How to nail a software engineer cover letter?
Whether you are looking for an entry-level software job or a senior software engineer job, landing your dream job could hinge you on writing a great professional cover letter along with your resume.
Creating a good cover letter may seem daunting, especially if you have never created one. This guide would make sure to help you craft a robust job-winning cover letter.
Writing a cover letter is a skill that can be learned and perfected despite age. Keep yourself hooked until the end to ace your cover letter writing process.
Here are a few key tips to write an excellent software engineer cover letter
- Research about the company and add industry-relevant keywords in your software engineer cover letter
- Qunatify your achievements in your software engineer cover letter and bold the same to make them noticeable
- Customize your cover letter for every company you apply to and avoid using generic phrases
- Read the checklist for a software engineer cover letter before you submit the final to the hiring manager
Here's a summary of what you would find in this guide:
- What is a software engineer cover letter?
- Tips for writing a cover letter for a software engineer
- The Do's and the Dont's of a software engineer cover letter
- The Checklist for a software engineer cover letter
What is a Software Engineer Cover Letter?
A job winning software engineer cover letter is a personalized letter specific to the company. Your cover letter is the first thing a recruiter would probably notice.
It can either make or break the deal. Creating an engaging cover letter is vital to compel the recruiter to invest more time in evaluating you and review your resume.
The coveted space is a chance to create a compelling narrative about yourself. You can show your interest and enthusiasm to work with the company in particular. You can add your skills and expertise that make you an ideal candidate for the job position.
Suppose, you have been in your career for few years and have a remarkable work experience. In that case, you can include your proficiency in programming languages, showcase any domain expertise, the technology stacks you've encountered before in your work, and many more.
Hiration pro tip: If you are a fresh grad and do not have enough professional experience, focus on your skills, Key achievements, volunteering experience, Internships that align with the job position requirements.
Note that how you present yourself must align with what the employer is seeking to stand out from the crowd and secure the job position. That being said, it has more to do with your research about the company.
You can visit the company's websites, read articles, go through their social media profiles to have a clearer picture.
You can also connect and seek help from the people already working in the company via LinkedIn profiles. They can connect you with the right person who can give you factual information about the job position and the company's work culture so that you present the best version of yourself.
Tips for Writing a Great Cover letter for a Software Engineer
Searching for a job is no small task. Crafting an attention-grabbing software engineer cover letter is another hindrance to your job search journey.
Follow the given tips to arm yourself with a proper cover letter that would escalate your chances of selection-
- Do your research work before you start to write a cover letter to demonstrate that you have sufficient knowledge about the company and the product.
- Start your cover letter with why you are applying for the job position in the company and what makes you an ideal candidate for the role.
- Add industry-relevant keywords in your cover letter to highlight your expertise for the job role and increase the odds of landing a job.
- Add sufficient white space between the paragraphs, and do not use more than 2 fonts throughout your cover letter to ensure a smooth reading experience.
- Describe how your experiences and skills would add a value to the company. You can add both soft and hard skills.
- Be optimistic about your vision of the company and identify yourself with the organization's brand.
- If you have enough space, feel free to add relevant certifications, achievements, and awards.
- Exhibit your interest and enthusiasm to work with the company and always end your cover letter with a call to action.
The Do's and the Dont's of a Software Engineer Cover Letter
To make sure your cover letter helps you land the interview, keep these do's and don’ts in mind while you're writing your cover letter for a job-
Quantify Your Achievements
Numbers has a magic to it. Backing your accomplishments with the help of concrete numbers would leave a long-lasting impression on the hiring manager.
Use numbers wherever possible. You can also bold the numbers to make them noticeable at first glance.
Address Your Cover Letter to the Hiring Manager
Make a research to address the cover letter to the concerned hiring manager. Assume reading a letter written to you but not addressed to you. How would you feel?.
Never use a generic "Hello" or "To whom it may concern" to address the letter.
If you can't find the hiring manager's name, address the letter to the head of the department. That would at least show that you have done your homework.
Skills and Certifications
Add skills, experiences and certifications targeted to the job profile. You mustn't write anything that is not true.
With that being said, write only those skills that you can substantiate in front of the interviewer.
You can also add any remarkable results or accomplishments relevant to a job role. Emphasize any problem you encountered as a software engineer and how efficiently you solved it.
Avoid Sounding Too Generic
Ask yourself- if you change the company's name and the job profile, can you send the same cover letter across all the companies you are applying for?.
If the answer is yes, the simple advice is you need to work on your cover letter.
You need to customize your cover letter for every company you apply to. A generic cover letter would only land in rejected piles. Spending time in making research about the company and customizing your cover letter is worth the time.
Hiration Pro Tip: Do not use generic lines as- I have excellent computer skills or I am a hardworking individual.
That would do no good to your cover letter. If you find any such generic phrases, eliminate it from your cover lettern while proofreading.
Make sure your cover letter does not exceed one page. Cover all the vital information in 3-4 paragraphs maximum.
Checklist for a Software Engineer Cover Letter
Once you are done with writing the cover letter, ensure that all the information is placed correctly. One silly mistake can ruin all your efforts and time. Let's get down to the nitty-gritty of a cover letter.
Here's what you must ensure in each section of your cover letter before you send one-
Cover Letter Introduction
- Ensure that the cover letter has a strong opening paragraph.
- Communicate why you fit the role in the first few lines to keep a hold of the reader.
- Have you mentioned the company's name and the job position you are applying for?
- Certify that your cover letter confronts the standard business format.
- Have you included all the vital skills and experience relevant to the job role to entice the reader to spend more time reviewing your resume?
- Do your cover letter and resume follow the same formatting in terms of the layout and the font?
- Explain any inconsistency in your resume to avoid any doubts
- Is the information written in your cover letter unique or just a copy-paste of your resume?
- Review if your cover letter is to the point and easily readable.
- Have you provided your phone number and email id for the hiring manager to connect with you directly? You can omit it if you have included them in the header.
- Does your cover letter contain a call to action?. If not, you can confidently request the recruiter for an interview to further discuss the opportunity.
- Do not forget to sign your cover letter if you are emailing a hard copy to the recruiter.
With that, we have come to the end of the blog. We hope that our guide ha provided you some value and now you can confidently write a cover letter. Always rememeber, that you must send a cover letter to every job you apply to until it is explicitely mention not to do so.
Here's a quick roundup of the guide so that you don't miss out on any important information and craft a kick-ass job-winning cover letter-
- Keep your cover letter crisp and to the point. It's best to divide it into 3 or 4 paragraphs maximum, each section explaining a different aspects of your professional life.
- Do not use a generic cover letter for all the companies you apply to. Personalize every cover letter specific to the company
- Directly talk about your skills and expertise to prove that you are an ideal candidate for the job position.
- Consider your cover letter as an opportunity to talk about any inconsistency your resume may have.
- End your cover letter with a call-to-action. Ask the recruiter directly for the interview to discuss the job role further.
- Make sure you proofread the entire letter before sending it. Any grammatical errors or spelling mistakes can be a big turnoff.
If you want to create a software engineer cover letter, go to Hiration Cover Letter Builder and select from 20+ templates and create a professional cover letter all by yourself.
We have 20+ ATS-friendly design templates, and you can choose any that your think might work best for the job you are applying for. Get them in 15+ designs.
Hiration can also help you prepare for an interview and boost your confidence with an extensive database of 20,000+ interview questions and sample answers for 150+ work profiles.
You can also avail yourself of our Resume Review Service, where you can upload your existing academic resume on our Online Resume Builder and get insight from professionals on what changes you can make in your resume to make it shortlist-worthy.
If you need any assistance with anything, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, and we will get back to you as soon as possible.