The art involving domestic sciences is called housekeeping.
In American schools, the subject is referred to as home economics. The practical application of this subject includes operations such as maintenance or record-keeping in an organization.
What does a housekeeper do? The housekeeping duties include taking care of a property’s general cleanliness and providing sanitary amenities to its guests or residents.
Other housekeeping duties can be specific to the housekeeper jobs you target. For example, a hotel housekeeper job description will state different requirements when compared with a hospital housekeeping job description.
One thing which is very important in any housekeeping job description is the CTA. Proper contact details should be mentioned at the end of the housekeeping job description for interested candidates to contact employers.
We have amassed housekeeping job descriptions from several job sites and curated a sample containing the most common housekeeping skills and duties.
Going ahead, we will be shedding light on the following topics, starting with:
- What is Housekeeping?
- Sample Housekeeping Job Description
- What are the Types of Housekeeping?
- Responsibilities of Housekeeping Staff
- Are Housekeepers in Demand?
- How Do You Describe Housekeeping Duties on a Resume?
What is Housekeeping Job?
Housekeeping is a department in an organization, responsible for the cleanliness, maintenance, and aesthetic upkeep of rooms and surroundings.
The hospitality industry usually has a strong requirement for housekeeping staff because it is important for them to keep a spotless, tidy, and conveniently arranged space for their guests.
The effort that a housekeeping department makes has a direct bearing on the guest’s experience, evoking them to visit again.
Similar housekeeping duties fall on the shoulders of residential housekeepers. Besides the hospitality industry, professional housekeeping services are in high demand in hospitals, cruise liners, offices, and more.
Sample Housekeeper Job Description
We are willing to expand our professional housekeeping staff. We will evaluate your candidacy based on your ability to fulfill job requirements with integrity and attention to detail.
The goal is to maintain a clean and orderly environment for our guests as it is a critical factor in strengthening our reputation.
- Perform cleaning activities like sweeping, mopping, dusting, and polishing
- Maintain equipment and ensure there are no inadequacies
- Notify superiors if faced with any damages, deficits, or disturbances
- Deal with complaints/requests with patience and professionalism
- Check inventory time to time and restock/replace when appropriate
- Adhere to safety and sanitation standards at all times
Work Hours & Benefits
The work hours are flexible and seasonal, with possibility of overtime as need be. We provide facility discounts, paid vacation time, and childcare reimbursements.
Housekeeping Skill Requirement
- Demonstrated history as a Cleaner or Housekeeper
- Able to work with minimum supervision
- Customer-oriented and friendly
- Time management skills
- Proficient in spoken and written English
- Armed with a high-school degree or equivalent
Call to Action
You can mail us your job application at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 151-383-1524 for any concerns or queries.
5 Types of Housekeeper Jobs
Know the different types of housekeeper jobs available and the varied housekeeper duties that come with it:
Cleaner or Maid: Individuals hired by private homes and commercial sectors for basic cleaning of the property. This is a part-time job and tends to have fewer responsibilities than a regular housekeeping job.
Live-In Housekeeper: As part of the package, these professionals are provided with accommodation. They are in charge of cleanliness and maintenance of the complete property, also assisting with errands, cooking, child care, and security when the property is vacant.
Live-Out Housekeeper: With the same set of responsibilities as a live-in housekeeper, a live-out housekeeper is a popular choice for properties with confined space, and those that do not need full-time support.
House Manager: A housekeeper combined with house management is the next tier of support. This is a popular choice among luxury venues or residences which need additional support or have larger teams of household staff.
Housekeeping Companies: Companies that hire professional housekeepers and send them to properties requiring services. These companies have comparatively strict hiring conditions as your work will directly affect the company’s reputation.
15 Housekeeping Responsibilities in All Housekeeper Jobs
With our sample housekeeping job description, you must have developed an idea about the skills you need to fulfill housekeeping duties.
In this section, we will elaborate upon the housekeeping responsibilities that you will come across in all housekeeper jobs:
- Vacuum clean or shampoo carpets, rugs, draperies, and upholstery
- Dust and polish furniture and fittings
- Realign furniture and amenities according to prescribed layout
- Clean (with caution) metal fixtures and fittings
- Dispose of trash in a sanitary manner
- Clean washbasins, mirrors, and tubs
- Delicately clean glass surfaces
- Operate and maintain cleaning equipment
- Make beds and change sheets as required
- Sort, wash, iron, and arrange laundry
- Check up on commodities required and their expenditure
- Clean dishes and kitchen according to agreed hygiene standards
- Answer telephone and take messages
- Monitor and report necessary repairs/replacements
- Report any maintenance issues or safety hazards
Reflecting on relevant skills and past experiences to fulfill these responsibilities is significant. Hence, presenting a resume that aligns with the housekeeping job description will help you bag the job you’re targeting.
Housekeeping as a Career
Are housekeepers in demand? Yes, there is a growing demand for housekeepers in many industries and domestic setups. Though housekeepers perform the most physically demanding work, they often go unnoticed by a typical guest or employer.
Therefore, you must have no doubts about wanting to work as a housekeeper and try to work under an appreciating employer. Also, check all career options that demand similar skills to decide on the best suitable career for you before stepping into this career.
It can sometimes be difficult to figure out which housekeeper jobs might be ideal for you and your skills. Some things to consider are:
- Property size
- Live in or Live out
- Duties outside of cleaning
Also, if they need you to travel with them, or look after their property when they are away.
Try to fetch every detail out of your prospective employer as housekeeper jobs are in a very intimate environment with people entrusting you with their valuable belongings. Therefore, slightest deed on your part against the norms can cause unnecessary troubles.
So, make sure to thoroughly understand your housekeeping duties before signing-up for it.
How Do You Describe Housekeeping Duties on a Resume?
- Housekeeping refers to managing duties and day-to-day chores of an organization or domestic setup.
- There are five main types of housekeeper jobs: Cleaner or Maid, Live-In Housekeeper, Live-Out Housekeeper, House Manager, and Housekeeping Companies.
- Your housekeeping resume must align with the responsibilities mentioned in your housekeeping job description.
- Housekeeping is a physically demanding job, with management and multitasking skills. Make sure you assess yourself well before stepping into this career path.
With all our golden tips on housekeeping duties, make sure you polish your housekeeping skills and bag that job!
You can drop us a mail at email@example.com for any queries or concerns, with 24/7 chat support.
Hiration specializes in covering all your professional needs from cover letter & resume building, CV, interview preparations, LinkedIn review to building a digital portfolio.