What is an administrative assistant job description?
An administrative assistant's daily tasks in the office include calendar management, scheduling meetings, answering calls, and filing paperwork.
They are involved in assisting with the day-to-day operations in the office to ensure smooth functioning at the workplace.
And to land a for the stated profile, you need to understand the administrative assistant job description.
Read on to get an insight into the following FAQs:
- What does an administrative assistant do?
- What are the top skills of an administrative assistant?
- How much do most administrative assistants make?
- What are the career opportunities for administrative assistants?
Administrative Assistant Job Description
An administrative assistant plays a supportive role!
Professionals in this role are responsible for providing administrative and clerical services with the ability to multitask, manage schedules, and meet changing deadlines.
Administrative assistants are required to provide support to the managers and employees by assisting in daily office needs and operating the company’s general administrative activities.
Also Read: How to draft the perfect administrative assistant resume
What Is an Administrative Assistant?
Administrative assistants are the glue that holds modern organizations together.
- They are responsible for helping businesses, governments, and nonprofit organizations run effectively.
- They support an executive, group, department, or organization, especially by handling administrative tasks.
- They are in charge of a variety of clerical responsibilities and duties.
What Does an Administrative Assistant Do?
Administrative assistants provide the organization with administrative support!
Assisting other employees by organizing data, drafting messages, scheduling appointments is a part of their daily tasks.
Administrative assistants utilize computers to manage spreadsheets, compose emails, maintain databases, and prepare presentations and reports.
They may also negotiate with vendors, purchase order supplies, manage inventory and get information from a variety of sources.
What are Administrative Duties and Responsibilities?
Administrative assistants play a significant role in maintaining a smooth workflow in the office.
Some common administrative assistant duties are listed below:
- Manage workflow of daily organizational chores
- Helping in training staff members and new hires
- Enforce and keep a track of programs as directed by management
- Responsible for upkeep of office equipment, including computers, copy and fax machines
- Checking inventory and ordering items supplies
- Providing real-time scheduling support
- Answer phone and direct calls and routing callers to the appropriate party.
- Using computer skills to generate reports, transcribe minutes, create presentations, and conduct research.
- Anticipating the needs of others to a positive experience
Also Read: What are the top administrative duties?
Administrative Assistant Requirements
Hiring managers look for applicants who possess the following requirements:
- An associate’s degree
- Prior experience in the administrative sector
- Possess computer skills
- Have an eye for detail
- Be proactive
- Create a positive work environment
High school education for becoming an administrative assistant is a prerequisite. Also, they must have the ability to use word processing or spreadsheet programs.
Professionals in this sector need to communicate with a multi-functional team while ensuring smooth operation in the office.
Administrative Assistant Skills
Administrative assistants should possess a number of skills including both technical skills and soft skills. As per the job position and title, a long list of skills and requirements should be mentioned.
Here we have listed some common skills a company can add while seeking the right candidate:
|Office Management||Team Coordination|
|Supply Management||Inventory Control|
Administrative Assistant Payscale
Salary depends on the nature of the business. The administrative assistant's employment and scope of duties decide their pay scale.
The average admin assistant salary in the US is $49,832 per year while the average earning is $18.51 per hour.
According to a recent survey, some cities that did well in ranking tended to have low living expenses while also having high numbers of administrative assistant positions. We have listed the top 3 states to consider for high payscale:
- Alaska: Average Annual Salary:$48,899
- California: Average Annual Salary:$45,345
- Massachusetts: Average Annual Salary:$41,712
Career Opportunities for Administrative Assistants
Working as an administrative assistant prepares you for a variety of jobs in different sectors. Knowing your career possibilities in this sector might guide you to make a better and more informed, choice for your future.
The job market for administrative assistants is huge. You can search for job listings under the title administrative assistant jobs near me.
Check out the three in-demand profiles that can help you boost your careers by acquiring administrative assistant qualifications and skillset.
Project Administrative Assistant
A project administrative assistant coordinates the company's project activities. They manage schedules, arrange assignments and communicate progress to all team members.
They also share responsibilities such as preparing action plans, analyzing risks and opportunities.
Read the project administrative assistant job description template given out by recruiters during the job application process to understand the requirements of an organization.
Executive Administrative Assistant
An executive administrative assistant support executives in the workplace with high-level administrative tasks such as answering calls, organizing meetings, managing executive request, and other office tasks.
The executive administrative assistant job description templates offer a summary of the most significant duties and responsibilities of professionals in the stated field.
Go through the job description given out by potential employers to align your skill set with their requirements.
Medical Administrative Assistant
The medical administrative assistant performs secretarial duties. They possess specific knowledge of medical terminology and medical procedures.
Scheduling and confirming patient appointments, billing Patients, insurance claims are a few of the duties they perform.
The medical administrative assistant job description outlines the most important duties and responsibilities of this position. They are drafted according to the requirements of the specific medical centers and hospitals.
- Always read the administrative assistant job descriptions carefully before drafting your resume.
- Get certified in relevant courses, upskill yourself with the latest skill set and sign up for internships to land administrative assistant jobs.
- Gain professional experience to land a higher admin assistant salary and be identified as an efficient professional.
Go to Hiration's career platform which has 24x7 chat support to help you with professional assistance.
You can also write to us at email@example.com.