The ability to distinguish and solve issues is a universal skill that can help you in an array of careers!
This skill is better known as problem-solving skill. It is a soft skill learned through education and honed through training.
Employers desire problem-solving skills as employees with this skill are self-reliant. Thus, owning this skill and knowing how to include it on your resume increases your chances of getting hired.
We will now talk about what problem-solving skills are, why they are important for job-seekers, and why recruiters value them.
Read on to know the answers to these FAQs related to problem-solving skills:
- What are problem-solving skills?
- What is the importance of problem-solving skills?
- What are the examples of problem-solving skills?
- Why should problem-solving skills be included in a resume?
- How to include problem-solving skills in a resume?
- How to improve problem-solving skills?
What are Problem Solving Skills?
Problem-solving skills refer to the ability to identify a problem and find its solution. It includes understanding what is the core of the problem - not just the symptoms.
For instance, employees perceive dealing with a complaint to solve it. A different approach would be to understand why the complaint arose in the first place. So, eliminating the cause works the best.
Importance of Problem-Solving Skills
Problem-solving skills allow you to fix issues that cost your employer time and money. Problem-solving fixes small issues such as inefficiency to bigger ones that disrupt production. Identifying the underlying issue, developing a solution, and implementing it saves your company’s expenditure.
Going past income, problem-solving skills help you to work through problems as a team. It helps you work well with others. Most superiors prefer someone independent, and capable of dealing with their problems.
Problem-Solving Skills Examples
The problem-solving process requires a variety of other skills to work in tandem. The problem-solving skill examples are many, but here are some examples of problem-solving skills in the workspace:
It is the ability to identify the cause of a problem. When drafting work-related solutions or identifying issues in your workflow, analysis is done. Having the ability to identify shortcomings can help you perform well.
The ability to convey ideas to your colleagues or superiors at the workplace. Effective communication while working in a team is very important. It helps in finding the issues while working in collaboration.
It is the process of dividing the task into steps to achieve a goal. It helps to manage issues before they turn unmanageable.
It is the ability to assess one’s options and choose the optimal way. It helps to solve work-related problems quickly and thus saves time and money. Having decision-making skills makes you a valuable asset.
It helps you visualize problems differently and develop unique solutions. Creative skills help to stand out.
Why should Problem Solving Skills be Included in a Resume?
Employers want to hire someone who is independent and can take care of everyday issues arising on the job. Including problem-solving skills in a resume conveys to the recruiter that you are that independent person. So, it increases your chances of getting hired.
How should Problem Solving Skills be Included in a Resume?
There are different approaches to including problem-solving skills in your resume. For instance, when explaining your ability to problem solve, include examples where you have demonstrated this skill in the past.
A problem-solving skills resume will:
Mention Them in the Experience Section
Mention experiences when your problem-solving skills helped the business. For instance: Identifying inefficiencies in the business development model and implementing solutions that drive a 10% increase in production.
Include Examples from your Educational Experiences
It is common to include the educational background- school, year of graduation, GPA. It could also serve as a section to include your problem-solving skills.
For instance: Vice-captained the college basketball team and qualified for national competition despite losing team members.
List Skills that Represent Problem-solving Ability
In the skill section of your resume, mention problem-solving skills such as logical analysis, thoughtful planning, and efficient communication.
How to improve Problem Solving Skills?
There are plenty of ways to develop your problem-solving skills if you feel out of your comfort zone when solving a potential problem. Here are some tips to improve your problem-solving approach.
- Clearly Define the Problem: Multiple issues arise on a job that could get overwhelming. Clearly define each problem and approach it singularly.
- Focus on the Outcome: It is easier to focus on the events that led to the problem. Shifting your focus towards finding a solution gives a more positive outlook.
- Agree On A Process: In a team, it is a must to agree on the ground rules before you start problem-solving. It helps to prevent conflicts and streamline the process.
- Be an Active listener: The best problem solvers are always great listeners. Problem-solving requires you to analyze different opinions and for that opinions have to be heard.
Problem Solving Skills are soft skills acquired through education and learning. They are highly desired by the employers and must be included in your resume. Keep these points in mind while drafting your resume:
- Problem-solving skills are the ability to identify a problem and find its solution.
- Problem-solving skills allow you to fix issues that could cost your employer time and money.
- Analysis, communication, decision-making, planning, and creativity are examples of problem-solving skills.
- Mention them in the experience section of your resume by including some instances where you made an impact.
- Include examples from your educational experiences where you brought a change in some way by solving a problem.
- Directly list skills that represent problem-solving ability.
- Improve problem-solving skills by focusing on the outcome, clearly defining the problem, agreeing on a process in a team, and being an active listener.
Use Hiration’s Resume Builder tool for a smooth resume-building experience. We provide 24/7 online chat assistance for your queries.
Additionally, you can reach out to us at email@example.com for any other queries.