Who doesn't want to feel secure?
Having personnel who ensure the safety of people and property is essential in many establishments, at work, when shopping, etc. With so many agencies, properties, and businesses in need of security, it might be worth learning how to become a security guard.
There are several different types of security guard jobs. These include:
- Bank security guard jobs
- Unarmed and armed security guard jobs
- Airport security
- Cruise ship security
- Transit officers
Knowing what to expect when finding a job as a security guard can be confusing. Some positions require minimal qualifications, while others require a certain amount of training and licensure.
Don't worry—we have your back. Read on to understand the things to keep in mind to find the best security guard jobs in the United States:
- What does a security guard do?
- How to find security guard jobs?
- What are the duties of a security guard?
- How to become a security guard?
- What skills does a security guard have?
What does a security guard do?
Security guards are responsible for protecting individuals and property from injury, robbery, vandalism, etc. They work for a wide scope of organizations and establishments, including government offices, security organizations, hospitals, casinos, college campuses, parking lots and garages, financial institutions, and sports arenas.
Some safety officers work in fixed areas while others are mobile. Work hours might be full-time or include rotating or short-term shifts.
How Much Do Security Guards Make?
Security guards in the United States earn $15 per hour. The amount of money you make depends on your experience, job type, and location of the job. However, the median salary ranges from $11.65 to $19.21 per hour.
Also Read: How much do Security Guards make in 2022?
How to Find Security Guard Jobs?
Finding a job is easy when you know what to do. Take time to update your security guard resume to place your skills and qualifications in one place for the employer to see.
In case a potential employer calls for backup, you may also want to write a security guard cover letter. The cover letter shall briefly explain your skills, credentials, and enthusiasm for the job. Some companies specifically mention requirements for a resume and a cover letter before they'll consider you for an interview.
Now that you are prepared to apply for a job, the top 5 U.S cities offering the best remuneration for security guard jobs are as per Indeed
Look for job openings in these high-paying cities:
United States City
Salary per hour
Security guard jobs NYC
Security guard jobs Los Angeles
Security guard jobs Chicago
Security guard jobs Miami
Security guard jobs Washington D.C
Note: New York is the best city to become a security guard. It offers the best remuneration. Keep it as your first preference.
What duties does a security guard have?
The typical duties of security guards include:
- Patrolling property on foot or by car and leading security checks.
- Enforcing rules established by property owners.
- Checking video-surveillance systems and alarms.
- Responding to emergencies, defusing potentially dangerous situations, and preventing crime.
- Directing employee and visitor access to buildings.
- Making reports of movement they observe at work.
- Contacting the police, fire departments, or ambulance services during a crisis.
How to Become a Security Guard?
Let's find out the requirements to be fulfilled to secure a security guard job:
Many security guard jobs require a GED or a high school diploma. Many require on-the-job training, while some security guard jobs require no experience.
Some security guards such as casino security officers would need some prior experience in monitoring video-surveillance systems or working in a casino.
The duration of on-the-job training may vary according to the type of security guard job you apply for. For instance, several months of training are required to get hired as a gambling surveillance officer.
On the other hand, some kinds of security guard jobs only need a few weeks of training. Several states suggest eight hours of assessment training. This is followed by 8 to 16 hours of training on the job, and eight hours of annual training.
The training you'll receive would include emergency procedures, communication, first aid, and crime prevention tactics. Armed guards must undergo more rigorous training.
You can also take security guard training courses from several security schools, available on online and offline media, to be ready.
Note: Drug testing may be done as a pre-assessment during the job process.
Licenses, Certifications, and Registrations
You would need to obtain a security guard license, especially if your job requires you to carry a firearm. The basic criteria to become licensed in your state are:
- Minimum of 18 years old
- Complete the required training
- Pass a background check
Note: Some states require you to be a minimum of 21 years to work as casino security.
Also, armed guard positions have more stringent background checks and entry requirements. Rigorous hiring and screening are performed for armed guards in most states. Some security guard jobs require a driver's license.
Also Read: How to Draft a Security Guard Resume?
Before your interview, think of examples of personal experiences that are relevant to the role:
- Discuss an instance when you calmed down an upset individual using just words.
- Articulate your primary motivations.
- Give an example of when you were able to keep your cool in the midst of a chaotic situation and focused on the work at hand.
- Describe a time when you felt physically threatened. What steps did you take to deal with the situation?
- What would you do if you witnessed two persons fighting?
- Are you CPR, and First Aid certified?
What Are the Important Qualities to Become a Security Guard?
The qualities you'll need to be a security guard include:
- Effective communication, especially in stressful situations.
- Interpersonal skills and the ability to de-escalate conflicts.
- Observational skills and attention to detail.
- Problem-solving attitude and wise decision-making in times of crisis.
- Stamina, physical strength, and the ability to defend in the event of a confrontation.
Many agencies, properties, and businesses require security, and knowing what to expect when finding security guard jobs is a must. We have thus prepared a list of things you must keep in mind before applying for a job as a security guard:
- Security guards are responsible for protecting individuals and property from injury, robbery, vandalism, etc.
- Security guards patrol the property, enforce rules, respond to emergencies, direct employee access, and make reports.
- Most security guard jobs require minimal to no prior experience. A license is required to pursue a job as a security guard. Training is provided on the job and its duration varies according to the type of role.
- The qualities required are effective communication, interpersonal skills, observational skills, problem-solving attitude, physical strength, and the ability to defend in the event of a confrontation.
- Security guards typically make $15 per hour and the median salary ranges from $11.65 to $19.21.
- The top 5 cities to become a security guard are New York, Miami, Chicago, Washington D.C., and Los Angeles.