What is a cover letter for a resume?
Do you need to write a cover letter for the job application but wonder the best way to go about it? You are in the right place!
As a career portfolio making expert, we can certainly guide you to making a cover letter that knocks the recruiter's socks off.
It doesn't matter which industry or at what level of career you are at - Undoubtedly, you need a spectacular cover letter along with your resume to impress the hiring manager.
How important is a cover letter? Well, if you want to distinguish yourself from the crowd, it definitely is.
Let us understand the basics of a cover letter with professional cover letter examples for better clarity.
Here is the summary of our article:
- Attaching your cover letter with a resume helps you stand as a strong candidate. Always send a cover letter until you are specifically asked not to.
- Choose a cover letter template that matches the resume formatting and allows you to customize it as per your needs.
- Always address the cover letter with the hiring manager's name and end the cover letter with a call-to-action.
- Do a good research to understand the organizational values and requirements of the job to customize your cover letter accordingly.
Our cover letter guide provides you with the required sample cover letter and professional cover letter examples to help you design a thoughtful cover letter for improving your job search outcomes.
In this article, we will discuss the following in detail:
- What is a cover letter for a resume?
- Why is a cover letter necessary?
- How to choose a perfect cover letter template?
- How to write a cover letter?
- What are the dos and don'ts of a cover letter?
If you are in hurry and wish to draft a cover letter immediately, visit our tool now and create your cover letter in just a few click on your favorite template.
What is a Cover Letter for a Resume?
A covering letter is a one-page document you submit to the hiring manager alongside your resume while applying for a prospective job.
A cover letter highlights parts of your career where your resume falls short. It is meant to complement your resume, therefore, make sure you do not reiterate the same information you mentioned in your resume.
A good cover letter is always personalized, and hence a good research about the company is crucial. If you are sending a generic cover letter to all the companies or if you are falling short of time to personalize it, it is better not to send one.
Types of Cover Letter:
- Application Cover Letter
- Referral Cover Letter
- Letter of interest
- Value proposition Letter
To know about each cover letter, read the 4 different types of cover letters in detail.
For a detail guide on writing a thoughtful cover letter, visit the cover letter for 15+ profiles.
Is a Cover Letter Important?
Accompanying your resume with a cover letter gradually boosts your chances of landing the desired job. You should always send a cover letter until you are specifically asked not to.
A well-written cover letter is an opportunity for you to showcase the following:
- It is your first chance to be considered as a strong candidate and stand out from the crowd.
- It is beneficial in showcasing how your skills and experience meet the requirements of the job.
- It helps you introduce yourself personally in a way that your resume cannot.
- It is your opportunity to showcase your interest in the company and enthusiasm for the role.
Before drafting a cover letter, make sure that you have taken time to research the company, its values and mission. Understand the job requirements and exhibit how your skills and expertise makes you a perfect candidate for the job position.
How to Choose a Perfect Cover Letter Template?
To write cover letters, you need a definite format and style, just like your resume. A good cover letter template allows personalization and helps you with the layout of your letter.
A well-designed cover letter template with a professional formatting helps you present yourself as a polished candidate.
While choosing a cover letter, take care of the following points:
- Choose a cover letter template with the formatting style that matches your resume
- The cover letter template must guide you with the elements you need to include in your letter.
- The cover letter template must allow you to customize the cover letter to suit your requirements.
If you are looking for a cover letter template that matches your resume, sign in to our cover letter builder, choose your template, and draft your cover letter today! With our easy to use tool, you can customize each cover letter template to your exact specifications.
What to Include in a Cover Letter?
Before you start to write the cover letter, ensure that the below-mentioned points are clear in your mind:
- The purpose of your cover letter, i.e., what is it that you want to convey via your cover letter.
- The organization's values and job requirements & how you can meet them.
Any cover letter is broke down into the following sections:
- First Paragraph
The First Paragraph or the opening statement should state the position you are applying for from where you came to know about it.
- Second Paragraph
Discuss your past experiences and mention your skills and strengths as per the job requirement to showcase yourself as the most suitable candidate.
- Third Paragraph
Show your interest and enthusiasm to work with the company and what is it that motivates you to work with them.
- Fourth Paragraph
End your cover letter with a call to action. Ask for a call or meet in person to discuss your suitability in detail.
What are the Dos and Don'ts of a cover letter?
- Always address the cover letter with the hiring manager's name
- Choose a cover letter template that is suitable for your job role and industry
- Proofread your cover letter to avoid any spelling errors or grammatical mistakes.
- Do a good research customize your cover letter for each company you apply to
- End your cover letter with a call-to-action
- Use a professional tone according to your experience throughout your cover letter
- Include figures and facts to give evidence for your contributions
- Exceed the limit of one page. Write 3-4 short and crisp paragraphs
- Reiterate the information already mentioned in your cover letter
- Use the same cover letter for all the companies you apply to
- Write information that is irrelevant to the company
- Be overconfident or mention any information that is not true
- Mention any confidential information about previous organizations you have worked for
- Use very large fonts or not leaving required white spaces between paragraphs
Visit 20+ Cover Letter Examples for your Resume in 2021 to get a good idea on how should you design your cover letter.
Hiration Cover Letters
Cover letters are like windows to your resume!
Hiration's Cover Letter Builder provides the following features:
- 10+ ready to use templates
- 15+ designs
- Freedom to customize templates
- Create multiple cover letters
- Easy downloading
This is not all!
There are other amazing products and services of Hiration that can help take you a step ahead in your career while strengthening your professional presence.
Make sure to check out the following features:
Resume Review Service
Get your resume professionally reviewed by our resume experts at Hiration.
We at Hiration, review your resume on the basis of the below-mentioned parameters.
- ATS Compliance
- Design Compatibility
- Performance Assessment
- Compliance with industry norms
- Content Relevance
- Recruiter Friendly
- Conversion Scope
- Global Compatibility
- Resume Formatting
Online Resume Builder
Here is a list of the resources that come with Hiration's resume builder:
- A sharable link
- Save unlimited resumes
- Intuitive next text suggestion
- 25+ resume designs
- LIVE resume score
- Auto bold
- JD-resume matcher
- Full rich-text editor
- Unlimited PDF downloads
- 100+ pre-filled resume templates
- 1-click design change
- LIVE resume editor
Cover Letter Template Sample
Since we have reached the end of our cover letter template guide, let us do a quick roundup to ensure that you don't miss out on any essential details.
- Always choose a cover letter template that allows you to customize it as per your requirement.
- Choosing a cover letter template that matches your resume puts a great impression on the hiring manager.
- Always end the cover letter with a call-to-action. Directly ask for a call or meet in person to discuss your suitability further.
- Do not exceed the limit of one page while drafting your cover letter.
- Proofread before sending the final draft to avoid any spelling errors or grammatical mistakes.
If you need any assistance with anything, email us at email@example.com, and we will get back to you as soon as possible.