How to write a mechanical engineer cover letter?
Whether you are looking for an entry-level mechanical engineer job position or have been in this career for a long time, searching for a new job can hinge on you writing a good engineer cover letter.
A hiring manager receives many applications during the hiring process. If you want to secure the job position, your both cover letter and resume must stand out.
With that being said, It has to be effective and attractive at the very first glance so that the recruiter feels it to be worth his time to spend more time evaluating you.
If you are pondering whether a cover letter is effective in getting you a job. Well, 83% of recruiter says cover letters are really important in your job search journey. This guide will accentuate how you can create an effective cover letter for mechanical engineer.
Here's a summary of our mechanical engineer cover letter blog:
- Always include appropriate greetings and salutations to whom the cover letter is addressed.
- Ensure that the content of your cover letter broke down into short paragraphs.
- Your cover letter closings should be short and brief.
- Always proofread your cover letter before you send them out.
Here are a few key things to be clear of to write an excellent mechanical engineer cover letter:
- Do mechanical engineers need a cover letter?
- What is the difference between a mechanical engineer resume and a cover letter?
- What should an engineering cover letter include?
- How to draft an effective cover letter?
Hiration's Online Cover Letter Builder provides you with the best features that can elevate your cover letters.
What is a Cover Letter for Mechanical Engineer?
A cover letter is a personalized document you send the hiring manager along with your resume as to why you are an ideal candidate for the job position. A cover letter plays an important role and is different from your resume.
A well-written engineering cover letter can significantly increase your chances of landing the interview. As an engineer, you know the importance of getting the details right. An excellent cover letter is tailored specifically to the job position and the company you are targeting.
Use the coveted space to fill in any gaps in your resume, and give a hiring manager some insight into your professional background. It is a narrative highlighting your qualifications and skills relevant to the job.
If you are an experienced mechanical engineer, demonstrate a work history with versatility in building, drawing, designing, and producing products or large structures.
Suppose you are a fresher looking for an entry-level engineering job. In that case, you can use the coveted space to focus on the relevant skills you acquired by various volunteering and other activities in college.
Difference Between an Engineering Cover Letter and a Resume
While both cover letter and resume are your marketing tools to get you a job, there's a difference between the two. Let's have a look-
- A resume gives an overview of your professional work history, while a cover letter expresses your interest and enthusiasm to work for the organization and how you can contribute to their growth and success.
- A resume consists of specific sections, while a cover consists of 3-4 paragraphs of text- Introduction, Body, and Conclusion.
- Resumes are objective with a professional tone, while cover letters are subjective with a conversational tone.
What is the Structure of an Engineering Cover Letter?
A cover letter is a 3-4 paragraph narrative of your professional background with five key components-
A header of the cover letter includes your full name, Job title, contact number, professional email id, and location.
You can also add a link to your LinkedIn, GitHub, Twitter, etc. if you think they can add value to the cover letter.
Here's an example of the engineering cover letter header-
Getting a name to address a cover letter is important to avoid the generic greeting as "To Whom It May Concern" or "Dear Sir/Madam".
Using a generic salutation can make things look like you have not taken the effort to do your research. If you can't find the hiring manager's name to address, look for the options you can use instead.
Here's an example of the salutation for the cover letter for mechanical engineer-
The cover letter's body focuses on the job position you are applying for and how your skills and qualifications align with what they seek. The body section of the engineering cover letter includes-
- First Paragraph: The first paragraph of the cover letter focuses on your interest in the job position you are applying for and your qualifications and interests that demonstrate your suitability for the role.
- Second Paragraph: The second paragraph highlights the key competencies you have held in the past relevant to the job position.
- Third Paragraph: In your third paragraph, pepper in some details that reflect that you have done your research. Mention why you consider the organization to be your most valued employer.
- Fourth Paragraph: End your paragraph with a call to action. Request the hiring manager politely to discuss your suitability for the position in call or in person.
Here's an example of a cover letter body section:
Cover Letter Closing
Your mechanical engineer cover letter closings should be short and brief.
It should be formal like "Sincerely, or "Best Regards". Avoid using informal cover letter closings like "Cheers" or "Have a wonderful day".
Always maintain a professional tone in your cover letter closings.
Here's an example of engineer cover letter closing:
Mechanical Engineer Resume Sample
Tips to Make Engineering Cover Letter More Effective
Spotting a generic resume for the hiring manager is difficult, and You can even use the same resume for a profile in different companies. A resume highlights your skills and qualifications in particular.
But spotting a generic cover letter is no mammoth task because it is more directly focused on the organization. An effective job-winning cover letter for mechanical engineer is tailored specifically to every organization you apply to.
With that being said, here are a few tips for writing an effective engineering cover letter ...
Research the Company
Before you start to write any cover letter, make sure you do good research about the company. A cover letter is always focused on the organization's needs.
Let's have a look at how should you do your research about the company:
Research the company's history, goals, and vision. For the same, you can read articles about the company, refer to the company's website, and look at their social media handles.
Get a clear picture of what the company does and what they expect out of this job role.
Search for the hiring manager's name to address the cover letter to the right person. It also showcases your efforts and avoids making the cover letter look generic.
While writing the cover letter pepper in your skills and qualifications that align with the company's goals and vision. Use the coveted space to write what it is that attracts you to work with the organization.
Explain any Red Flags in Your Resume
A cover letter can prove to be a savior for you if have any gaps in your resume. Be it in your employment dates or education dates. They might raise a few questions in the minds of the hiring manager.
As a matter of fact, You have no space to explain them in detail as the space is scarce. You can validate such doubts with veracious reason. Do not provide any falsified reasons.
Suppose you are changing your career field, and your resume doesn't show much professional experience in the same. The cover letter is your opportunity to convince the hiring manager of what makes you a suitable candidate for the job position.
Focus on the Length
A cover letter is usually a 3-4 paragraph summary highlighting your skills and qualifications for the job position you are applying to.
Cover letter includes only relevant details expressing your interest and enthusiasm for the job role you are applying for.
Make sure that the cover letter does not exceed 1 page. It must be short enough to cover all the important details but short enough to absorb the relevant details at a glance.
If the cover letter exceeds 1 page, you need to work with font, margin, and white spacing. That we will discuss it soon on the way. Keep yourself hook to learn more.
It is crucial to proofread the cover letter and resume before sending them to the hiring manager. Let's check out how to do effective proofreading-
Check for grammatical errors and typos, as they can prove to be a big turnoff.
Proofread that you have not missed out on any vital details in your engineering cover letter that is crucial for the job position.
Read the cover letter aloud from end to end and ensure that you don't stumble on any sentence. If you do, there are higher chances that the hiring manager will do as well.
Ensure that you have concluded your engineering cover letter in 3-4 paragraphs maximum, and it doesn't exceed a page.
Ensure the formatting and file format before you send the final cover letter for the job position.
Additional Tips for An Engineering Cover Letter
A cover letter is one of the first impressions you will make on an employer. Therefore it is imperative to do it right. Minor details can make or break the deal of landing you to interview.
A cover letter formatted incorrectly can look cluttered and seem unreadable. A hiring manager can decide not to read the cover letter at all. Font type, size, letter spacing, etc. are some formatting tips you should keep in mind.
Let's have a look at the formatting tips for a cover letter in detail:
- Font choice: Use a minimal and clean format for both resume and cover letter. Make sure that you choose the same font for both cover letter and resume. It showcases professionalism and attention to detail. Some recommended fonts for engineering cover letter is Arial, Calibri, Times New Roman, Verdana. The ideal font size is 10 or 12 point size.
- Spacing: Enough white spacing in cover letter is cardinal to make it readable and interesting. It is advisable to keep at least 1" margin on all sides of the cover letter for mechanical engineer. Make sure that there is enough spacing between the paragraphs to make them easy to read.
- File format: Always send the cover letter to the hiring manager in pdf format. Do not send in Docs, JPEG, or PNG format. Always save your engineering cover letter in the format of Your-Name-Job-Title-Cover-Letter.PDF.
For Example, "John Robert-Marketing Analyst-Cover-Letter".
Here's a quick roundup of the guide to writing a cover letter for mechanical engineer-
- Always use a hiring manager's name to address your engineering cover letter. Avoid using generic salutations.
- Start the cover letter with a strong opening paragraph to hook the reader to read till the end.
- Ensure that you have included all the vital details in the cover letter and it doesn't exceed one page.
- Make sure that you format your engineering cover letter with the ideal font type and size with enough white spacing between the paragraphs.
- Always close it with a compelling call to action. Request the interviewer to call you for an interview to discuss your suitability further.
- Do not forget to enclose your resume at the end of the cover letter for mechanical engineer.
Go to our Online Resume Builder and get professional assistance to frame your mechanical engineer resume as well as a cover letter.
To create a stellar mechanical engineer cover letter, go to Hiration Cover Letter Builder and you can choose any of our 20+ cover letter templates that are ATS friendly.
Hiration can also help you prepare for an interview and boost your confidence with an extensive database of 20,000+ interview questions and sample answers for 150+ work profiles.
You can also avail yourself of our Resume Review Service, where you can upload your existing mechanical engineer resume on our Online Resume Builder and get insight from professionals on what changes you can make in your resume to make it shortlist-worthy.
Go to Hiration career platform which has 24/7 chat support and get professional assistance with all your job & career-related queries. You can also write to us at email@example.com and we will make sure to reach out to you as soon as possible.