School time can be hard on students, but easing them through rough school years is where a school counselor walks in.
Children and young adults need support and guidance. Usually, the counselors help them formulate their potential paths to success.
A job like School Counselor is one of the best ways to do social service. According to the BLS, school counselor job growth percentage is defined as 11 over the next 10 years in the US.
Being good at counseling the young generation and preparing them to deal with problems won't get you the desired job, you need to work and make the same effort to design your resume and cover letter.
Don't worry, in this detailed article, we'll help you understand and draft your cover letter for school counselor job.
This cover letter writing guide will discuss:
- What is the career prospect of a school counselor
- How to Structure an Impactful School Counselor Cover Letter?
- How to Write the Body of a School Counselor Cover Letter?
- What Are the Tips to Write a School Counselor Cover Letter?
- What Common Mistakes to Avoid When Writing School Counselor Cover Letter?
School Counselor Career Prospect
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, school counselor jobs to see a growth of 11% from 2020 to 2030 and school counselors received a median salary of $58,120 in 2020.
However, the top-paid 25 percent made around $76000 that year. While the lowest-paid is estimated at $45,080. On average, about 35,000 openings are projected for school and career counselors and advisors each year.
Introduction to Counselor Cover Letter
Writing a cover letter is not an enjoyable part of the job search journey. Many candidates miss out on important things in the body of the letter.
While, if you write an impressive counselor cover letter it will stand in with equal weightage with your resume.
When you draft your cover letter for the counseling position, make sure to reference the requirements projected in the job profile.
Further, focusing on the specific job cover letter, school counseling cover letter body is the hardest part.
A school counselor's cover letter should emphasize a candidate’s skills and experience without repeating the exact information included on your resume.
Also read: Cover Letter Examples
Structure of a School Counselor Cover Letter
A cover letter for counseling position should be aligned left with words not exceeding 200-500. A list of what all is included in structuring your cover letter is mentioned below.
- A formal salutation
- An expression of interest in the job
- Your name
- Name of employer
- Express interest in the next step of the hiring process
- A thank-you
- A formal closing
School Counselor Cover Letter: Header
The school counseling cover letter header should be easy to read and attractive. It should hook the recruiter to read the entire cover letter and resume.
Elements you must add to the chef cover letter header:
- Candidate’s name
- Email ID
- Phone Number
- Your Location
- Your Job Role
School Counselor Cover Letter: Sign-Off
In the end, your school counseling cover letter should have a formal sign-off. They can be:
- Thanking You
- Best Regards
- Thank You
School Counselor Cover Letter Template
How to Write the Body of a School Counselor Cover Letter?
The cover letter's body is the section that tells the recruiter what position you're applying for. This is reasonable communication of why you should be selected for an interview.
You're selling your candidacy, so it's important to be specific with your information. In the body of the letter, you should include an explanation of why you're interested in and qualified for the job.
A successful counselor cover letter will win you an interview. A well-written and formatted cover letter can convince the hiring manager to consider you as a suitable candidate.
Also read: How to address a cover letter?
What to Include in Each Paragraph
First Paragraph: Who and Why?
The opening paragraph of your school counselor cover letter should be about why you're writing.
- Mention the name the title of the job you're applying for.
- Briefly describe where you read the listing.
- Include the name of a person who referred you, (if any).
- You should use a strong opening to attract the recruiter’s interest.
Middle Paragraph: Your Skills and Qualifications
This section of your school counselor cover letter describes what you have to offer for the position.
- Creatively build a strong connection between your qualifications and the job profile.
- Acknowledge your skills and experience to match the job you're applying for.
- Discuss the strengths you bring to this job.
- Write in a tone of confidence, but not arrogance.
- Consider elaborating on a related achievement or success story, if any, as it will work as a good reason to consider you.
- Briefly state your reasons for the best fit for the position by comforting them with how to deal with students and their issues.
- Avoid lengthy paragraphs and keep them concise.
Final Paragraph: Action Step
In the conclusion, your school counselor cover letter must thank the employer for considering you for the required position.
- Reaffirm any key points, putting them together in a fresh.
- Ask to refer to the enclosed resume.
- Let them know your availability in a positive approach. Provide your contact information.
Tips to Write a School Counselor Cover Letter
- Do not use too large or too small fonts, keep the font size between 10 -12 points. If your cover letter seems lengthy, you can go for 10 point font.
- Don't use stylish fonts, keep it simple and readable. Use easy-to-read and straightforward fonts to attract the reader’s attention easily.
- Keep your school counselor cover letter within one page and wrap it up within 200- 500 words. As a general rule, fill around three-quarters of an A4 page.
- Ensure to use proper formatting of your cover letter, prefer professionally designed templates.
- Take a break before writing the letter and editing it. Proofreading is a must after you write your cover letter. Reading it after a break can enable you to spot mistakes more easily.
- Address the letter appropriately, try to identify the name of the hiring manager. Addressing your communication shows your conscientiousness and attention to detail.
- Show your skills through your work experience. Better include examples from your previous employment to showcase your skills.
- Use statistics to show skills and achievements. Using metrics to highlight your abilities and achievements can affirm your professionalism.
Common Mistakes to Avoid Writing School Counselor Cover Letter
They say it’s never too early to make a bad impression, even the smallest error may cause it.
Here’s how to avoid the common mistakes you can make at least once when writing a cover letter for a school counselor position.
- Being overly formal and too informal in your communication.
- Using a stock cover letter. It shows laziness as well as a suggestion that you’re not bothered about the position.
- Sell and show off your skills, you’re going to have to talk yourself up quite a lot. Do not brag yourself, nobody likes braggers.
- Neglecting the layout of your cover letter is a bad move again.
- Witnessing errors in grammar, spelling, punctuation, and typos are major turn off. Don't forget to proofread the cover letter twice.
Also read: Types of cover letter templates
Executive School Counselor Cover Letter Sample
Now you can write a cover letter school counselor, all you have to keep in mind is:
- The career prospect for a school counselor job is bright and growing.
- You need to create a stellar school counselor cover letter even if the recruiter does not ask for it.
- Presenting the cover letter well designed and engaging matters. Make sure you follow the tips before writing a cover letter.
- Try to personalize the cover letter based on your research.
- Use professional cover letter formatting and avoid bad layouts.
If you want to create an impressive school counselor cover letter, go to the Hiration Cover Letter Builder tool. Here we have picked up 20+ professional cover letter templates for you to make an excellent one for yourself.
You can also write to us at email@example.com to avail our services or resolve your queries.