“Shaping a Smarter World…”
Technology is transforming this world continuously towards a brighter future.
We currently live in a generation where machines are getting smarter to reduce human efforts and improve final outcomes. The credit majorly goes to two futuristic technologies named Artificial Intelligence & Machine Learning.
People with non-tech backgrounds usually use these terms as synonyms, which is not valid. Artificial Intelligence can be considered as a vast area consisting of many technologies, and Machine Learning is just a part of it.
Artificial Intelligence is expanding its service area with a lighting speed. According to a report by Statista, the demand for AI professionals has tripled between 2015 and 2019. It ultimately resulted in nearly 69 thousand machine learning engineer jobs worldwide.
Image Source: Statista
A report from the same source states that 0.5% of all job postings in the United States were related to Machine Learning in 2020. Looking at the statistics, we can assume machine learning as a great career option for young computer science graduates.
So, if you want to be a professional machine learning engineer, you will need to get a suitable computer science degree and a job-winning machine learning resume. Moreover, your resume must address all the requirements posted by companies at online job portals.
Hence, it is essential to read the job description of your targeted ML jobs and update your resume accordingly. To help you analyze a machine learning job description efficiently, we are answering the following questions in this blog:
- What does a machine learning engineer do?
- How much does a machine learning engineer make?
- What is a machine learning internship job description?
- What is a senior machine learning engineer job description?
- What is a junior machine learning engineer job description?
- What skills do you need to possess as an ML engineer?
- What are the qualifications to be a machine learning engineer?
If you are looking for a job change or even an entry-level machine learning engineer job, you will need a well-versed machine learning resume. You can build it quickly by using the resume templates available online.
But, if you want to save time, you can check out Hiration’s Online Resume Builder once. It is powered by artificial intelligence technology that will make your resume building easy and effective.
Primary Responsibilities & Duties of a Machine Learning Engineer
An ML engineer has to deal with most of the automation tasks in a company.
Besides designing ML systems, machine learning engineers also determine suitable data representation methods, identify differences in data distribution, verify data quality, perform statistical analysis, and develop machine learning applications.
However, the duties and responsibilities of a machine learning engineer are not limited to the ones mentioned above. They differ with experience level and company’s requirements. To provide you a deeper insight, we are listing three different levels of machine learning job descriptions:
Job Description for Machine Learning Internship
Machine learning internship is suitable for individuals pursuing or recently graduated with a degree in computer science or any subject related to artificial intelligence.
A real-time job description for a machine learning internship looks like this:
ABC Inotech (based in North Billerica, MA) is looking for graduate student interns to assist with the optimization of pilot-scale production projects using artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML).
As an ML intern, you will need to:
- Work closely with other mechanical and chemical engineers to develop and deploy ML models to pilot projects
- Perform data analysis tasks to understand model performance and derive insights from data sets
- Prepare reports and present the findings to peers unfamiliar with machine learning at project/program review meetings
Entry-Level Machine Learning Professional Job Description
Entry-level machine learning professionals deal with basic designing and developing tasks of machine learning algorithms.
Take a look at a real-time entry-level machine learning professional job description:
We are looking for excellent machine learning engineers who can take initiatives, design and develop advanced machine learning solutions, and deploy them directly to the company's global platform. A successful candidate will have machine learning expertise and good software engineering experience.
Being a machine learning professional at our company, you will deal with the following tasks:
- Work on image classifiers, object detectors, video understanding models, multi-modal classifiers, etc.
- Work with engineering teams to implement model pipelines and deploy the service
- Collaborate with product teams to define objectives and improve trust and safety strategy
- Collaborate with data analysts to understand and find data patterns
Senior-Level Machine Learning Professional Job Description
A senior machine learning professional deals with complex machine learning tasks and supervises junior machine learning professionals in developing machine learning-based applications.
For getting a deeper insight, let us take a look at a real-time senior machine learning engineer job description here:
We are hiring a senior ML engineer who can develop algorithms for Tesla's proprietary automated trading software, Autobidder. As an ML engineer, you will research, prototype, and benchmark new electricity price forecasts, deploy them to the field and monitor their performance. You will forecast other vital signals that are input to Autobidder trading algorithms.
The key responsibilities for this role are:
- Prototype, benchmark and deploy forecasting algorithms to improve power trading performance and maximize the value of large fleets of utility-scale storage assets and Virtual Power Plants.
- Design scalable and reliable data pipelines for production and monitor models
- Develop classification and prediction algorithms to detect new market conditions in real-time
- Identify, research, and analyze new data sources to improve model accuracy
- Work cross-functionally with optimization engineers, traders, market analysts, and software engineers to continuously improve performance
- Develop production code to run locally and in the cloud - debug and tune production systems
Data Analyst Job Description
Data analysis is a part of machine learning and the professionals with machine learning knowledge can get Data Analyst profile title. Here you can see a data analyst job description example related to machine learning skills and knowledge:
We seek a Data Analyst capable of ensuring synchronization and integrity our our data. As a data analyst, you will perform root cause analysis and detailed triage for data issues. The perfect fit for this position will implement fixes and improvements to data via configuration, engineering, and customer support team.
Additional responsibilities for this position are:
- Resolve internal and customer escalations under given deadline
- Prioritize daily tasks and ensure error-free execution
- Train new members on tools and processes to perform data analytics duties
- Manage file processing enhancements and EDI file schedule changes
- Process ad hoc test on enrollment files and production files
What is a Machine Learning Engineer?
A machine learning engineer is an IT professional who researches, designs, and builds self-running AI systems for automating predictive models.
The fundamental duty of a professional machine learning engineer is to design and build Artificial Intelligence algorithms with self-learning capabilities to make precise predictions for next-level automation.
Machine Learning Career
A machine learning professional can wear many hats with different profile titles. Generally, an ML engineer plays a vital role in larger data science teams.
Machine learning professionals work as an active medium between data scientists to construct machine learning and AI systems.
Average Machine Learning Salary
Image Source: Indeed
Machine learning is one of the highest-paid professions across the globe. According to a recent report by Indeed, the average salary of an ML engineer in the United States is USD 135,857.
Highest Paying Cities
Apart from the education and experience level, the location of a company is the most significant factor that determines the salary of a machine learning engineer.
Let us take a look at some of the highest paying cities for an ML engineer in the United States:
|City Name||Average Salary|
|San Francisco Bay Area, CA||USD 193,485|
|Cupertino, CA||USD 186,665|
|San Francisco, CA||USD 166,742|
|Santa Clara, CA||USD 165,132|
|Austin, TX||USD 164,488|
|San Diego, CA||USD 162,444|
|Bellevue, WA||USD 149,943|
|New York, NY||USD 139,789|
Difference Between Machine Learning Engineer & Data Scientist
A machine learning engineer and a data scientist profiles have a lot in common. For example, both profiles have to deal with bulky data, need to have specific qualifications, and work on similar technologies.
The major difference between these two profiles is that a Machine Learning engineer focuses on developing and managing Artificial Intelligence Systems and predictive models. However, a data scientist aims to extract useful insights from bulky data.
Educational Requirements to Become a Machine Learning Engineer
You can start your career as a machine learning engineer with a bachelor’s degree in computer science or mathematics.
However, most recruiters hiring for an ML engineer prefer applicants with a master’s degree or doctorate in similar domains.
Apart from this, familiarity with programming languages like Python, C++, and Java will also be a job-winning quality for a machine learning engineer profile.
IT Skills Needed to Become a Machine Learning Engineer
To grow as an ML engineer at an exponentially increasing pace, you will have to keep updating your skillset with the latest tools and technologies.
Here is a list of some trending and valuable machine learning engineer skills that can help you in shaping a marvelous machine learning career:
|Technical Skills||Soft Skills|
|Applied Mathematics||Domain Knowledge|
|Neural Network Architectures||Communication Skills|
|Data Modeling & Evaluation||Rapid Prototyping|
|Advanced Signal Processing Techniques||Time Management|
|Natural Language Processing||Bent Towards Constant Learning|
|Audio Video Processing||Analytical Skills|
|Reinforcement Learning||Computer Science Fundamentals|
|Programming Languages Like Java & C++||Fundamentals of Software Engineering|
10 Best Machine Learning Engineering Courses
You can find numerous machine learning courses online that can polish and upgrade your machine learning skills. However, picking out the best one of them can still be a time-consuming process.
To save your time and guide you towards a prosperous machine learning career, we have listed the top 10 machine learning engineering courses here:
- Become a Machine Learning Engineer by Kaggle- AWS | Udacity
- Post Graduate Certificate Program in AI and Machine Learning by Purdue University | Simplilearn
- Designing & Building AI Products and Services | MIT xPRO
- AI Applications for Growth | Kellogg School of Management
- Applied Machine Learning Certificate Program by Purdue University | Simplilearn
- Machine Learning: From Data to Decisions | MIT Professional Education
- Become a Machine Learning Engineer for MS Azure | Udacity
- Machine Learning Course by Stanford University | Coursera
- Machine Learning Engineering Courses | edX
- Machine Learning | Stanford Online
Machine Learning Careers
Machine learning can be considered a skill or methodology to make machines smarter and minimize human efforts to complete any task. Here are some profiles that work for similar operations:
|Profile Title||Essential Machine Learning Skills|
|Data Engineer||R, Python, Databases, Virtual Machines, Cloud Environment, MapReduce, Hadoop|
|Machine Learning Engineer||Data Analysis & Feature Engineering, ML Metrics, ML Algorithm, Cross Validation, Mathematics, Statistics|
|Machine Learning Scientist||Robotics, Machine Learning, Cognitive Science, Engineering, Mathematics, and Mathematical Models|
Hiration Resume Builder
After completing your educational degree suitable for the machine learning career and checking out the requirements of some companies via online portals, you will need a machine learning resume to apply for ML engineer jobs.
To ease the resume-building process, you can leverage Hiration’s Online Resume Builder built upon AI technology to assist you while making your resume in the best possible manner.
Apart from this, you can also check out additional AI-based career-boosting tools offered by Hiration that include:
Have a glance at the key takeaways of this blog:
- Machine Learning is a part of Artificial Intelligence and not a synonym to it
- The majority of recruiters prefer a master’s or doctorate in either computer science or mathematics for a machine learning job opportunity
- You need to analyze the job description before applying for a machine learning engineer job
- Updating your machine learning skills will benefit you in growing better as a machine learning engineer
- The location of a company also plays a significant role in determining a machine learning engineer salary
These points and guidelines will help you in analyzing a machine learning engineer job description effectively. Still, if you need any other career assistance, feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.