecting and maintaining employee records and HR data
HR Generalists Salary Trends
As stated earlier, while the average annual salary for HR generalists, is $61458, there are several factors such as location, industry, size of the company, education, and level of experience that influence an HR generalist’s pay.
According to data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual salary for HR generalists is $63,410, with the top 10% earning more than $102,000 per year.
The following are some general factors that affect HR generalist salary:
Size and Location of the Company
The size and location of the company are one of the most influential factors that affect the HR generalist salary.
Generally, larger multinational corporations offer higher salaries for HR generalists, as they typically have more complex and demanding HR needs than those working for small, local businesses with simple job descriptions.
Meanwhile, HR generalists who work in bigger cities with a higher level of talent competition can expect to earn higher salaries, as companies offer competitive pay to attract the best candidates.
Another reason why bigger cities offer higher salaries to HR generalists is due to the higher cost of living and applicable local labor laws.
Experience and Education
Experience and education are also important factors that impact the HR generalist salary.
HR generalists who have more experience in the field, and have specialized in areas such as employee relations or benefits management, earn higher salaries than those who are just starting out.
For instance, the median Senior HR Generalist salary can range from $81,813 to $101,863 while the average entry-level HR Generalist salary can range between $54,900 and $68,700.
In addition, HR generalists who have a master's degree in human resources or a related field are likely to earn more than those with just a bachelor's degree.
Industry can also affect the salary trends for HR generalists.
According to the BLS, HR specialists working in the finance and insurance industry have the highest median annual wage at $71,630, followed by those working in the professional, scientific, and technical services industry earning $70,020 per annum.
Meanwhile, HR specialists working in the healthcare industry and government sector have a median annual wage of $65,410 and $61,910 respectively.
Skills and Certifications
A highly skilled HR generalist is likely to earn more than their counterparts who lack in-demand skills like global mobility, consulting management, presentations, strategic project management, and people management.
Additionally, certified HR generalists who have completed certification courses like the following can earn more as it demonstrates your knowledge and expertise in the field:
- SHRM-Certified Professional (SHRM-CP) by Society for Human Resource Management
- Associate Professional in Human Resource (aPHR) by HRCI
- The Professional in Human Resources (PHR)
- Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR)
- Associate Professional in Human Resources (aPHR)
- California Professional in Human Resources (PHRca)
- California Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR-CA)
- Global Professional in Human Resources (GPHR)
- SHRM Senior Certified Professional (SHRM -SCP)
Also Read: What are some of the best HR jobs and how to bag one?
Highest Paying Cities for HR Generalists
Listed below are some of the best locations for HR generalist jobs with high average salaries:
|New York, NY||$67,418|
|Salt Lake City, UT||$57,252|
|Fort Worth, TX||$57,096|
|San Antonio, TX||$56,443|
Also Read: What is human resource management?
Top Companies for HR Generalists
The following are some of the large-scale multinational companies that pay exceptionally high HR generalist salaries:
|Compton Unified School District||$86,245|
|Advance Auto Parts||$69,346|
Also Read: What is the average salary of human resource professionals?
Key Points from the Blog
- HR generalists are responsible for an array of duties like recruiting new employees, managing employee benefits, and performance evaluations.
- While the average salary for an HR generalist is $61,458 per annum, it can widely vary depending on the location, employer, industry, and experience level.
- Larger companies tend to offer higher salaries for HR generalists, as they typically have more complex and demanding HR needs than those working for small, local businesses with simple job descriptions.
- The median Senior HR Generalist salary can range from $81,813 to $101,863 while the average entry-level HR Generalist salary can range between $54,900 and $68,700.
- HR specialists working in the finance and insurance industry have the highest median annual wage of $71,630.
- New York, Atlanta, Dallas, and Houston are among the highest-paying cities for HR generalists.
- Alameda Alliance, RHI Magnesita, Compton Unified School District, and IKEA are some of the top companies with high HR generalist salaries.
Visit Hiration’s Career Activator Platform with 24x7 chat support to get expert assistance with any career-related queries. You can also reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org.